Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
West Sacramento , California
Another Newbie...

Looking to get into a new 25-28 Flying cloud. Have had many other trailers in the past including two fifth wheels, three hybrids, one motorhome, one high wall tent trailer, and three regular travel trailers. Current tow vehicle is 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab with the Hemi 5.7 and 3.92 gears. Also have Equalizer WD and anti-sway set up on our 2014 Outback Terrain TRS 210 that I would be keeping after selling the trailer. Was kinda diggin the 26-28 models but another thread put a little cloud on that and I'm back to looking at the twin bed 25s. One kid out of the house in the fall and the other one three years behind. Want a trailer we could all use now but more in mind for just wife and me later. Would be nice to keep this one a long time and have no regrets or be looking to change in the future. Will be mostly weekend warrior stuff with a group of families that like to go to local parks together. Wondering if I can use my current truck for now and maybe get a 2500 Diesel in 3-4 years when we'll be looking to do a lot more country touring as a couple. Have looked at some at Bay Area dealer and going back tomorrow. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. We live in West Sacramento but have a place in North Tahoe. Figured TahoeMike sounded better than WestSacMike😀
TahoeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Yes, you should be fine for now. Look at the stickers in you door to verify, but in general your truck should tow about 10k pounds with the Hemi, 8 speed auto, and 3.92 gears. See https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...ing_charts.pdf for the basic numbers. A closer match based on options can be configured here http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/. Your payload is ,probably lighter at around 1300 with the Laramie options, so be smart, pack light, and take just what you need. Distribute the load properly and that truck should tow what you're looking for.
mwkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Also, you could look at a few minor upgrades to make everything a little more comfortable. First, LT tires are a must over the stock P tires. Second, look at the 1223V variable springs from TufTruck at http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....ducts_id=18391. These will help manage the tongue weight and payload better. Make the rear end more stable.

Another option is to add Timbrens to keep the suspension fro bottoming out, but some think that is harsh when the Timbrens hit the axle. I think the better solution is to do both the upgraded coil springs and the Timbrens. See https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...id=20161009715.
mwkersh is offline   Reply With Quote