Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Altaville , California
68 Tradewind owner finally getting ready to camp

Hi,

I have been using this wonderful forum for a number of years without joining, but now that I have mostly gutted my trailer I need some assistance!

We bought our Airstream in 1995 to use as a home away from home so that my daughter could attend a school about 40 miles from home. The only towing I have done is there and then back at the end of the school year. We used city water (and “city hot water”) so never used the water heater. It was plugged into 120 AC, and never had a battery.

At home it was used as a bedroom for various kids. About 3 years ago we loaned it to someone who’s home had burned in a wildfire. Before I loaned it out I went through the electrical and water systems. The water pipes had frozen, so I replaced some copper pipes where I could and used garden hose/clamps in one spot.

Now my daughter wants to start towing it and camping in it, so I have spent the last couple of months digging deeper into issues in need of repair.

Here is what is confounding me now:

Brakes: I pulled off the hubs to inspect the brakes and repack the bearings. Three of four brakes had broken springs (the smaller ones). Is that a symptom of a bigger problem, or can I just replace them?

Furnace: It has a Suburban R-22 that I would like to remove. After reading on the forum, I tried to pull the inner box leaving the outer shell. Something at the rear of the unit will not budge. I’m thinking it is a pipe connect to the outlet pipe on the outside, and maybe it rusted tight?

Water system: It will need to be replaced with PEX, the PAR water pump leaks, and the water tank has a 2” hairline weeping crack on one of the bottom corners.

Thanks for reading my first post, and I appreciate any and all advice and suggestions!

Gordon
Bari Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Welcome!

If you get half the enjoyment out of your 68 TradeWind that I have gotten out of mine, you are in for treat!

Brakes- you almost certainly need new axles anyway, order new ones with brakes.

Not what you asked, but after that you need to make sure the frame and decking are good. THEN you can reasonably start on the other systems.

In the meantime PICTURES! GIVE US PICTURES!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and welcome to these Forums from Colorado: I had a 66 Trade Wind and really enjoyed renovating the thing. The 68 model year was a better trailer in my view.

Brake springs rust and fatigue. Brake "back plate" assemblies replaces shoes, springs, adjusters and the like. You are probably due to for new axles, so why not buy the whole axle assembly and have your problems behind you.

Maybe the combustion air inlet and exhaust pipes are screwed to the outside of the trailer. That is the way modern RV furnaces are built. Yours may be an older design. Better check for rusty burners and pipes to insure no CO contaminates the interior of the trailer. A CO detector would be a good investment, same with a new furnace.

Replacing the old, broken copper plumbing is a big job. PEX is the way to go. There are many considerations when doing this. The water heater comes to mind. I replumbed my 66 and it was a great learning experience. It is easier to do with the cabinets out.

The fresh water tank is likely polyethylene plastic which can be repaired; either with a modern adhesive design for polyethylene or by welding.

You no doubt read about your 68 Trade Wind here on these Forums in the Knowledge Base. You can figure out what to do to make it travel ready.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Altaville , California
Thanks for all the advice already, Rodney and David. I’m sure new axles are in the future for this trailer; even maybe a frame off restoration at some point, but now I’m trying to get it serviceable for my daughter to take it on a trip at the end of the month.

The broken springs on the brakes are above the brake adjustment screw. The one intact spring looked like someone had used a spring from a screen door! The local auto shop is getting me springs and inner bearing seals.

Right now I have the stove, refrigerator, cabinets, front bed, and water tank cover all out of the trailer to do the plumbing, replace the kitchen countertop, and repair some floor rot damage. My wife is picking me up a plastic welder from Harbor Freight.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Altaville , California
Maiden Voyage Success!

My daughter took our TW to "Renegade Burning Man" last week. I got the freshwater system working with a new pump and pex to the kitchen faucet and toilet. All the woodwork was stripped, stained, and varnished. Installed a new countertop after removing the oven and furnace. Put in a new reading light and USB charger.

My plan is to finish the re-plumbing, remove and replace the old water heater, but hold off on other projects so that we can use it for camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Renegade Burn ‘21.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	403753   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Countertop.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	403754  

Name:	New light:USB charger.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	403755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Storage.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	403756  

Old 09-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Good plan and looks good.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Altaville , California
Black water question

The whole time my daughter was camping there were no smells or leaks. She drove it back to her house to unpack and clean up and noticed a leaky water container she had stored in the tub, and an odor in the bathroom, but saw no leaking. When she brought it to my house we dumped the black water tank with no problem and rinsed the gray plumbing and black tank, and there is no odor.

Could the odor have occurred because of all the sloshing around during towing?
Old 09-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Burning Man? What an event to attend so I'm told. Nice to hear the old Trade Wind made it through it.

Yes, it is possible that sloshing water could cause a fowl odor in the trailer. I've overfilled my grey tank and had grey water in the shower pan. The black tank in a 68 Trade Wind isn't very big. And maybe check the vent pipe to insure there isn't a blockage there.

Now on to more improvements to your vintage Trade Wind. Here is my 66 TW photos as you might be interested.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1708 Sale Curb Shade-800x600.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	403771   Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Gaucho 1-800x600.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	403772  

Name:	1708 Sale Twins 1-800x600.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	403773   Click image for larger version

Name:	1507 Bath Layout (Small).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	403774  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
That's a great trailer and worthy of your restoration efforts. Check out Atomic_13's build. He had a trailer that might not have been as well kept as yours is, but please post pics. Jerry
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote