Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #21
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
SANTA BARBARA , California
Hi Neighbors!

I am in Santa Barbara too (Mesa)! I am just starting on some projects on my trailer. Took it to Jalama for new year's, it's a great trip! Congrats on your safari, looks nice!
Welcome and let me know if I can help you,
Jenny
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hi there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrmr
Hi Ingrid -

I've been reading many posts by you. You are very knowledgable in airstreaming. Thanks for the tips on the windows. I want to be sure I get the right windows - are the best ones from VTS?

My trailer has a couple small plexiglass windows that appear to have small fractures around the edges. I also have one large side window that has been completely sealed so it no longer opens - the window clips, crank, etc. are all missing. I've been doing my homework on the forums, looking for advice on how to do the installation. It's going to be a big job for me, a little out of my league!

Also, any advice on how to find a rockguard? I've heard that it's not worth looking for an old one as the plastic is shot. I still have the rusty latches from the original but nothing above the window to affix a rockguard to. We are planning a trip later this month and I'm worried about traveling without one...

Thanks for your advice!
Knowledgeable wow I sure don't feel that way!! thanks though!!

Although it's an expensive proposition, it's highly recommended that you replace those plexiglass ones. If you look at the windows carefully you'll see that the bottom of the plexiglass windowpane sticks out a little because the glass is flat, while the trailer is curved, and the plexiglass will never "bend" to the shape of the trailer, and rain/water what have you manages to work it's way under there and can cause a lot of damage over time.

The windows at VTS are EXACTLY the ones you need, unless you're able to find some from someone else with a 66-67-68 trailer who is willing to part with their windows or you find some at a junkyard. (those are the only three years with the window situation). Finding those replacements are next to impossible, so I'd say go ahead and buy the VTS ones.

Don't despair on the window thing; yes it's costly, but your trailer is still a very much loved and a very cool year, and a good purchase. In fact we bought ours before replacement windows were available for purchase and I had no idea what I was going to do, there's a thread here of someone who was experimenting on bending glass or Lexan (plastic) in an oven to try to get the window problem solved. You got your beauty at just the right time; parts and windows etc. are becoming much more easily available than ever. VTS will replace your window if it breaks in shipping. I've purchased two windows from them, they fit perfectly and work great. New window crank mechanisms etc. can be purchased online too, from either www.inlandrv.com or www.vintagetrailersupply.com maybe.

I have no idea what to do about a rock guard! We still have to replace that front window on ours, but that's not so hard because that one is flat.

When the time comes to install the windows, let me know and also go to the website of member TomW. He has a nice page on window replacement.
Email or PM me anytime!!
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
hi me again

I was reading up on your thread (cuz I'm still in my pajamas here, delaying the start of the day) and I thought I'd mention something about the exterior lights. You said one wasn't working. Is it the porch light by the door? If so, mine had a cover that was kinda melted, and I found out it was the bulb that was burned out from either too strong of a bulb or too long of use. For one of those two reasons, the light cover gets melted and deformed. The cover is available cheap from VTS.

Might want to try replacing the bulb and see if it works if that's the light that is broken. If that's not the light that's broken, disregard!

I'm re-motivated to get our shell and floor done....so we can travel down your way or meet up for a camping trip or rally again! We have a lot of catching up to do, being separated at birth and all. I'm still recovering from the trauma of not having you around all these years. Let's call Oprah!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Hey Sis -

Thanks for the info on the porch light. That light is one light that was working great on our trailer when we bought it The lights that we were having issues with were the clearance lights. Jack has done an amazing job finding the source of the problem and fixing them (and finding a couple more rat carcasses in the process - uck!) Now we have all new running lights that work just great - and no more dead vermin entombed in the crevices of our trailer!

I can't wait until we can camp together. I will continue to wait patiently until your trailer is road worthy...it's been 40 years, what's a few more months!? We'll just have that much more to catch up on

Happy Halloween to you and your adorable niece and nephew. My kids are still talking about them, and the pokemon movie they watched at our picnic table.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #25
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
Hi Meredith,

Did you use a soldering iron to connect the wires for the new clearance lights? I am about to do the same thing to my trailer so I could use some tips. Did you use gaskets on the back of the lights? The ones I got didn't come with any. I just came back from Hobsons park for the weekend. Really fun.
Thanks,
Jenny
Old 10-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Hi Jenny -

Sorry you couldn't make it to the NorCal rally. Hopefully we will get to meet one of these days. Yes, Jack used a soldering iron. And, instead of gaskets, he used caulk. In his words, gaskets just "eventually turn to dust" anyway...

Let us know if you need any help. We're so close!

Where's Hobsons Park? I'm not familiar with it.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #27
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
Thanks Merideth,

Sounds good, I will try sealing them with caulk. Hobson's is just south of Rincon along Seacliff. It's so close yet so far if you know what I mean. We just had the SB Surfclub campout there and had a surf contest while wearing costumes, crazy!

So sad I missed the rally too, I am sure it was a blast!

Thanks for the info!

Jenny