Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
Exclamation Air Conditioning Question

Hello everyone. I'm new on the forum and need some advice. I have 28 foot 2002 Classic. I need to replace my air conditioner/heat pump unit. The dealer suggest that since I'm not a full time streaming, they would recommend that I replace my current unit with just an air conditioner and not worry about the heat pump. That would save me around $300. The air/heat units have more problems than just the air units. Any recommendations. Larry
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. We have a 2005 25FB with the AC/Heat Pump. We've spent over 220 nights in our Lucy and have used the heat pump on many occasions. When we replace our unit, it will be the one with the heat pump.

We have camped in enough cool weather that we would have spent at least $300 in LP gas during that period. When we're at a CG, the electric is included
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
You can get lots of opinions, including mine here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ump-40018.html.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1989 32.5' Airstream 325
Carmel , California
Air Conditioner Freezing and Leaking

Hi Everyone,

I have an Airstream 325 RV and the Coleman air conditioning units keep freezing and then leaking into my interior space. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
cyberstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You are getting evaporator freeze-up. This can be caused by a variety of situations like blocked vents or ducts, dirty filters, dirty evaporator and condenser coils, or cooled air returning prematurely thru the return air intake.

You also might be leaving a window, vent or door open, allowing moisture laden air into the interior and then into the return air grill, creating an excess moisture problem at the evaporator. Another possibility is that you are running on low voltage or low fan settings. Low fan settings in very high humidity do not force sufficient air over the evaporator and it can freeze.

It's a little difficult to tell which one is the problem, but do a little investigating and post back with your results.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Masontown , West Virginia
Heat Pump

Agree fully with Moosetags. Having had heat pumps on our last three rv's over 12+ years, we wouldn't leave home without one.
Bill
TAC # WV-2
MountaineerStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
kinda depends on where you use the trailer, wouldn't you say? The OP says they are not full timers, and live in FL. Travelling back and forth across the south in the summer time only.....how often do you need to heat the interior?

I would hazard a guess that the answer is Zero times. Unless you camp in a cave.

And if they felt like heading north during a trip, they do still have the furnace, correct?

There is a beauty in simplicity. If you can eliminate something that you don't need from your life....I would suggest giving that some serious consideration.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1989 32.5' Airstream 325
Carmel , California
Well, closing the windows does seem to help one of the units. The coleman in the back however is leaking water directly from the big center vent that blows the air....the evap water isn't even making it to the little pan that drips out the tube. Anyone have any idea why that is happening.

Signed...VERY HOT in New Orleans.
cyberstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberstream View Post
Well, closing the windows does seem to help one of the units. The coleman in the back however is leaking water directly from the big center vent that blows the air....the evap water isn't even making it to the little pan that drips out the tube. Anyone have any idea why that is happening.

Signed...VERY HOT in New Orleans.
Have you investigated all of the points on my list in my post above??
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote