Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Almost new Airstream Owner

My wife and I have been researching, soul searching and everything else in deciding if the RV thing is for us. We homeschool our two boys, have a dog and I get 3 twentyone day vacations a year. Plus I work a 7 on 7 off schedule when not vacationing.

So RV traveling thing makes a lot of sense to see the country but also to give our children hands on education on not only our country's history but the possibility of Canada and Mexico too.

We head off tomorrow on a 5 hour drive to investigate a 2000 34' Limited that's for sale. I know I need to ensure all the appliances and equipment work, along with the awnings and windows. But what else should I be cognizant of?

The seller also has an appropriate 3/4 ton diesel tow vehicle that he would like to sell with the trailer too. Includes the Reese hitch.

This is the sellers 3rd Airstream and they're selling due to health issues.

Both trailer and truck have been garaged when not used in a 41' garage. So it seems to me that the gear has been well taken care of.

Thanks for listening and any and all input are welcome!
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Sounds like you have the right ideas! My husband works a 7 on 7 off schedule and it comes in handy for getting away. (He doesn't get the 21-day vacations though...)

The Forums will come in very useful for you. You might want to do a search for '2000 34-foot limited' to see if anyone has any information about them. One other thing that you might want to research is the axles, although this is such a new rig.

Happy trails.
WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLY 54
Sounds like you have the right ideas! My husband works a 7 on 7 off schedule and it comes in handy for getting away. (He doesn't get the 21-day vacations though...)

The Forums will come in very useful for you. You might want to do a search for '2000 34-foot limited' to see if anyone has any information about them. One other thing that you might want to research is the axles, although this is such a new rig.

Happy trails.
The trailer has new tires, new water heater element, and new skylight. They've also installed a new wood floor, however, I don't know how long ago.

They told me the trips they've made with the trailer and doing some quick math I figure about 30k on the trailer.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. It sounds like you may have found a gem. A 34' Mothership should be comfortable for your family. You are on the right track checking out all of the mechanical systems. Beyond that, a close inspection should tell the rest of the tale. Buying as a unit with a tow vehicle could definitely an advantage for a new RVer. This gives you a rig that removes some of the guess work of selecting a tow vehicle. Good luck.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Welcome to the Forums. It sounds like you may have found a gem. A 34' Mothership should be comfortable for your family. You are on the right track checking out all of the mechanical systems. Beyond that, a close inspection should tell the rest of the tale. Buying as a unit with a tow vehicle could definitely an advantage for a new RVer. This gives you a rig that removes some of the guess work of selecting a tow vehicle. Good luck.
By buying used I figured if this RV thing wasn't our cup of tea, I wouldn't lose my shirt selling down the road. Especially if I buy right to begin with.

I will be selling one of my existing vehicles and use the tow vehicle for my main transportation. But then, my existing ride sits at the airport 7 days at a time. Btwn our two existing vehicles our total mileage is 35k for our 3 year old car and one year old car. So I wouldn't be putting a lot of mileage day to day on the used 2000 F-250 I'm looking at.

Its just really hard to justify 50k for a new truck at this moment.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
too bad you're on the east coast

We'll be listing our completely restored 1963 Airstream and trading in our 2004 F250 within the next month or so. (we thought we'd polish her up before listing). We're coming off of almost 2 years full time!

If you don't buy this rig and happen to be coming out to Vegas, let us know!

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcloud
We'll be listing our completely restored 1963 Airstream and trading in our 2004 F250 within the next month or so. (we thought we'd polish her up before listing). We're coming off of almost 2 years full time!

If you don't buy this rig and happen to be coming out to Vegas, let us know!
This is a great combo!!! I have seen it and would recomend this to any one interested in a great Vintage Airstream that has been completely restored!!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
This is a great combo!!! I have seen it and would recomend this to any one interested in a great Vintage Airstream that has been completely restored!!
Shucks - thanks Abe! I love your trailer too!

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote