Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Seneca , South Carolina
72 TW twin, all advise welcome

Finally living the dream of redoing Airstream, and have been reading lots!!!! of post, thanks for all of the great info, would like to know of suppliers for replacing interior skin material and options that others may have had experience with, have other questions but will post them later.
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. I'm glad to see you have been reading these Forums for some time, learning all about your Trade Wind. You gotta post some pictures soon.

I had a 66 Trade Wind for several years and did extensive work to it. As you know the mid sixties trailers had some unique features that are somewhat delicate and difficult to replace. So I sold it and purchased a 75 Overlander 27', one size longer than your Trade Wind. I'm in the process of renovating that trailer now. Seventies trailers were built "lightweight" to match the wimpy vehicles we had back then. I've been impressed with how my Overlander was built and how well it has survived its 44 years.

You might like to start a "project thread" for your project Trade Wind. Most of these threads are in the Airstream Knowledgebase, then Airstream Trailers, then find Trade Wind and your year range. This area works well for many different questions about all aspects of the trailer. All new replies are shown in the "new posts" section, so there is a lot of exposure. There are many folks who would enjoy following along with you as you renovate your trailer, and they usually can answer your questions. Below is a link to my project thread. You might enjoy taking a look to see what a mess my trailer was in the rear. But that has been repaired and I'm in the final stages of my project. I plan on some travel adventures in the thing this summer.

Maybe your trailer was purchased "gutted". The original interior skins are hard to beat with their very durable vinyl coatings. I'm not sure what most folks use to replace interior skins. I know it would be a big job with all the odd shapes, windows, vents, electrical and the like. I'd look into using belly pan aluminum 5052 at .025 thick. Others may chime in and have better ideas.

Here is a photo of my Overlander the day I brought it home. It was in decent shape.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	281
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	335256  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to AirForums.

Your best source for replacing interior skins is www.airpartsinc.com. You just call and place your order and the aluminum will show up on your front porch in a few days.

I have a 66 Tradewind. I have owned it for 8 years now and have done lots of work to it but I am still making improvements. It is in the Airstream Trailer Section. The renovation thread is called Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements.

Please post photos of your Tradewind when you can.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote