Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Woodbury , New Jersey
A total newbie - Airstream Purchase

I recently decided to purchase an Airstream travel trailer and I am just beginning to do some research and I figured this site would be a good place to start out. As this will be my first travel trailer and my $$ are limited...I have decided to purchase a used one. I started out just checking out E-Bay to get an idea of their listings as well as some price ranges. My first question: what is an Airstream vs an Airstream Excella? It seems to me that every Airstream Excella I come across...regardless of what site I am on....is significantly less money than non-Excella models of similar size, age and/or condition. So...my first questions is: why are Airstream Excellas significantly less money than "regular" or "standard" Airstream travel trailers?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
airstreamer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I don't know, but I'll take a stab at this and say it is because they are so big.
The market would reflect what is in demand and people want smaller camper trailers.
Also older trailers mean more work and bigger means more work.

I have a 31' Excella and it is a beast!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Welcome to the forums. I bought my Tradewind from a gentleman in Wenonah. I looked for an AS about 6 months befroe finding "the one". Your purchase will be a great reward, I also viewd many threads here on what to look for when you are looking at an Airstream. Yes, it seems the longer trailers are less expensive than shorter ones (demand I guess) but keep looking, I got a good deal ( I think!) and more are out there. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your questions, the Excella model name was one used by Airstream a number of years ago. I can not think of any reason why Excellas should be any less expensive than other models. Older Airstreams' values are usually directly related to the condition of the unit in question.

Generally speaking, amongst late model Airstreams, the larger the unit, the greater the price. Vintage Airstreams are just the opposite, the smaller the unit, the greater to price.

Tell us more about your wishes and situation. We might be able to make better suggestions. Don't overlook the fact that when you get into the larger late model Airstreams, a substantial tow vehicle will be needed.

Be sure to check out the Classifieds section here on Airforums.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote