Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2008, 02:21 AM   #1

2006 28' International CCD
Palm Desert , California
Smile Airstream Lover says 'Hello!'

My name is Gisela. Two years ago, I decided to simplify my life and get rid of all dead energies that surrounded me at the time ... my 2 BR apartment was filled with boxes of papers, pictures, and items belonging to times long past. I gave everything away and bought a new Airstream 28' International CCD and moved into my 'silver universe' full time. I have lived happly ever since with those three companions: my Airstream, my motorcycle (a Honda VTX1300R) and my Honda Element, the latter of which is not able to, and was not intended to, tow my Airstream. I travel on my motorcycle, but not with my Airstream.

The challenge of living within 28 feet (with room to spare!) is to get to know the Airstream and its peculiarities. There are few RV technicians around here in Southern California, and towing the Airstream to a dealer for repairs is not an option. So, I hope that in joining this site, I might ask once in awhile for advice and get solutions and suggestions from you. I also hope that my love for this way of life might be reciprocated by those who KNOW that the Airstream Way of Life is a unique one.

Thank you all for being at this forum, and thank you for loving Airstream!
Gisela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Hi Gisela, I'm sure you already know this, but I have found there is an unmatched wealth of knowledge and talent and friendship on these forums, enjoy your time here.
Pete
Petethefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Welcome Gisela!

You'll find many kindred spirits here.

l ran away from home 8 years ago and have been on the road ever since!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
What a concept--an Airstream without a tow vehicle! In all the time you've owned it, have you ever moved?

We're all happy to have you here. Anyone happy in an Airstream is a natural for this group. Ask all your questions--most of them get answered, but there are a few orphan questions now and then, even here.

Zep
Old 05-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to these Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Ask away on any questions that you may have. There is a wealth of information here. Try the search function on the upper blue tool bar. Many Airstream issues have been addressed on the Forums in the past.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #6

Palm Desert , California
Thank you so much, Moosetags, Zeppelinium, Artstream and Petethefeet, for responding. I now have to find out how to respond to individual postings; for now, though, I enjoy all of your replies. Your online names inspire me to consider using a term of endearment that came to me when I bought my orbit: I called it my G-Stream! And no, I have not traveled with my orbit and really don't intend to. For traveling, I enjoy my bike; last year, I rode over 4,000 miles to North Dakota to visit a retired bucking bull, Little Yellow Jacket, in Mandan. I love traveling by bike, it is simpler yet and truly fulfilling. One does not need much for a happy life. The only thing is that I am missing a partner; after my divorce in 2001, I have experienced that not many men relate to my way of living and my independence. Oh well. Outside of my demanding work (occupational therapist in geriatric care), I have achieved a wonderfully simple life: no TV, no clutter, an authentic, no-fake, no-fuss surrounding: my G-Stream, then my bike, and a car. That's it.
I had some leakage challenges in the past, like the Shur-Flo after a cold spell in the winter. It took me forever to find it; one day, I finally took one bedroom wall out and found it; that also helped me to find out how the space behind and underneath the shower looks like. Great experience. I still don't know where to get a replacement of the LG Gas Detector, and I have not gotten into the RV Repair book yet to read about how to stop the pressure valve of the Atwood hot water tank from dripping; unfortunately, it drips almost directly into the burner. I don't enjoy reading manuals; I'm a hands-on person and enjoy finding out how things work by handling them. Otherwise, I have had no real problems. I installed a soft water system and reduced the water pressure as much as I could to protect the delicate pipes and pipe fittings, and I use an Anode plug for the hot water tank. Ghee, that sucker gets eroded away fast!!! Amazing! Oh, and I remember, I lost a few vent covers of the vent above the bedroom, and by replacing it I took a misstep and caused a dent in the roof, right where the round part ends straight into the roof. Oh well, again .... what can you do, live and learn....
I took the dining table benches out, placed the table against the bathroom wall and created an office-like desk ... voila, now I have a living room, an office, and a master bedroom, and all within 28 feet!!! When the time (and the money) is right, the sofa will be upholstered in black leather and the floor will be covered with black, wall-to-wall carpeting. See, that's what you get when you choose to live in an Airstream-Dream G-Stream!!!!
Thanks again for your warm welcome; I look forward to this online community. I feel at home.

Gis
Old 05-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Hi Gisela, welcome to the forum. I also am new here, and am still looking for my first Airstream. However, I have owned many rv's so feel I can answer a couple of your questions. The valve on your hot water tank, sometimes you can just open it with the tab on the top, and do it a couple of times, they get a little corrosion in them. If that doen't fix it, you can get a new one at any rv supply store, and replace it using a good pair of pliers. Be sure to turn off the water supply first. The LP detecter can also be purchased at an rv supply, but be careful replacing it, there is voltage in it.
Your way of life sounds good, enjoy!!
Roger
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Send a message via Skype™ to kidless
Gis, we are on the same wave length. I'll be doing it a little slower. I'll be moving into my 75 31' Sovereign, hopefully late this summer. I'll still need a shed, but I'll keep working on my little 19' 61 Globetrotter, so that eventually I'll have all my worldly possessions in.

And yes, I also don't have a tow vehicle.

Welcome, keep posted

Christina
kidless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi Gisela;
Congratulations for doing what you do; it's really very courageous to have started a new way of life like that;
Airstream, motorcycle are both my passion too; The third is an american way of life ... like you .

Best regards from France.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
hyannis , Massachusetts
Gisela, I like where your going,
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #11

Palm Desert , California
Thanks to everybody for your replies. Life's events kept me from logging on for what seems an eternity. I will look into all the resources you have mentioned. My G-Stream presents with a sooting hot water heater and an irrgelular burn; I consulted a thick RV repair manual, but I feel as if I read Chinese (which I probably understand better than the repair manual); I never liked manuals, to begin with, and rather try things out manually. So I will consult the resources and find out what I need to do. Hope everyone is well.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
welcome gisela. fine idea,buy a new streamer ,park it on property,and live in it.the cost idea or the lack of cost is what really interests me.seams like you have successfully killed at least two birds with one stone.minimal property tax for one,and the option to move on with ease if and when you decide to do so.your choice of a motorcycle is also attractively cost effective,no mandatory insurance and excellent fuel savings.best of luck,richie rich.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote