Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 AM   #1

1968 24' Tradewind
Wimberley , Texas
'68 Tradewind Landyacht Newbie Streamer

Well hello and what an excellant site. Looking forward to perusing and learning(the easy way.....from someone elses experience

I believe I got an excellant deal on my '68 Tradewind for $500. I guess you old timers know its a fixer upper but I figured for the price I can't go wrong. Their are wants and needs of course and as I go through it I am wondering what kind of project I have added to my list of projects.

She is solid and mostly seems like the things that need fixing I can do.....we shall see....I hope to get pics up sooner than later. She needs some windows(kitchen sink and the one next to it as well as the ones to the right of the door. Need the awning and have two long awning poles but I believe there are some additional parts perhaps for the awning??

It needs polishing of course and the clear coat is starting to come off in places overall the skin is in excellent condition.

Refridge is gone. As is the the heater? under sink. The hot water heater cover is gone and looks questionable. Haven't tried the electrical yet.

Has a weird connector for attaching to a car. I presume an RV place has an adapter.

She's not going to be a restore to original but she will be a classic and cool none the less. My wife is jealous and yes she is right I do love her but If I run off with her I will come back if not locked out

Anyways looking forward to Streaming take care-Dave
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Sounds like a fun project. Just got one in the same state as yours, but you paid less for yours. I'm new here too, the folks are nice here and very helpful!
Northerngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
Rivet airstream manual

congratulations!

the first thing i would do is buy a airstream service manual for your model year. it has everything in there you need to know on how to fix, repair or replace componets. typically 300+ pages of illustrations and descriptions. it will run you about$60 which is reseanable compared to some auto manuals.

have fun

crowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
There is no service manual for units prior to 1972. You just get us! Use the search function and ask away. Here's what I would do:

.5)Get the brakes check and bearings packed at an RV joint. Check the axles. They're probably running on empty, need to be replaced. For what you paid, just consider that you'll be paying less than what the market is generally bearing for this unit.
1)Check all the windows for glass and all of the hardware.
2)Make sure the vent covers are solid and waterproof.
3)Check the plumbing vent covers. If they are damaged, remove and replace with ones you can get at Vintagetrailersupply.com.
4)Pressurize the water system and look for leaks. The water pump may not work. Replace. Then you may find the Univolt doesn't work. Replace.
5)Have an RV joint check all of the gas appliances and the system for leaks.
6)You can look for softspots in the floor, but hey, only if you really want to know! We sometimes have softspots that we just live with. (Admit it, y'all!)

Good catch! That's the coach I'd like to find some day for a deal, too.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #5

1968 24' Tradewind
Wimberley , Texas
Thanks!

Wow didnt expect to get replys so quick
I just looked for the 68 service manual and yup they start at 72....I wondered if a 72 is close enough and if things changed that drastically or that rapidly. Will definitely check the axles, etc excellant advice Thanks! I havent found soft spots yet and would probably live with them if I couldnt fix. Hey its a camper and camping isnt the same as staying at a 5 star hotel. Its already a step up from some of the camping I have done. I thought about taking it down to Big Bend over Memorial day week but afraid my Airstream dreams are aways from reality. Never enough time or money. Anyways I will start chipping away at it this weekend and get it to an RV place to inspect things for me. Hopefully I will be camping sooner than I think
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Things did change (a lot) from 1968 to 1972. The trailers were 6" narrower in 1968 (they started being wider in 1969), and all the coach lengths grew 1 foot starting in 1969 as well. By 1972 a lot of the interior stuff was completely different (plastic and veneer instead of real wood), and the interior and exterior lights were different as well. Trailer ball size increased from 2" in 1968 to 2 5/16" in 1969, and you will hear a lot about things like "tambour" starting in 1972, that you don't have to worry about with your 1968.
1968 was the last year of the infamous Corning Unobtainium windows.
All that said, many things stayed the same, such as the brakes, electrical, and water systems. 12 volts DC is still 12 volts DC. Propane systems are basically the same, but I don't know if there is enough stuff in a 1972 manual you can use to consider purchasing one.
Good luck with your new purchase, and remember, getting htere is half the fun!