Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I just love your description of the "dork factor".

SuEllyn shops the classifieds daily for late model Land Yachts. I think that she really just wants to be able to sleep-in while I get on the road early.

I think that the "dork factor" plays a role in my resistance to such a plan. I think that I would miss my Lucy pulled by a 3/4 ton Quadrasteer Suburban, definitely a non-dork rig.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyRoad View Post
Try opening your front and rear fantastic fans about 1/4 of the way open. Turn on the rear fan to low or medium to keep the air moving through and out the trailer. Won't be any cooler than outside, but shouldn't be much hotter either. The newer, larger fans work great.

Bill
Fantastic does not recommend this, as the buffeting will tear the cover off, or at least loosen it to the point it has trouble opening and closing.
A solution that worked for us with our manual opening Fantastic, was to install a Maxx Air vent cover on the outside, and open the Fantastic under it. This also is not recommended, but for a different reason: Not as much air will flow when parked and operating it. It was a good trade-off for us, Less air while parked vs a cooler trailer when we get where we're going.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
This is really a matter of personal preference. A MO with slides certainly gives you a bit more room. However, a 35' MO loses about 4' up front to the driver/passenger area. If its a Diesel Pusher, there goes another couple of feet to the generator compartment.

A toad, ( car being towed), will be necessary. Not all are capable. Most that are need a modification to either the transmission, a pump, or the drive shaft, a disconnect.

A MO adds two more engines to be maintained, the main and the generator. Power jacks, slides, air brakes, etc. also add to maintainence.

If you have never driven a 13+ton thing with a tow extending over a total of 55'+ in length in congested, freeway traffic, with on ramp merges every 1/2 mile or so, you don't know what white knuckle driving is all about. Long haul truck drivers have no problem with this. I was scared the whole time. The stopping distance is several times greater than my current AS/Expedition combo..

Small country roads, out of the way campgrounds, county, state and federal parks with tight spaces are out of the question. Finally, it is almost impossible to back up with a tow, even a few feet. Therefore, you will need to keep driving after a wrong turn until you find a U opportunity. Of course, you really need to be very careful before you pull into anywhere to make sure you can get out the other end.

If you like private campgrounds with "big rig" sites, have the $ to afford the maintenence and your life style fits, then a MO might make sense. As I said at the beginning of this diatribe, its a matter of personal perference. However, moving from a Airstream to a MO involves a big adjustment.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Interesting comments about former diesel pusher owners switching to truck and trailers. Probably gonna be lots of opinions about this but I will throw in my 2 cents........ I am one of the Airstream diesel pusher guys.....grew up in a camper family, grandfather had several and went to Alaska from Florida for yearly trips. My Dad owned everything from VW popup camper to Class A, 5th wheel, and later downsized to Class B. His brother was the same with big Allegro MH with tag axle.

Are motorhome pushers more expensive than trailers....yes.
Are they expensive if crashed or damaged...yes
Are they easier to drive.....probably so. Most people have trouble backing up a trailer, in a motorhome with rear camera, its a breeze.
Do motorhomes handle better in crosswinds and poor weather condition...probably.
No one jack-knives in motorhomes and its a rare rig that you see blown into the median after a tire blow out.

My Dad said worst camper he owned was the 5th wheel because of the weight pushing his truck. When I was ready to buy my first rv, all 3 said same thing. "Better to drive something big and tow something little than drive something little and tow something big". That said, my first was a 27' Champion Telstar. Today I drive a 35' Land Yacht pusher towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I often forget is back there till I see the camera
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote