Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
AF Mustang

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bellevue , Nebraska
Smile 40-Year Air Force Veteran New to AIRForums

Hello all. I recently retired from the Air Force after serving more than 40 years (24 active duty/16 civil service). I've researched RVs for about 2.5 years and I've narrowed it down to two completely different manufacturers: Outdoors RV Titanium & Anniversary Edition Travel Trailers (TT)and Airstream. Question: I plan to full-time RV in the Winter and I was curious whether anyone in this forum has lived full-time in their RVs at mountain ski resorts with their Airstream RV. I look forward to your comments - thank you!
RVMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
RVMustang, first - thank you for your years of service to the country! Welcome to the Airstream Community and Forums.

I’m sure you are aware Airstreams are not Four-Season rated trailers. I’m not familiar with the other brand you mentioned but there are several that do advertise to be winter capable.

If you have access to shore power and unlimited propane, you could keep an Airstream comfortable but only down to 20-25F if you plan to use water. Airstreams do heat the tank areas which will give you some additional protection below freezing.

If you winterize and dry camp, you could definitely go lower as long as you can supplement the furnace with an additional heat source. Some use propane catalytic or electric heaters but be mindful of the risks associated.

I’m sure others will offer some real world experience. Good luck in your search!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Congratulations on your retirement.

There are people who have used Airstreams during ski season with some site modifications, extra equipment, copious attention to details, and realistic expectations of what to expect.

But on the whole, Airstreams are designed/engineered to be one of the best possible 3 season trailers. They are lightweight to tow, have great windows for lots of ventilation, and are equipped to work well between 90 degree high and about 25 degree low* (*overnight lows with higher daytime temps. Water systems kept from freezing by using the furnace, and a heat-taped water hose)

There are other types of RV equipment that have been engineered to be 4-season equipment. If you go to the Minnesota State Fair you can see Ice Fishing trailers that are truly rated for winter use. They have more insulation, hardly any window area, and are cozy. And heavy and dark and claustrophobic as compared to an Airstream.

Some ski areas are colder than others. I think "it depends" may be the answer to your question.

FWIW, I personally would not want to deal with the hassle of winter Airstream camping. But maybe you would. Skirting and insulation around the tires, adding a heat lamp to the underbelly section to keep things from freezing. Paying special attention to dumping and waste freezing (waste valves too). Power outages would be a worry as well.

I have heard good things about this brand of winter rated RVs--Arctic Fox.

https://northwoodmfg.com

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here's a really good talk about 4 season trailers and insulating them. He's not selling Airstreams but this will give you some good background and things to think about. Scroll down to the video titled "What does a Four Seasons RV Really Mean?".

https://kempoo.com/rv/arctic-package/

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
RVMustang, congrats on your retirement and thank you for your service.
We have not used our AS in the snow or below freezing temperatures, so I can't speak to that question. However, before we bought our AS, our decision was between Airstream and Outdoors RV Titanium Series. Compared to other brands of bumper pull travel trailers we looked at, the top line OutdoorsRV was by far the best. For our type of travel, the AS seemed a better fit, and we love it. If I were going to live in it at a ski area for extended periods, I believe I would opt for the Outdoors RV. Built for 4 season use, higher ground clearance, roomier, larger tanks, just to name a few.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Welcome, and thank you for your service!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Hello from "Cloudsplitter"

Welcome Aboard....Report Here ASAP

Mustang....Enlisted to officer or the Airplane?

Bob
🇺🇸

Semper-fi
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
AF Mustang

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bellevue , Nebraska
Thumbs up 40-Year Air Force Veteran New to AIRForums

Hi Bob - Prior enlisted service to Air Force Senior Intelligence Officer (SIO) 0-5 equivalent.
RVMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Heh,

If you get an Airstream with bare aluminum interior walls, and you go winter camping in it, I DARE you to lick the walls!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote