Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Cool Airstreamers are different

Hi All, I want to share a story about how odd the Airstream community is

We live near Seattle-Tacoma. This Weekend is the STP bicycle ride. I brought "Aunt Gladys" down to the Land Yatch Harbor to store her for two days so I could leave from work on Friday and bring her to the mid way point. The location was great for logisitcs. We will pedal the first hundred miles and "crash" in the Airstream, pedal the second hundred on Sunday and pick her up on the way back north.

While I was setting up, cleaning up and getting ready, I met Del, came out and welcomed me to the unit, gave me some great advice on where to park, told me the in's and out's of the area. Really nice guy. Made a point, dont leave your awning out, if it blows down you will be known as the Awning Guy

Next, a gentleman pulled up in a late model good looking car and said: "The Mrs. and me, along with another group are heading up the road for a steak, leave your vehicle connected, we will drive if you like, feel free to join us"

"No, thanks, I have to get back North". I dont even know the fellows name but he invited us out to dinner because we were new .

Carolyn stopped by next: "Nice to finally meet you, is there anything we can do to help? Hey nice trailer, welcome to the Airstream community."

"Oh Hi John, saw your WBCCI application, glad to finally meet you, everything OK?" "Sure, great"

The world can be kind of rough sometimes. Our country has lost some of it's civility lately, especially since the news is depressing and polarizing at times. But the Airstream community is alive and well, people are polite, freindly, kind. Every once in a while, I need a day like yesterday to remind me that people are usually good and good people are concentrated in this community. We bought the travel trailer in order to well, travel, enjoy our pets, kayak, bicycle, have fun and decompress from our difficult but rewarding jobs. We didnt know that Airstream people would throw in fellowship. So, I guess "Thanks for asking, we are doing fine and it is nice to meet you too".

In summary, I was there for an hour, met 5 people, got invited to dinner, (twice) and felt really welcome. Airstreamers are different, Thanks.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
I am on several different online forums, and am proud to say that this is the only one where EVERYONE is genuinely helpful, nice and encouraging. No snarkiness here! Airstreamers RULE!!!!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have yet to meet another Airstreamer on the road, but we've only been out a couple of times so far. We've seen a few on the highway, but didn't have the chance to stop and say hi.

We got ours to pursue similar interest as yours- I bike and trial my Border Collie and my wife fly fishes.

Desperate to use "The Troutstream" we'll be camping just an hour or so away this weekend. It's a nice spot- but close enough for me to sneak back to the real world for a few hours on Saturday to take care of some real life things.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Glad you had a great experience! Everyone I have met through the forums has been wonderful. I have learned so much and feel that if I can't do the work, I at least know enough about it to find the right repair person.

Don't forget to let us know how you do in the race! Enjoy!!!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Seattle To Portland Bicycle Ride

Well the STP is done, we rode from Seattle to Chehalis Washington on the first day, 113 miles with a few wrong turns and then 97 more on Sunday, into Portland.

To enter the RV park and see my beautiful Aluminum Mother in Law Suite was heaven. We got cleaned up, made a fire and grilled hamburgers.

By 9PM, the three of us riders were so tired we hit the beds, I took the big bed in the back, My friend Pete slept on the couch and Elisabeth used the Kitched Table Bed, fortuanley she is about 5'4".

We slept like the dead, it was wonderful. Got up, ate donuts and did another 97 miles to Portland. It was quite an experience. I am standing to draft this ride report for obvious reasons though.

The STP is a must do if you are a cyclist. Great fun, lots of challenges, lots of really nice people. Having Aunt Gladys there at the mid point made it very comforatable.

JOhn

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I know the feeling. I rode 400 miles from here in Florida to Savannah, GA one spring, and spent a couple of days standing a lot after it was over. No Airstream to crash in, just a tent and sleeping bag at the end of the day.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Glad you had a wonderful time. Hopefully your two companions on the ride picked up the Airstream dream and will acquire ones of their own in the future. I have noticed the camaraderie of Airstreamers in several ways. On the road the waves and lights flashing (I'm too slow on the CB-sigh) and in campgrounds the stroll over to say hello and have a peek inside of each other's trailers is fun.

Life is good when there's not only a silver lining on the clouds (reflection), but a silver lining on my driveway, behind my car, on the faces of those who come to have a look, and where I camp.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Totally agree,, Streamers are the best,,, helpful,, kind,, old fashioned values,, very comforting in our modern world,,, within the huge total,, i believe everyone can find their niche,,, given me faith too,, in the basic goodness of man,, wonderful,. donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Congrats on your back-to-back centuries!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Kinda well rounded folks, no sharp edges.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote