Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 16' Bambi
mountain view , California
Wink Almost Here, our new, 2002 Bami

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post! I’ve been looking for a small (possibly used but newer) travel trailer for a couple of years, since we got rid of our VW Camper. I never thought we’d be able to get an Airstream, and searched for something else, something less expensive and practical. But the more I looked the less I liked of what other manufacturers had to offer. So I recently closed a deal for a 16’ Safari Bambi advertised in the classifieds of this site. Ha ha, it’s about as far away from me as possible, in Delaware, while our home’s in N. California! It was a v. steep learning curve, figuring out how to write a contract that would protect both me and the seller, finding an objective 3rd party to do an inspection, deciding the best way to transfer funds (escrow,) obtaining insurance, and finally locating a transporter to bring it to us. Hope I didn't forget something important! Whew.

Am I nuts? Why this particular one? Well I like its’ floorplan. Unlike most people I guess, I didn’t want a dinette, as I can’t see it as a relaxing place to sit for any length of time. And I’d prefer floor space to a permanent bed. So…. this little Bambi has a bigger, nicer kitchen, and an L-shaped couch that makes into a bed. I hope it’s as nice as the pictures, as we are still waiting for delivery. It’s to be put on a flatbed truck for transport, and we left the dates flexible so the shipper could get other compatible loads. So far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, thanks to this site I made up my mind, and I’m excited to be here. I'll post pics. upon arrival.

Linda
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Congrats on your new A/S! Sounds like you took the right steps for a long distance purchase. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Congratulations Linda and welcome to the Forums! I thought I was crazy picking up our Argosy in Delaware. Do you think it's that 'Mars being too close to Earth' thing making us so passionate? Hope you are absolutely thrilled with your adventures. This size trailer should make some very out-of-the-way campsites accessible to you. See http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2002 16' Bambi
How nice of you

Thanks for the welcome, Dennis and for the Links, Bob. I've already wasted an hour of my morning exploring camping spots in N. California!
My sister thinks I'm totally nuts, but we can't wait to get out there. Time's a wastin' and school's gonna start! Skip, my husband is a camper from way back, and he's been missing the forest.

Linda
Old 08-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Somewhere on , the East coast
I feel your pain

Yes, I do feel your pain as you wait. Our Bambi (19') came out of the Port of Oakland across the pond to Honolulu and I had visions of it going down in a storm or getting hijacked because it is so pretty. But Matson Lines did a good job and now she sits proudly looking over from whence she came. Enjoy the anticipation, it's part of the fun!
dijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2002 16' Bambi
Do I envy you1

Hi Dijer (?)

An airstream on the beach, on a hill, by swaying palm trees, it sounds perfect!

We expect the arrival of our little 16 footer by Friday. I am at home recovering from sleep apnea surgery last week -- 3 procedures on my throat! It was/is kind of a big & painful deal. So the waiting's easier as I've been sleeping (for a change ha ha.) I should be well enough to really enjoy the delivery. I'm so excited.

L