Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2023, 05:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Another New Member, Looking for my First AS..Thanks in Advance for any help.

Hello,

New member here and just starting my search for a travel trailer and AS is at the top of my list. I'm just getting ready to retire and my wife and I would like to start doing a little traveling especially during the winter months so we can escape the cold New Jersey winters. I just purchased a 2022 GMC 2500 Dmax so I should be good with the TV. From the little research that I've started doing I think I've narrowed my size down to a 28 or the 30 if I can stretch the funds, looking possibly going new or a well kept used late model. I'm still trying to learn the differences between the models and price points so any help here is welcomed, actually I'm open to all the help and advice that everyone with some experience can offer because this is all new to me.

Thanks
John
Jersey John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:17 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

My best advise....

Look here for awhile...

Try to take your time and explore here.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-25-2023, 06:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from snowy Colorado: We were all new members at one time, and we all enjoyed learning all about Airstream models. I think you will find these Forums very helpful. I'm sure you have found info on the Airstream models on the internet at Airstream Inc website. That is a good place to start. And finding a good dealer nearby will help you visualize the floor layouts of different models. Buying a slightly used model will save a bunch of money.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:42 PM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome to the forum. I cannot begin to share all the things I've learned here. A great group of people.

You are only about 30 miles from one of the countries biggest (and perhaps best) AS dealers. That being Colonial AS.

I would plan on taking a trip there and spending a day or more looking at and sitting in as many models as you think you would like. Try to picture yourself going thru the motions as if you were spending a day inside. You will have a lot of fun.

Enjoy the search and let us know what you decide upon.

Best wishes!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
My best advise....

Look here for awhile...

Try to take your time and explore here.

Bob
🇺🇸
Thank You for the links Bob!
Old 01-25-2023, 06:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Welcome from snowy Colorado: We were all new members at one time, and we all enjoyed learning all about Airstream models. I think you will find these Forums very helpful. I'm sure you have found info on the Airstream models on the internet at Airstream Inc website. That is a good place to start. And finding a good dealer nearby will help you visualize the floor layouts of different models. Buying a slightly used model will save a bunch of money.

David
Thanks David, I will definitely be looking at used late model Airstreams.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:46 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I cannot begin to share all the things I've learned here. A great group of people.

You are only about 30 miles from one of the countries biggest (and perhaps best) AS dealers. That being Colonial AS.

I would plan on taking a trip there and spending a day or more looking at and sitting in as many models as you think you would like. Try to picture yourself going thru the motions as if you were spending a day inside. You will have a lot of fun.

Enjoy the search and let us know what you decide upon.

Best wishes!
Thank You! Colonial is only about 30 minutes from my home, the wife and will definitely be spending some time there.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:14 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Welcome Jersey John...We live just south of you and would be glad to share our experiences with you. I sent you a private message with contact info. Reach out anytime.

Best regards
Old 01-28-2023, 08:39 AM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I purchased my current and previous Airstreams from the classifieds on this site - I have been very satisfied. I also purchased my truck here.

Welcome and good luck. Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Welcome to the Forum! If it were me, knowing what I know (some say that ain't much!) I would get up to Colonial AS if you can and spend some time in a couple units...imagine how you would use them yourselves, whats important; lounging watching TV, dinette set up, cooking, bathing, sleeping-Twin or Queen. (Twins have more storage inside and out, offer more sleeping surface total, and give you room to make the bed, change, etc.

Lots of help here if you post questions after you have been in a few units. Good luck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:01 PM   #11

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Haskell , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
Thank You! Colonial is only about 30 minutes from my home, the wife and will definitely be spending some time there.
The Colonial team is great. We are at the top of the state and made our first trip there last March. We are also in that close to retirement mode (4 years out) and figured why wait. We walked out with a purchase order for a ‘23 FC 23fbq. We were sold instantly on the workmanship and overall quality. Picked it up in December. What a great experience all around. We are all in and so excited for all our upcoming adventures we have planned this year and for our retirement years.
dotyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:16 PM   #12
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
If I had to do it again, and was focused on a used trailer, I would look at the "Limited" series. All gorgeous hardwoods inside, imho they were the most beautiful of Airstreams. Best of luck in your search. Colonial really is the best dealership.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
As other have said, check out Colonial but shop around for price. For us, they wouldn't negotiate and we saved $15,000 by going out-of-state. They are having an "event" on February 17th and 18th so that would be a good opportunity to see as many models as possible.

We were facing the same dilemma - 28' or 30'. We narrowed it down to one of those floor plans because we really liked the idea of a separate dining area from the lounging area. We chose the 28' because we felt that with only the 2 of us, the extra size wasn't needed, being a newbie the shorter length seemed more manageable, and the cost savings.

Also, as the trailer size increases, there may be more restrictions on campsite availability.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:42 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Lucky Dog, thank you, I’m on vacation this week but will reach out when I get back.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:13 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Iola , Texas
Counter space

In the late models, it seems the 30’ models have a significant advantage in counter space over the 28’ models. Also, remember you can customize them to your heart’s content. Don’t get stuck on a small feature or decor, when it can be changed or added.

Most importantly, be sure and maximize your AS experience by joining the Airstream Club and meet fun and friendly people.
2022 Silverado 2500 Duramax High Country
Aggies in a Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:48 AM   #16
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies in a Cloud View Post
In the late models, it seems the 30’ models have a significant advantage in counter space over the 28’ models. Also, remember you can customize them to your heart’s content. Don’t get stuck on a small feature or decor, when it can be changed or added.

Most importantly, be sure and maximize your AS experience by joining the Airstream Club and meet fun and friendly people.
Excellent points and good advice!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies in a Cloud View Post

They do indeed, with the extra 2' length...you would hope so, right? If I was going 30', it would be the Classic 30', if not for the extra room, certainly for the couch with recliners at either end! But, wife says thats not happening!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:00 PM   #18
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Smile Welcome!

Greetings John!

I joined this great forum several years ago as a starting point to figure things out. So much to learn and absorb it’s almost overwhelming, but all the insightful members make it well worth the reading. Looks like you have plenty of TV capability so that really opens your options.

A few days ago our 2023 28’ FC RBQ arrived at the dealership for pickup. We’re driving up on Friday to see it. It was ordered almost exactly a year ago. We were originally told it would be Oct/Nov 22 delivery. Not sure how much delay there is for new orders now since the pandemic craze has simmered down.

We thought of buying a used one but since we plan on keeping ours for a number of years, a big consideration for us was the 2022’s and beyond have a composite material floor (can’t rot) instead of the wood/plywood/fiberboard type used previously. I read the new floors were introduced in 2021, so some of 2021’s will have them as well, but not all.

Happy shopping - Nate
Old 02-07-2023, 07:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Welcome.
Recommend studying up the floor plans and features of your choices on the Airstream dot com website, watching youtube videos of walk throughs, and also learning about the changes in the last couple of years on the floor plans you are considering so you know what features are important to you.

That being said, here are a few things that come to mind that I will describe as random things you may not notice at first but that might have changed your final decision .

Windows open and doors open. Does the open window interfere with keeping the screen door open?

Toilet area-- Is there a macerator pump adding complexity? Does the toilet sit over the black tank drain or is on the other side of the trailer? Get on your hands and knees in the bathroom--how easy is it to clean the bathroom floor area. Sit on the toilet. Is there enough elbow and knee room for you to do what you need to do here? Is there a daylight window in the bathroom for doing hair and makeup, or not? Do you like the bathroom storage?

Kitchen--Is there both a microwave and an oven? Is there enough storage in the kitchen for food, tools, dishes, pans. How is the counter space?

Dinette--How is the view from both sides? Does one person get stuck with a bad view? Is it comfortable to you?

Sofa/seating area. Does this work for you for watching TV? Reading? Using your laptop?

2 people cooped up together. Is there space that will work if you each want to do different activities? To watch different tv shows or movies? If one is sleeping can the other start their day? Shower and dress and make coffee while the other is sleeping? Is it possible to sleep separately if someone is sick?

Stuff--is there enough inside storage to keep all items you will use in the trailer, in the trailer? If you have special hobbies is there enough storage for your guitar or sewing machine?

Little friends-do you have pets and is there a good space for them? Do you need space for a kennel or dog bed or litter box?

View from bed. If you like to sleep with windows open, how's the view from bed? Do you have enough privacy?

Air-streamy-ness. Is this what makes you say "AHHHH"? Or do you just not like something ? For me for example the front booth area has a lot of air-streamy-ness.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:39 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
As other have said, check out Colonial but shop around for price. For us, they wouldn't negotiate and we saved $15,000 by going out-of-state. They are having an "event" on February 17th and 18th so that would be a good opportunity to see as many models as possible.

We were facing the same dilemma - 28' or 30'. We narrowed it down to one of those floor plans because we really liked the idea of a separate dining area from the lounging area. We chose the 28' because we felt that with only the 2 of us, the extra size wasn't needed, being a newbie the shorter length seemed more manageable, and the cost savings.

Also, as the trailer size increases, there may be more restrictions on campsite availability.
The wife and I will be at Colonial next weekend.