Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #1

1978 29' Ambassador
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Los Angeles , California
Rivet 78 Ambassador & 53 mystery

Hello one and all. I am absolutely new to this. My wife and I bought a mobile home and RV park in Southern Oregon just last month and got the trailer bug. Bought a 1978 Ambassador on eBay and just drove it from Kingman to Hemet (250+ miles). It was my first towing experiece (other than that horrible time with the generator behind the grip truck that we don't talk about) and it was wonderful. The trailer is in excellent shape and has a new wood floor. It will travel up to the trailer park in a few weeks.

Cruising eBay I was smitten with a 1953 21 footer in the backwoods of North Dakota. Luckily, my stepson lives less than 200 miles away and has a big truck. The deal just closed and he has not picked up the trailer yet, so no eyewitness info. It will spend the winter and spring in Dickinson before being towed out to Cave Junction. This trailer is thrashed but not trashed. From the photos the wood looks to be OK and the heater, sink and stove work. I am dying to lay eyeballs on this trailer, but it is still in Norht Dakota.

This is an adventurous thing for Linda and me. Our plan is to clean these beauties up (perhaps even buff them out!) and set them up as nightly rentals in our RV park. Stay in a vintage trailer! Shady Dell in Bisbee, AZ did it; we can dream, too!

So I came across this forum and it seemed the perfect thing. I am green as far as Airstreams go, but wish to learn. This appears to be a knowledge sharing forum and I plan to take full advantage of it.

We plan to open our quiet lil' RV park in Southern Oregon this summer amidst the towering trees and balmy breezes and would love to have any and all Airstreamers in the spaces. If the managers of this bulletin board don't mind, I'll keep you all posted on the progress of the RV park as well as the trailers.

Looking forward to many good exchanges.

Joshua Mertz
jsmertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Welcome to the forum!
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Welcome to the forums Joshua. Lot of great resources located here. Can't help but ask about your new ambassador. Does yours have maroon colored gauchos? Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmertz
Hello one and all. I am absolutely new to this. My wife and I bought a mobile home and RV park in Southern Oregon just last month and got the trailer bug. Bought a 1978 Ambassador on eBay and just drove it from Kingman to Hemet (250+ miles). It was my first towing experiece (other than that horrible time with the generator behind the grip truck that we don't talk about) and it was wonderful. The trailer is in excellent shape and has a new wood floor. It will travel up to the trailer park in a few weeks.

Cruising eBay I was smitten with a 1953 21 footer in the backwoods of North Dakota. Luckily, my stepson lives less than 200 miles away and has a big truck. The deal just closed and he has not picked up the trailer yet, so no eyewitness info. It will spend the winter and spring in Dickinson before being towed out to Cave Junction. This trailer is thrashed but not trashed. From the photos the wood looks to be OK and the heater, sink and stove work. I am dying to lay eyeballs on this trailer, but it is still in Norht Dakota.

This is an adventurous thing for Linda and me. Our plan is to clean these beauties up (perhaps even buff them out!) and set them up as nightly rentals in our RV park. Stay in a vintage trailer! Shady Dell in Bisbee, AZ did it; we can dream, too!

So I came across this forum and it seemed the perfect thing. I am green as far as Airstreams go, but wish to learn. This appears to be a knowledge sharing forum and I plan to take full advantage of it.

We plan to open our quiet lil' RV park in Southern Oregon this summer amidst the towering trees and balmy breezes and would love to have any and all Airstreamers in the spaces. If the managers of this bulletin board don't mind, I'll keep you all posted on the progress of the RV park as well as the trailers.

Looking forward to many good exchanges.

Joshua Mertz
Johsua,

Where in Southern Oregon is your park? We are going to the International and may need a place to stop on our way home.

bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Joshua,

Ditto. I will be on the West Coast during the summer and would love to stop by and say hi! Let me know where you're park is........and welcome to the Forum!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmertz
This is an adventurous thing for Linda and me. Our plan is to clean these beauties up (perhaps even buff them out!) and set them up as nightly rentals in our RV park. Stay in a vintage trailer! Joshua Mertz
This is an intriguing idea. After they are set up on the site, no more worries about proper tow vehicles, axles, tires,etc.
I bet there are lots of AS devotees like myself who would rather stay in an AS than a motel room. I'd like to see a string of these "Airstream motels" pop up across the country.
It would be great to plan an Airstream vacation that doesn't require having one in tow.
People who are thinking of buying an AS but dubious about the expense, maintenance, towing and storage might be tempted to rent one of Josua and Linda's trailers for a while to "try it on for size" before they take the plunge into ownership.
Those who cannot participate in AS ownership due to financial or physical limitations could still enjoy the Airstream camping experience.
It's a very interesting concept. Please keep us posted on your progress.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote