Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Question About to purchase a 1966 safari 22ft.

Hi, I am a newbie to this forum and hopefully new to a 1966 22ft safari this weekend! It is in pretty good shape. It has a new black water tank that the seller said the shower and toilt drain into. And a new grey water tank they put under the closet for the sink. New cork flooring throughout. It needs a new water heater and the canopy is in so so shape he thinks. (hasnt pulled it out yet) The skin is good, with only a few minor dents. I don't know about the axle yet. I have yet to look at this trailer in person. That will happen this weekend. I understand that the total weight of the trailer is 3360 lbs. (through research online) It also has a new weight distribution hitch.(don't know how more that adds.) I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook AWD V6 vehicle with a tow capacity of 4500lbs. Do you think my vehicle will be sufficient to tow? Also, if the axle is original, it will have to be replaced. How much do you think that would be? How do I know if it is original or not? I don't know how much paperwork they have to back things up. I will find out more this weekend. The owner is asking 10,000. I think it is a little high, from researching online other trailers in better shape and others in worse shape. But he is not completely out of the ballpark. I think I can negotiate a bit lower. He has other offers on the table, but not sastisfied with them. And we seemed to "connect" on the phone. He is in oregon, and the trailer is in CO at his sisters house. They are selling due to the father being in a nursing home recently. The father bought it in Oregon a few years back for somewhere between 12-14,000. He drove it out here and here it has been for 2 years. He lived in it for a while out here. They need to liquidate his assets to pay for his care. I have been looking for a while, but havent found "the one". I have a feeling this is "the one".

Thanks,
Tracey
Hopetoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Sounds like some fun is on the way, $10k doesn't seem like any deal so I would expect it to be in really good shape. Axles range from $7-$1500 depending on who does the work.

Not sure on your Saturn, it seems like you may be maxing that out. I wonder how it would handle in any wind or passing semis?

Keep in mind that it is 45 years old and very possibly could have some bad spots in the floor unless it has been replaced.

It is always fun looking and there are more out there if this one doesn't feel right after seeing it.
Good luck
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
north stonington , Connecticut
Hi Tracey, welcome to the Forums. In my humble, cheapskate opinion that price seems pretty high unless the unit is a hidden gem which it doesn't sound like given the water heater/awning/axle situation you describe. A perusal of the forums will give you some idea of the myriad areas which could require attention, attention that invariably costs more and takes longer than you expect it to. It would be highly desirable in your situation to have someone familiar with Airstreams and their idiosyncrasies along to take a look at the camper. There may be forum people in your area who might take a look at it with you. This is a link to an article on vintageairstreams.com about buying a vintage unit: Frequently Asked Questions
I hope this doesn't discourage you and I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit. mike
dibAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Thank you Doug! I understand the floor has been replaced. But I am concerned about maxing out on the weight issue. I thought that the asking price was high also. Thanks a bunch for your reply!! I really appreciate it!!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Thanks dibAL I have been trying to read and research as much as I can! I appreciate all the info you suggested!! I am waiting on reply from the owner on several more questions before I make the 2 hr drive down there! If it is not this one, I am sure I will come across another some day. I have been keeping my eye out for about a year on several different kinds of trailers, including the airstream. This one just kind of happened in my lap so to speak, so I thought I'd better check it out! You have some great ideas, thank you!

Tags
1966, 1966 safari