Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Airdreaming in Santa Barbara

Hello Fellow Airstream Dreamers!

Today marks my 5th day as an Airstream owner. Just returned from a road trip to Denver with my husband and two little munchkins to pick up my airdream, a '67 Safari. I'm so happy to have joined the ranks of vintage airstream enthusiasts, but a little overwhelmed by the amount of work ahead of me. I'm jonesing to get going, but I'm not even sure where to start - inside? outside? The girl's bones, plumbing and electrical appear to be in good working order (so far) but she needs some TLC and updating. High on my priority list are replacing windows (many are cracked or plexiglass replacements), repairing non-working exterior lights, and, of course, polishing! The girls also needs window coverings (considering aluminum blinds, but need to research a little more...), new cushion covers, an awning and updated flooring. I'll be scouring airstreamforums for advice from the master airstreamers. Thanks in advance for all that you share!
Old 06-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Welcome to the forums.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

HI Meredith and welcome. We're now fellow west coasters (San Francisco). We went for the alum mini-blinds for our 79'. Love the look. Good luck with your restoration work. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Hi Joe -

regarding the mini blinds, can you tell me how they fit on the rounded sides of the trailer? Where did you get yours? Did you need any special hardware to install them? Do you tie yours down?

Thanks for the extra info,
Meredith
Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrmr
Thanks in advance for all that you share!
I'd be happy to share knowledge and advice as I've owned 2 '67' Safaris. I'm also only 40 miles south. PM me if you wish and welcome aboard!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Hi Murray -

So nice to meet you! I'm sure you are a wealth of information. I'm so new to the forum, I don't know what "PM" means!

Murray, did you ever have to replace the exterior Grotelite reflectors on your Safaris? Most the 10 red and amber ones on mine are cracked and don't work anymore. My husband wants to replace them with LED lights, but I'd like to find something as close to the original as possible.

Also, any suggestions or advice on window replacement?
Old 06-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Exact replacements for lights and many other things on your trailer (including windows) are available from VintageTrailerSupply.com.
PM means 'private message' and is how a lot of discussions take place person to person ' offline'. You'll find that option on the Forums by clicking on the individual's 'handle' i.e. Creampuff.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Hi Meredith (also my grandaughter's). I'm not where the info on my mini-blinds are located. I'll get the info to you in a week. I used the brackets to hold the ends to the wall when extended. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Francisco Bay Area , California
Hi Meredith!

I just joined here too, we just got a 1969 Safari and brought it home last weekend with our two little girls. We are up in San Mateo. Congratulations!

I have the same overwhelmed feeling - ours is in very good shape too but needs odds and ends (new tires, new curtains, some cracked veneer needs fixing, etc.) whoa! I think Im going to start with vacuuming the rug. I can handle that. haha.
jennak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
LED's are the BOMB!!!

Meredith -

Consider the LED's for the outside marker lights. I just replaced the marker units on my '92 with LED's and they are a ZILLION times brighter, they use 1/50th the eletricity (if you boondock this is important!) and they just look WAY cool!!!

Also they are sealed units so they don't leak and ruin the bulb.

Try the "search" button in the upper right corner and look under LED's. "Superbright" is who I ordered from. NO interest in the company - just a customer.

You have a zillion things that you are considering for your TT right now, just a thought about the LED thing. The main thing to remember, is that you really should be having F-U-N!!!! with your AirStream!!!

There is a great big camping world out there! Enjoy it all.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
LED's

Hi Axel -

Thanks so much for the info on LED's. My husband will be very happy for the tips as he wants them very much (not my department as he's an electrician) And, you are right, they do look cool. We noticed many on newer trailers and trucks when towing ours home from Denver last week.

I'm sure this overwhelmed feeling I have will dissipate after I've made a little progress on the trailer. In the meantime, I will remember your sound advice...enjoy and have fun!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:43 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
prioritizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennak
Hi Meredith!

I just joined here too, we just got a 1969 Safari and brought it home last weekend with our two little girls. We are up in San Mateo. Congratulations!

I have the same overwhelmed feeling - ours is in very good shape too but needs odds and ends (new tires, new curtains, some cracked veneer needs fixing, etc.) whoa! I think Im going to start with vacuuming the rug. I can handle that. haha.
Hi Jenna! Nice to meet a fellow girl-streamer! Before we left Denver with our "new" trailer, we got new tires, new brakes, the axle lubed, and added an equalizing hitch with anti-sway. My husband also had our '04 V8 Explorer upgraded with limited slip and a class III hitch (he thought it would be a good idea since our first hurdle on the ride home was the rocky mountains!) It pulled like a dream the whole way home. Since we've been home, I've been making a list of all the stuff that the trailer needs and then trying to prioritze each one. It's taking all my will-power not to run out and buy window coverings and upholstery fabric but instead to focus on the getting the exterior lights and the windows put into good working order first! Ack! I guess it will all come in good time. I'd love to see a picture of your 69. How do you like your sleeping arrangements?
Old 06-28-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Thats quite a first trip you took! Sounds like you were prepared for it though! We only had to go out to the East Bay to get ours so the new tires and brakes go on next week. We have weight distribution on the hitch and we are (barely!) pulling it with a 98 Jeep Cherokee for now. We will probably get a new tow vehicle in the fall.
We havent slept in it yet, but our girls are 2.5 and 7 months, so they will fit just fine on the dining area couches for now. We are rigging up 2 little guardrails so they dont fall out of bed.
Here are some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/glamara...7594168922458/
I'd love to see yours too!
Old 06-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Oh, you have little babies! How fun to be airstreaming with them at this age. So many of us feel glued to homebase with the little ones, we forget to live. Mine are 6 and 4, and ready for adventure. My mom and dad were big tent campers so I always thought that is what I would do with my kids, but then I married a man who doesn't like to be too uncomfortable. Our airstream was a perfect compromise.

Your airstream is beautiful. It looks so new and well cared for. Ours looks a bit more tired, but we're going to put some elbow grease into it and make that baby shine. The attached picture was taken about 10 minutes after we bought.

Keep me posted on your adventures with the little ones, and if you're ever in our neck of the woods, be sure to look me up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bringing home baby (Small).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	22932  
Old 06-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #15
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Meredith, welcome and congratulations from another '67 Safari owner. We've had ours for two years and love it. Be sure to post pictures of your progress and good luck!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:47 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Thanks for the photo, she's lovely! Drop us a note too if you ever come north!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hey airdrmer, you got yourself the right year! Keep us posted! The '67 windows are expensive but worth it to replace them, they curve to the shape of the trailer, any other option out there will give you a leak when it rains. You might want to take care of the windows before anything else, so that rain or anything like that won't ruin your interior updating.

Lots of advice here, and we looooove pictures!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
67 windows

Hi Ingrid -

I've been reading many posts by you. You are very knowledgable in airstreaming. Thanks for the tips on the windows. I want to be sure I get the right windows - are the best ones from VTS?

My trailer has a couple small plexiglass windows that appear to have small fractures around the edges. I also have one large side window that has been completely sealed so it no longer opens - the window clips, crank, etc. are all missing. I've been doing my homework on the forums, looking for advice on how to do the installation. It's going to be a big job for me, a little out of my league!

Also, any advice on how to find a rockguard? I've heard that it's not worth looking for an old one as the plastic is shot. I still have the rusty latches from the original but nothing above the window to affix a rockguard to. We are planning a trip later this month and I'm worried about traveling without one...

Thanks for your advice!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello airdrmr,

That safari sure looks like the one around the corner from me on rhoads ave
next to seans house .could that be!! I wanted to stop and talk to you guys
drove by today .We have the 60 tradewind and the blue and white travelall.
Congrats on your great find .I believe I may be of some local assistance
if you need it since I can walk over there in 5 minutes.So stop by ,or I will come over and say hello .I have been helping sean with his travelall alot.
It is coming along

See you

Scott and lily ,patrick and sarah
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
howdy neighbor!

Hi Scott! What a great way to meet a neighbor! You and your 60 tradewind are all the rage, I've heard. I can't wait to meet you and your trailer. It would be great if you could come over to see our trailer and share some airstream knowledge with us....

Regards,