Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2023, 05:37 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 8
So the wife and I made it to Colonial on Saturday afternoon to check out the AS trailers and see what we think will fit our needs. The one thing that I definitely decided was that we want to go with a 30 footer, the 28 was nice but I just felt that the extra room in the 30 will fit our needs better.

Unfortunately they didn't have any new classics to look at, only the Flying Cloud and the Globe Trotter. I really liked the layout of the FC but to be honest I was disappointed in the overall quality for the price point. For the price that they are asking for these new trailers I didn't expect to find so many issues on brand new units and now it has me second guessing.

I will be honest they happen to have a 2015 30' classic that I looked at and the overall quality and feel of that trailer seemed much better than the 2023 units that we looked at. Unfortunately I didn't have a 2023 Classic to compare it to, Is the Classic that much better than the Flying Cloud in overall quality? I really like the layout of the FC but just felt it was lacking in quality.
Jersey John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 07:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
jeffmc306's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 2,193
Blog Entries: 4
Quality of fit and finish or quality of materials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
So the wife and I made it to Colonial on Saturday afternoon to check out the AS trailers and see what we think will fit our needs. The one thing that I definitely decided was that we want to go with a 30 footer, the 28 was nice but I just felt that the extra room in the 30 will fit our needs better.

Unfortunately they didn't have any new classics to look at, only the Flying Cloud and the Globe Trotter. I really liked the layout of the FC but to be honest I was disappointed in the overall quality for the price point. For the price that they are asking for these new trailers I didn't expect to find so many issues on brand new units and now it has me second guessing.

I will be honest they happen to have a 2015 30' classic that I looked at and the overall quality and feel of that trailer seemed much better than the 2023 units that we looked at. Unfortunately I didn't have a 2023 Classic to compare it to, Is the Classic that much better than the Flying Cloud in overall quality? I really like the layout of the FC but just felt it was lacking in quality.
Jersey John, when you say you were disappointed in the overall quality of the FC, are you speaking about the fit and finish or the materials? If you look hard enough you can find defects in any new AS no matter which model.

Everyone who’s purchased a new Airstream will tell you they’ve had a punch list of things for the dealer or JC to fix. I fixed small things myself and saved the rest for a trip to JC. This is why many on the forum recommend buying a used AS once the original owner straightened it out.

Now if you’re talking about the quality of materials, that’s why AS has different models (trim levels if you will). It’s like the old auto days, you could buy a Chevy but if you wanted a step up, you could choose a Pontiac, Buick, Olds or the Cadillac. Each one stepped up the trim but were still made in an assembly line.

In today’s trailer’s an Airstream is similar. An International is a step up from a FC and a Globetrotter up from the International, the Pottery Barn then the Classic. At each trim level, the quality of the materials gets better but each of them are made on the same assembly line and subject to assembly issues.

My guess is the 2015 Classic you saw had been well taken care of, all the minor issues corrected and had the best trim level of the time. You should look at a new Classic to see if that meets your expectations. For many of us, the “musts” and the “wants” are ultimately determined by budget. If budget wasn’t an issue, take a look at a Bowlus Luxury Trailer.

Good luck with your quest!
__________________
2019 27’ Globetrotter FBT Walnut/Dublin Slate
2018 FC23FB
2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Laramie Blue Ox 1000#
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 07:02 PM   #23
Trailer Sold, Waving
 
Acheron2010's Avatar
 
2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,032
I was once told by a wise man that "all Airstreams are Flying Clouds." Everything else is decoration. FC is the base functional model. Can you add the "quality" features you want to an FC? Or do you like all the glitter of the Classic. Personally I prefer the beauty of the Limited editions, but that's me.
__________________
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 26RBQ
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:52 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Jersey John, when you say you were disappointed in the overall quality of the FC, are you speaking about the fit and finish or the materials? If you look hard enough you can find defects in any new AS no matter which model.
It was the fit and finish that was disappointing, I understand the different models and the step up in level of material and or options but I was surprised to see so many defects in all the trailers we looked at. For example one trailer the bathroom door wouldn't close, extremely out of square, another trailer two of the kitchen draws wouldn't stay closed, in another one the handle was broken off the bathroom door and you couldn't open it. One of the trailers had trim that was falling off, it just looks like AS needs to step up their QC before units leave their production facilities, you're right many of the issues can be easily corrected but it was just surprising to see that many issues on brand new trailers.
Jersey John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:50 AM   #25
Man of means by no means
 
ForteePlus's Avatar
 
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 95
FWIW Joe, if there is anything I’ve learned after years of reading posts in this forum it is the Airstreams are not defect free/high quality like one might expect for the $$. It’s a shame the company doesn’t award bonuses for least amount of warranty claims for a given department vs higher production output. That said, by most accounts they are still better than most other offerings. Our ’tell’ was visiting many RV shows over the years and seeing all manner of things falling off of the SOB units whereas the AS’ were solid. If that much happens in a weekend of people opening and closing stuff we figured it wasn’t a good sign for the SOB’s. We’ve always liked the AS looks, interior simplicity, and the expected long term durability, but have since tempered our expectation of a defect-free unit.

FC vs Classic quality? I suspect zero difference. Just as with automobiles, a Mercedes C class isn’t any better or worse quality than the S class, it just cost less and has less stuff.

We visited our 28' FC a little over a week ago. It was missing some of the AIRSTREAM letters on the front which we were told is not unusual; still surprising to us though. One of our kitchen cabinet doors had a few bulges - the laminate has separated from the wood. There are many places along the inner aluminum seams where silicone(?) sealant was oozing out. It had yet to be ‘prepped’. The logo and door should be corrected by the time we go up this week to drag it home, but we expect to be picking silicone off the walls for a while. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2772r.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	428316  
__________________
~~
The universe is expanding so that should thin out the traffic.
ForteePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar
 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteePlus View Post
FWIW Joe, if there is anything I’ve learned after years of reading posts in this forum it is the Airstreams are not defect free/high quality like one might expect for the $$. It’s a shame the company doesn’t award bonuses for least amount of warranty claims for a given department vs higher production output. That said, by most accounts they are still better than most other offerings. Our ’tell’ was visiting many RV shows over the years and seeing all manner of things falling off of the SOB units whereas the AS’ were solid. If that much happens in a weekend of people opening and closing stuff we figured it wasn’t a good sign for the SOB’s. We’ve always liked the AS looks, interior simplicity, and the expected long term durability, but have since tempered our expectation of a defect-free unit.

FC vs Classic quality? I suspect zero difference. Just as with automobiles, a Mercedes C class isn’t any better or worse quality than the S class, it just cost less and has less stuff.

We visited our 28' FC a little over a week ago. It was missing some of the AIRSTREAM letters on the front which we were told is not unusual; still surprising to us though. One of our kitchen cabinet doors had a few bulges - the laminate has separated from the wood. There are many places along the inner aluminum seams where silicone(?) sealant was oozing out. It had yet to be ‘prepped’. The logo and door should be corrected by the time we go up this week to drag it home, but we expect to be picking silicone off the walls for a while. Fingers crossed.
As you point out, visiting an RV show and taking the time in SOB's or AS's, opening the drawers, cabinets, shower doors, etc...you will find all sorts of issues. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Last 2 AS's a 25'FCTwin and now our 28' FCT we purchased new. The 25' had no issues, other than Marathon tires. With the 28' only real "factory" issue I had was with alignment of the door, and a light switch flickering; no finish issues.

However, while underway with the 28 over the first couple years, I had several rivets pop, the shower door upper hinge broke and it fell to the floor, the hall the closet door fell off and was hanging by lower hinge, hanging cupboard and also closet at foot of bed started to come loose from overhead, and a cupboard door latch under sink broke. All these issues were taken care of by JC at no charge. The door, light switch, hanging closet and cupboard issues were fixed by JC when we visited for some upgrade mods...(Easystart for AC, add window in bathroom door, and some rivets that popped) Tech told me the rivets, hinge, and cabinet issues were caused by running too much PSI in my tires and they recommended I lower, which I did...that was 4 years ago...no more issues now, say for an "occasional" popped rivet...no big deal.

Friends of ours liked our 28' so much, they sold their new Lance 29', and bought a new FC28T 2022 model...they did have the laminate issue with the cabinets, but think thats all they experienced..dealer took care of it.

All these TT's and MH's have issues...some are worse than others. Remember the old saying, "hope your new car was not built on a Friday"!
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thanks in advance from New Folks KCC Member Introductions 5 03-26-2021 02:57 AM
Hi there, looking forward to chatting, and thanks in advance Avishai Member Introductions 5 10-01-2017 11:00 AM
Thanks in Advance and You're Invited Jamespio General Repair Forum 4 04-24-2013 10:16 PM
International Rally locations: how far in advance? eubank WBCCI Forum 14 07-01-2011 09:33 AM
Thanks for the thanks nilesrob Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 8 01-14-2010 07:03 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.