Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Little Rock , Arkansas
Airstream Fever

Hi! My husband and I have been lurking around these boards for several months now. We were bitten by the airstream bug about a year ago, but the the disease laid dormant for a while. Then, all of a sudden the airstream fever broke out, and it seems there is no cure for it, so we just have to live with it....

Last week we bought a 1973 31' Sovereign Twin, Rear Bath (International Land Yacht).

I saw her on the side of the road, in a lot with several used single and double wide trailers for sale. I passed by. 100 yards down the road, I U-turned and came back to see if I could look at the old girl! I took lots of pictures and called the number on the sign, and took the information home to my husband. We went back to look at her several times... She is arriving at our home tomorrow.

She's going to take a lot of work, but she will be all fixed up and and ready to roll better than ever when we are done.

Her name is Alice.

All of our pictures are in the link above. We look forward to learning lots of new information and skills from all of you that have gone before us!

Thanks!
Jen
BAMAjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Wow! That's a big one! Good luck and welcome to the forums
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
26567 Tasha & Larry

You've got some history there!

You'll be able to make that whatever you want. I bought new because I'm a chicken when it comes to refurb. Good luck with your new-to-you baby! Oh - and thanks for the pictures. This crowd is a bunch of picture vultures :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You'll be hitting the road in short order! For awhile it will be in search of parts, but soon enough it will be to relax and enjoy the journey.

Have fun!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
wow

Congrats!!! and welcome. OK, some stuff for you. I can tell she needs a good cleaning. The walls will clean up VERY nice with a product called Knights spray nine. Use a brush and many towels/rags and they will be white again. I have my original (used) light covers for the ceiling. If you are missing any (don't see in pics) I will donate them to you. They are not bad, slightly yellowed. Your level master on the front of the trailer is broken, again I have a used one that works, slightly cloudy, that's yours also if you want it. Pm me if you are interested. I'm glad Alice found you, you will love her! John
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
pic 84

On your photo page pic 84 is a tail light monitor, when in the tow vehicle the monitor lights up to show the brake and turn lights are working on the trailer. They are connected to the taillights by a fiber optic wire (cool right) if yours works (mine does) you will love it. Anyway Inland RV sells a aluminum cover for it, it mounts with the two screws you see. The original cover was some type of plastic, and is long gone. I'm very excited for you, can you tell? John
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad ti have you with us. Best wishes with your new baby. May you have many great Airstream adventures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thank you all for the warm welcome. We are so excited to start this adventure! She was delivered this afternoon. We'll be busy with a family wedding all weekend, but Monday we'll be able to start looking much closer at many things!

1973 Sovereign 31'
Old 02-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I am very excited for you. I agree, it looks like Alice has found a warm, welcoming home! We are picking up our new 27FB Eddie Bauer in the morning! We can hardly wait! Welcome and have fun!
Old 02-21-2014, 04:59 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The phenomenon known as "Airstream Fever" is really just sunburn from the light reflecting off of that shiny aluminum because you stood there staring at it for so long!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Little Rock , Arkansas
Ha ha!

1973 Sovereign 31'
Old 02-23-2014, 04:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Jen high praise to you and your husband and holly crap! You have taken some awesome pictures and have a wonderful perspective for life which is only exceeded by the motivation you show and need for this project. The good is most apparent like there is nothing you can do that will not be an improvement. Please keep us up with the project and remember breath when all else fails breath then get a bigger hammer and a new drill bit!
Cliff