Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2023, 06:16 PM   #1

Mackay , Idaho
Airstream 22FB Bambi or Caravel?

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum. My wife and I (and our two golden retrievers) want to purchase a new Airstream in the 22 foot size due to the bed size (as we are both tall).

My questions are:

1. What's the main difference between the Bambi and the Caravel (besides the 10K extra for the Caravel)

2. We are going to put the trailer at our property in Idaho while we build our cabin and my concern is mice. This remote area gets a ton of mice, in fact, I have sold all my equipment that has enclosed cabs because the mice are rampant and they get in EVERYTHING and EVERYWHERE. The trailer will sit year-round so I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge as to how well the Airstreams are sealed at the bottom?

Any other advice you would give would be great. Thank you.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trout Haven 6-2016.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	429155  
TROUTHAVENRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The Caravel is a snazzier (deluxe) version of the same trailer. The two brochures are available at the website https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...oorplans/22fb/
https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...oorplans/22fb/

The differences (in my opinion) is not worth it…. the website itself will allow you to compare features direct: https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...fb,bambi--22fb

Difference sink, metal rockguards, elect tongue-jack instead of manual…etc etc.

Do you Really Beleive you will use 3 burners on your stove because two are not enough? (I don’t recall in the last 8 years ever using two burners at the same time.) Do you think a single sink is better than a double? I don’t.

The 22’ FB Bambi is a great trailer. If you want to add weight and more maintenance tasks for another $15K (which is what it is…not $10K…and you’ll be pizzed first time you turn too tight and crush that metal rockguard with your tow vehicle bumper)…. to feed the snob…. go for the Caravel. Out in the real world of Airstream-camping… it’ll make no real difference, …except in the lbs you tow.
YMMV
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I don't think Airstreams are sealed against mice any better than the others. Best thing if you're concerned is to do a detailed inspection and blocking/repair of any tiny holes and possible routes of entry you find on the trailer you purchase.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:14 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Los Angeles , California
I looked at both while searching myself and the only two things that I felt that make Caravel superior are windows (Bambi has outsourced windows, while Caravel has Airstream "proper" windows) and Caravel has a rear bumper. I don't think you can upgrade the windows, but you can request a bumper as an option for extra money. Another option that I would consider if you plan to actually camp is the power jack (also, can add for extra). There are tons of videos on YouTube that compare the two.
Alex in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Airstream 22FB Bambi or Caravel?

I find this comparison better at identifying the differences in the Bambi vs. Caravel lines.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Monterey , California
We thought the caravel was worth the $10,000+ extra. Why? Windows! Ducted air! Rock guards. Bumper storage. Higher quality interior and finishes.

We almost bought a Bambi 19 and ended with a Caravel 20. So so happy!
Lucky Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 11:01 AM   #7

Mackay , Idaho
Thanks for the input, makes a ton of sense. Mark
Old 03-15-2023, 11:02 AM   #8

Mackay , Idaho
Hmmm, that worries me a bit. Has anyone else had issues with mice?
Old 03-15-2023, 11:10 AM   #9

Mackay , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
I find this comparison better at identifying the differences in the Bambi vs. Caravel lines.
You're 100% right, this is the BEST comparison I've seen. Thank you so much.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:54 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
This is a GREAT comparison. I definitely omitted a bunch of upgrades lol. I guess it comes down to are you a "base trim" or a "fully loaded" kind of buyer. Also, for a heavy user Caravel might be worth it, but a "weekend warrior" might "get by" with a Bambi.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
We compared and got the Caravel, happy we did. Also it didn't cost us 10 K more at the time.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROUTHAVENRV View Post
You're 100% right, this is the BEST comparison I've seen. Thank you so much.

You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in LA View Post
This is a GREAT comparison. I definitely omitted a bunch of upgrades lol. I guess it comes down to are you a "base trim" or a "fully loaded" kind of buyer. Also, for a heavy user Caravel might be worth it, but a "weekend warrior" might "get by" with a Bambi.

Yeah, we started looking at the Basecamp, Bambi, Caravel, and some used 19-foot Flying Clouds. We probably would have gone with the Bambi at that time had we been choosing between it and the Caravel. But we ended up deciding to upgrade our TV and went to a 23-foot Flying Cloud. Now that we have this trailer, I will say, I would miss the panorama windows and the ducted heat pump most of all.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:01 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Los Angeles , California
Yeah, I was looking at 22' models so basically Bambi and Caravel, but found a 2002 International AS in great shape for substantially less, so went with that. I like the idea of a double axle and the general rarity of these trailers (and did I say it was WAY less $
Old 03-16-2023, 07:38 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
2016 Bambi

To reference: Alex in LA,
As an owner of a 2016 Bambi 22FB, with 30,000 miles and a cross country trip of over 2 months N.J to Montana, & From Northern Maine to South Carolina. We don't consider ourselves "weekend warriors" and have never needed to just "GET BY". The Bambi is a substantial unit with very little issues over the 7 years of ownership. We tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, average 15 MPG, and wouldn't trade up for any other unit.
TROUTHAVENRV, I'm sure you will be pleased with either unit.
Safe travels

DLK
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
It’s a personal choice, and personally I would go with the Caravel for all of the reasons mentioned above. The only new thought I can contribute is that the additional cost will probably be recovered when you sell it.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
We have a 20FB, intentionally went w/ the Flying Cloud version, specifically for: the interior, the rock guards on the front, rear storage bumper, and we have the extra awning package too. Even if we're a small single-axle, we still are 'classy'.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:05 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkershaw View Post
To reference: Alex in LA,
As an owner of a 2016 Bambi 22FB, with 30,000 miles and a cross country trip of over 2 months N.J to Montana, & From Northern Maine to South Carolina. We don't consider ourselves "weekend warriors" and have never needed to just "GET BY". The Bambi is a substantial unit with very little issues over the 7 years of ownership. We tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, average 15 MPG, and wouldn't trade up for any other unit.
TROUTHAVENRV, I'm sure you will be pleased with either unit.
Safe travels

DLK
Bambi is an excellent unit that was my first choice before I bought mine. If you look at my original post, you'll see that I found very little to justify upgrading to a Caravel. Noone who makes a choice to own any Airstream is "getting by" since it's clearly a premium product compared to other trailers. Happy travels and hope to be able to do some trips like yours in the future.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:17 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Thanks Alex in LA

Alex, thanks for your response. We are lucky to be able to own our Airstream, as I'm sure you are also. Safe and Happy travels.
DLK
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
I vote for the Caravel

We bought a new 16' Bambi two years ago. For my money the $10k extra for the Caravel would have been well worth it. Foremost for us, the AC in the Bambi is very loud (hard to have a conversation) so with the ducted it won't be nearly as annoying. Overall, the Caravel climate control system is much better (first thing I did was to replace the crappy Dometic thermostat). The Bambi doesn't have an inverter which we had to add later for Starlink. The extra awnings are very nice. The step is far superior. I don't know if these add up to $10k but these are some of the reasons (besides size) we opted for moving up to a Globetrotter this year so we could camp for longer durations.

The Bambi is great and we wouldn't trade it for our friends' much larger cheaply-made poor people's camper, but some things get annoying after a while. Of course, with the 22' maybe size would mitigate some of them (like the wet bath and a Newfoundland blocking the bathroom door at night).

As for mice (which we have plenty of especially in the winter), the hole where the battery cable is threaded through is the only path I could find for mice, so it needs to be sealed. Also, when you insure it, we opted for a rodent clause for a little bit more.
JeffKim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
P.S. That lot looks gorgeous!
JeffKim is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel