Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Another AS Newbie

Hi folks,
I'm in the process of looking at Airstreams for restoration. It's my dream to go fulltime in one someday (although the wife calls it a nightmare), but I figure once she sees that silver bullet shining in our driveway she'll fall in love. Looking at a 63 Flying Cloud next week that's been sitting a while. Wish me luck.

Live in AZ, work in CA, would like to live in the forest with my dogs and camera.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Here's your Good Luck wish...

I have found that merging dreams and nightmares can be an iffy proposition...

While we got away with tents and sleeping on the ground as a VERY young couple, any discussion of camping together turned to a list of minimum demands.. Solid walls (keep out critters), flush toilet and running water, shower (Mine..), Air Conditioning, and real kitchen (sinks/stove/microwave). Other items like size, interior decor and storage became discussion topics, and subject to negotiated settlements..

I'd recommend nailing down that list of must-haves or minimum conditions first, and then work the search from there... If your wife is just not willing to accept an "antique" or something that needs a lot of her labor to make habitable, then something already restored or a more recent one might be better starting point. Similarly, if getting a new tow vehicle isn't an option, be sure first unit can follow behind what you have.. That might at least get you some shorter trips together with improved chances for happiness, which will give you a starting point to discuss longer trips.

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Wife? Labor?

I kid, I kid. She will be the interior decorator. Unfortunately, finances at the moment dictate a fixer upper. Fortunately, my 3/4T Silverado will pull most anything out there.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome and good luck. Prepare to become alumitized.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
1975 25' Trade Wind

1975 25' Tradewind
Los Luceros , New Mexico
Welcome to the club dude!!.... I just joined a couple of weeks ago, although I did manage to watch for awhile first, It does take nerve and willingness to be here, oh yeah and perserverance. At the minimum you need at least an aluminum dream. Glad to have you a member, do'nt know much but, willing to help if possible. Good luck, see you in the funny pages, if not on this website.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Condoluminum just typed a bunch of wise advice. (For free )
If you plan on spending much time in the A.S., take some time to look at different floor plans, options available in the years you can afford, etc. I understand working within a budget (Believe me). But within any budget are a number of choices. If your wife is like mine - and I mean no disrespect to either of them - even though she's the "interior decorator", she WILL have opinions on items that you deem to fall in your arena. But then I'm sure I didn't have to tell you that.
Just take your time, make an informed decision.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #7
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. Hope to see you folks down the road someday.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:19 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Greetings

Welcome to the forum and to Airstreaming. I'm sure after a couple of short trips your wife will enjoy it as much as you. Make sure to listen to her concerns and try to address them as best you can. Try listening to the Vintage Airstream Pod cast at the VAP.com they can give you great ideas and make camping sound like the only way to go. My wife and I love it. They even answered two of my questions on line.

Good Luck
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Welcome dmaiden. I wish I would have joined before we plunged into our AS but what do they say hind sight is 20/20?? Any way I have really enjoyed it and we are going to our first forum rally in October so, good luck!

Also, Spartan thanks for the tip about www.thevap.com I have tried to figure this out for a couple of weeks and finally today figured it out from your note.
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLogger
Also, Spartan thanks for the tip about www.thevap.com I have tried to figure this out for a couple of weeks and finally today figured it out from your note.
No problem look forward to seeing you at the rally will be in #47. I will bring some CD's of past shows if you want.
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote