Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Ford GVWRs

Starting in 2005 Ford changed how they rated the Super Duty trucks. In order to give all engine options roughly the same payload Ford adjusts the GVWR according to the engine choice. For a F250 Supercab 2WD longbed it's 9200 lbs for the 5.4, 9400 for the V10, and 9800 for the diesel. Given your need to haul the boat and trailer in the bed of the truck 2air's opinion concerning the camper package is valid. Ford says that this truck weighs about 6,000 lbs, expect about 6200 lbs with the normal options.

Have you considered a crewcab instead of the Supercab? I ask because I've owned both. Ford sells more crewcabs than Supercabs for a reason. The crewcab is MUCH quieter and the cab feels much more solid. The front seats in the crewcab are superior to the Supercab's seats as well. The only drawback is the extra 16 inches of length.

And DO NOT forget Ford's optional brake controller. IT'S GREAT!
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #22
2006 F350 V10 Ext. Cab LB

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Hi All,
Steve, I too have found it's gonna' be a specified order (Other folks don't seem to like the configuration). And, I do take your thoughts about a diesel seriously. But I just don't mind too much if I'm slow heading up the pass and I truly hate the sound of a diesel (I especially hate it when someone next to my tent fires one up and lets it warm a bit at 4:30 AM).

2air, you're right, I missed the weight distribution gear. I didn't understand that it has to be considered part of the payload. I did notice that it's a Reese and on showing some pics to a Camping World service desk chap he didn't recognize it even though they are a Reese dealer. I have no clue about the weight beyond your note of 100-250#. And, I guess I have to allow a couple hundred lbs. for the receiver and camper pkg. (Anybody know where I might find those weights?).

While you can get the 10,000 GVWR on the F250, I can't find where it increases the payload (The highest payload I can find is 3300# for the F250).

Maybe I should just go with the F350 SRW, with the same options. The MSRP difference is $1,465 and the book payload would go from 3200 to 4300# (No effect on the GCVW or Max. Trailer Weight). That would bump the gear carrying capacity by 1100#.

Yes, I'm thinking about the air resistance of the boat sticking up there (Even with the long bed). The only dealer I know of for this system is Heimgartner Trailer Systems at www.trailersystems.com . Please take a look at their web site to see if you feel more comfortable about the rig. Do you think there's any chance the boat might run interference for the Airstream regarding air resistance?

I've attached the specs I've had in mind in an Edmunds pricing report.
Steve, I was just about to post when I noticed your latest. You've also noted that the payload doesn't change much in the F250 variants. I thought about the Crew Cabs, but that extra 16" just puts it over the top for me.

Thanks Everyone,
Walt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FordRigSpecs_2007XLT.pdf (332.0 KB, 71 views)
Driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:43 PM   #23
_

. , .
ok driver1

looked at the boat site...
it is an interesting system and looks well thought out for the application...

if you were in texas...the boat would be behind the trailer....

lots of 5er's do this.

a hitch on the tail of an airstream is a classic no-no but i did meet a texan who was happliy pulling a boat behind and new 25ft safari...looked like a 3 car train!

a lighter boat carried upside down would be more aero..but i'm sure you've thought these things through getting to your set up...have they given you any insight in to how fast folks drive with these boats loaded...perhaps 60 is would be fine...

yes the 350 srw will get the desired extra payload. we had this discussion in another thread...
the 350 has a slightly larger axle/bearing size, different wheel/tire combos, a different rubber bump stop on the rear and the helper leaf spring...but those are the only differences i recall so the 250/350 srw are otherwise the same trucks...i test drove both and ride wasn't any harsher on the 350s.

i would order the 350 and get the higher payload...no diesel? ok are you sure 'no' on the v10 too? you will be slow uphill and the 4.1 gearing means higher revs at highway speeds...so the small gasser will work hard. the 350 route really solves the payload issue and limited cc of the airstream.

i'll assume you've driven them in each flavor...the diesel is so strong. highway towing is 1800-2100 rpms and like but-ta! ok back to a gasser...

have you driven the 2x4s...these are rare to find with any engine...but look great sitting lower and with the long bed. don't forget limited slip rear ends...perhaps that is obvious.

like steve said the built-in brake controller is a fine thing...i still don't understand why the other guys aren't offering this yet...it was a deal maker for me.

i too ordered a truck...got it spec'd exactly as i wanted. only took 4-5 weeks but i've read the 250 factory is going to have 2 scheduled shutdowns...several weeks this fall and again in feb...

so you better get with that 350 order!

on the hitch issue..the trailer in question already has a hitch...
the loads suggest you'll want 1000lb w/d bars and does it have sway control....i'm a hensley user but the dual cam has happy users too.
while the hitch is mounted on the trailer, once hooked up and properly adjusted the hitch mass is really tv payload...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver1
Hi All,
Steve, I too have found it's gonna' be a specified order (Other folks don't seem to like the configuration). And, I do take your thoughts about a diesel seriously. But I just don't mind too much if I'm slow heading up the pass and I truly hate the sound of a diesel (I especially hate it when someone next to my tent fires one up and lets it warm a bit at 4:30 AM).
Walt,

OK, so you don't like diesels. I can respect your choice even though I think it's a mistake. Give some serious thought to the V10, it's only a $600 option (MSRP) and will get about the same gas mileage as the V8. DO NOT let some salesperson talk you into buying the wrong truck just because they have it on their lot.

Do yourself a favor and drive a 5.4 V8 powered truck (even if it has 3.73 gears) before you order a truck with this engine. Then drive both the V10 (assuming you can find one, I couldn't last night) and the diesel.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #25

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Hi,

We took delivery of our Airstream today - not much time to check in here.

I'll try tomorrow to organize what I think I'll do as a result of this discussion and post it then.

Interestingly, the dealer's truck used to deliver the Airstream was a Ford F350 with the V10 and the tow command. His driver didn't even bother with the weight distribution bars and there were only a couple times I could notice minor front to back rocking.

Has anyone ever considered making available a standardized, and generalized spreadsheet model, similar to what I set up for my own use, that the forum members could download from this web site and enter their own specific data (It seems to me it would help folks avoid some uncertainty and ambiguity I see in the towing threads)? We might be able to include some lookup tables including the basic GVWR, GAWR, & Dry Weight data for every year's airstreams (All models) ever produced, and maybe even the options' weights, to help users include their relavant data. I do write custom Excel/VBA based applications for my clients and I'd be quite willing to collaborate on such a project gratis as time permits. I'd certainly need the involvement of you experts and we might get some help with electronic data listings from Airstream, GM, Ford, & Dodge. There would be some liability issues we'd have to nail down too.

It's late.

G'nite All,
Walt
Old 09-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #26

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
I'll adapt to the small gear capacity in the '98 Excella

Hi to All,

After a lot of thought and great input from you folks. It comes down to the fact that the trailer is just great. I'll adjust to the small load capacity by mostly shifting weight to the tow vehicle and using some of the suggestions like a less than full water tank when possible. To be able to shift that weight to the tow vehicle and to carry the boat and its trailer in the pickup bed, I'll have to go with the 1 ton and I'll take Steve's recommendation to avoid the smaller gas engine.

I’ve modified the rig capacity computations to pickup on the optional equipment effect on the payload of the tow vehicle, as 2air mentioned, and I’ve done some weighing of some items (Some numbers are corrected – those batteries are really heavy). There are still some weight guesses in there, but I think I’m in the right ball park.

The value of being able to trailer my boat to and from the launch each day has me pretty sure I’ll go with the Heimgartner setup. I’ve noticed how things tend to get banged up from loading a boat upside down on a truck. Maybe I’ll drive over to Spokane and try a test drive with one of these.

Meanwhile I’ll attach my updated rig capacities sheet and tow vehicle spec sheet.

I truly appreciate all the help offered in thinking this through.

By for now,
Walt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RigCapacities.pdf (62.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: pdf XLT_F350V10.pdf (351.8 KB, 62 views)