Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Belvedere , Queensland
1983 Excella

Hi everyone, I am just. ( (hopefully ) about to purchase the above model and would be be interested to hear from anyone with any information at all about this model - from adequate towing vehicles to pros and cons you have discovered
I live in the far north of Australia presently and hope to have this beautiful Airstream as my home for many years
Many thanks for inclusion in the group
Susanna
Carolinexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Hi Susanna
Aussie TV's will be a bit different than North American TV's. You do have NA full size pick ups, although they're very expensive compared to Toyota Landcruiser and others. You'd have to let us know what vehicles are available in the Great Down Under.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS I have always lusted after a Toyota LC79 crew cab Landcruiser myself. I can buy it in Canada, as they import them into the country for mining, but I couldn't license it for the road unfortunately.[emoji31]

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Belvedere , Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Hi Susanna
Aussie TV's will be a bit different than North American TV's. You do have NA full size pick ups, although they're very expensive compared to Toyota Landcruiser and others. You'd have to let us know what vehicles are available in the Great Down Under.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS I have always lusted after a Toyota LC79 crew cab Landcruiser myself. I can buy it in Canada, as they import them into the country for mining, but I couldn't license it for the road unfortunately.[emoji31]
Thanks Tony - if that’s the only problem then I’ll be very happy. I don’t watch TV !
I’m looking at Nissan Patrol Wagons -presently -they tow up to 3.5 ton and are similar to Toyota but cheaper -and certain models are better than the landcruisers which are overrated imo

Thanks for your reply !
Much appreciated
Susanna
Old 12-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Always nice to meet someone from a different country. Australia has been on TV lately with the horrific drought and wildfires. Colorado is prone to wildfires also.

What length is the Excella you are considering? I'm guessing 31'. There is a plaque on the trailer somewhere that will give you the gross vehicle weight rating of the trailer. The tow vehicle specifications ought to exceed this gross vehicle weight rating.

We have a 86 Limited 34'. These old Airstreams last a long time. These old Airstreams develop problems. For a 83 model year Airstream, I would expect some maintenance issues, like the air conditioner doesn't work, nor the water heater, or the toilet leaks. Inspect it thoroughly, be ready for fixing.

I've mentioned it before. Airstreams are nifty travel trailers. Many people in these Forums live full time in them, but the trailer wasn't necessarily designed for that. The aluminum construction is an excellent conductor of heat and cold. The walls are only 1 1/2" thick with fiberglass mat insulation. Maybe where you live the temperatures are rather temperate. Extreme heat and cold are difficult for comfort in an Airstream.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:18 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Belvedere , Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hello from Colorado: Always nice to meet someone from a different country. Australia has been on TV lately with the horrific drought and wildfires. Colorado is prone to wildfires also.

What length is the Excella you are considering? I'm guessing 31'. There is a plaque on the trailer somewhere that will give you the gross vehicle weight rating of the trailer. The tow vehicle specifications ought to exceed this gross vehicle weight rating.

We have a 86 Limited 34'. These old Airstreams last a long time. These old Airstreams develop problems. For a 83 model year Airstream, I would expect some maintenance issues, like the air conditioner doesn't work, nor the water heater, or the toilet leaks. Inspect it thoroughly, be ready for fixing.

I've mentioned it before. Airstreams are nifty travel trailers. Many people in these Forums live full time in them, but the trailer wasn't necessarily designed for that. The aluminum construction is an excellent conductor of heat and cold. The walls are only 1 1/2" thick with fiberglass mat insulation. Maybe where you live the temperatures are rather temperate. Extreme heat and cold are difficult for comfort in an Airstream.

David
Hello David

I can’t thank you enough for your letter and excellent information. And yes you are correct in that a lot of the country appears to be burning up. Lots of tragic circumstances as always when we decide to live in prone areas - Colorado certainly has it’s extremes I’ve heard !

Yes it’s a 31’ Airstream and apparently 2.5 tonne so I would need a substantial tow vehicle if I go ahead especially as our roads are nowhere near as good and/or wide as yours

Yes there are some issues with it - I haven’t yet seen it as it’s situated several 1000 kms from me. The roof hatch is broken and the step is jammed onto the body both caused en route. I’m not sure what condition the roof is in on the whole plus the electric system would need to be changed over to 240 v

The Airstream came out from Alabama earlier this year - I would be super interested to contact the original owners
The asking price here is $115,000 as is which makes it the most expensive Airstream I’ve seen down under

Also I live in the tropics in Australia - extreme temperatures of high humidity. Thanks very much for the info again - very helpful

Cheers
Susanna
Old 12-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Me again: Thank you for the kind words. I just spent the better half of the afternoon fixing the folding steps on my friend's 76 Sovereign 31', or should I say about 9.5 meters. His has a gross vehicle weight rating of 7100 pounds, or should I say 3200 kg. Why the USA never switch to the international metric system I will never understand. We are fixing the frame, fixing the cabinetry, replacing the plumbing, installing a new furnace, installing new axles, and the list goes on and on. A big winter project for us.

This far away 83 Excella concerns me. Broken steps could be $1000 usa to fix. A broken roof vent may have let water into the trailer which can cause a lot of problems. You mentioned $115,000 asking price. A brand new Airstream may not cost that much. I've never seen a 83 Excella in this country with that high of an asking price. Maybe I don't understand the exchange rate.

Anyway, maybe you can have the trailer inspected before you invest in such a long trip to look for yourself. Airstream Forums has volunteer inspectors who are willing to complete a thorough inspection of a "for sale" Airstream for a far away interested party. I've done 4 of them myself. I think the inspection is beneficial for the seller and buyer. Builds confidence for both.

Good luck in your search. Here is a photo of our 86 Limited. I thought you might enjoy seeing it. I enjoy showing it off. I'm just a big show off!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1804 Tucson Lemons (Small).JPG
Views:	45
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	358352  
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 12-29-2019, 11:11 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Belvedere , Queensland
Quote:
Me again: Thank you for the kind words. I just spent the better half of the afternoon fixing the folding steps on my friend's 76 Sovereign 31', or should I say about 9.5 meters. His has a gross vehicle weight rating of 7100 pounds, or should I say 3200 kg. Why the USA never switch to the international metric system I will never understand. We are fixing the frame, fixing the cabinetry, replacing the plumbing, installing a new furnace, installing new axles, and the list goes on and on. A big winter project for us.

This far away 83 Excella concerns me. Broken steps could be $1000 usa to fix. A broken roof vent may have let water into the trailer which can cause a lot of problems. You mentioned $115,000 asking price. A brand new Airstream may not cost that much. I've never seen a 83 Excella in this country with that high of an asking price. Maybe I don't understand the exchange rate.

Anyway, maybe you can have the trailer inspected before you invest in such a long trip to look for yourself. Airstream Forums has volunteer inspectors who are willing to complete a thorough inspection of a "for sale" Airstream for a far away interested party. I've done 4 of them myself. I think the inspection is beneficial for the seller and buyer. Builds confidence for both.

Good luck in your search. Here is a photo of our 86 Limited. I thought you might enjoy seeing it. I enjoy showing it off. I'm just a big show off!

David
Wowwwww !!! I got super excited when I saw your 86 Limited - I sure would be showing that off too.
Any chance of seeing some inside photos ?
My email is zambezi96@hotmail.com if that’s easier - I’m not sure of the forums ruling but I’d very much like to see inside

I appreciate your advice very much. It’s so kind of you to take the time to answer my question and offer some good practical thoughts - thankyou
It was my initial thought to come to the US and seek out one myself plus holiday over there at the same time . I’ve done plenty of driving on your side from LA to Florida Canada and in between
Pulling a vehicle is not a problem I’ve had plenty of experience with bigger vehicles and trailers.

Yes I agree with you totally and wish we had volunteer inspectors but sadly no such thing. Airstreams are fairly rare here and normal trailer mechanics would not be aware of what to look for unfortunately.
To me it seems like the sort of trailer where the transaction should be very helpful on both sides - and fair as they are not cheap to maintain and fix as you have clearly illustrated
I have looked at a few in the US and they are way more reasonably priced - even considering the exchange rate at present which is lousy ( for us )

I am now thinking I should not rush in - my property still has to settle in any case

It’s ok I am a New Zealander and we still deal in feet!
either or is fine
Old 12-30-2019, 06:00 AM   #8
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
That’s close to $86000 USD. Quite a nice premium for an ‘83 even if it is in Australia. You may be able to purchase one in the US and transport it for less.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi again: Airstream has built many different floor plans through the years. You can learn about different model years and floor layouts at the Airstream Document Archive linked here. I use it frequently.

https://www.airstream.com/owners/document-archive/

Our Limited is a mid bath, rear twin beds. It has a dinette in the galley that folds down to another bed. The trailer has a big wardrobe across from the bath. The front sitting area is a gaucho and room for a reclining chair also. The Limited version has the solid hickory wood cabinets that we really enjoy. They have held up well through the years. The Limited was the top of the line trailer back then. The new Airstream Classic is even better. New Airstreams are very well build indeed.

Here is a photo of the inside of our Limited

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408 New Curtains-800x600.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	358411  
Old 12-30-2019, 11:13 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Belvedere , Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
That’s close to $86000 USD. Quite a nice premium for an ‘83 even if it is in Australia. You may be able to purchase one in the US and transport it for less.
Thankyou for your thoughts
I am thinking the same
Transportation is not ridiculous from the Us to Australia and I would maybe not be paying someone else’s profit margin

Thanks
Old 12-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Belvedere , Queensland
Quote:
Hi again: Airstream has built many different floor plans through the years. You can learn about different model years and floor layouts at the Airstream Document Archive linked here. I use it frequently.

https://www.airstream.com/owners/document-archive/

Our Limited is a mid bath, rear twin beds. It has a dinette in the galley that folds down to another bed. The trailer has a big wardrobe across from the bath. The front sitting area is a gaucho and room for a reclining chair also. The Limited version has the solid hickory wood cabinets that we really enjoy. They have held up well through the years. The Limited was the top of the line trailer back then. The new Airstream Classic is even better. New Airstreams are very well build indeed.

Here is a photo of the inside of our Limited

David
Thanks very much for the link - very informative and I had no idea there was so much variation in layouts and materials

Your interior is stunning !

I will look at later models - the main advantage to having a ‘vintage’ of over 25 years is I do not have to change the exterior door to the other side.
Plus the feel of history which you cannot buy
Old 12-31-2019, 06:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have an 81 Excella II center bath trailer and it is a good one. Spent some time fixing floor rot and frame issues but she is in great shape now. Was the trailer you are buying bought in Australia or was it imported.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Belvedere , Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I have an 81 Excella II center bath trailer and it is a good one. Spent some time fixing floor rot and frame issues but she is in great shape now. Was the trailer you are buying bought in Australia or was it imported.

Perry
It was recently imported form Alabama and being sold here as a vintage Airstream

Is yours for sale ?
Old 01-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
There you go Perry. You could sell this one and start another project trailer. You certainly know how to renovate vintage Airstreams, and have helped me through the years with my projects.

David
Old 01-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2002 31' Classic
Troy , Ohio
Hello. We have an 83 Excella and it is 31' long. We have owned it for about 10 years. We have towed it with 2 different Ford F150 trucks: the first was a 2001 with a 4.6 L engine and currently with a 2010 that has a 5.4 L engine. The trailer tows very well.
The trailer was in original condition when we bought it, and still has working original refrigerator, stove, furnace, bedroom drapes, couch (needs to be recovered or replaced), and awnings. We have replaced the carpet, front drapes, mattresses, toilet, water heater, air conditioner, axles, tires, dump valves, bumper, TV antenna and sound system. The outside has been stripped and polished, and the decal around the middle replaced, and exterior lighting with LED lamps.
I would be happy to answer any questions about the trailer.
rmk110761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinexx View Post
It was recently imported form Alabama and being sold here as a vintage Airstream

Is yours for sale ?

Unfortunately not at this time. Buying long distance is always a risk because you can't look at it first. Where in Alabama is it? I am in the Huntsville Alabama area. There are folks on this group who will look at trailers and help you find a good one. Most need anything from minor repair to a total gut and remodel. Mine was on the brink when I got it. I was able to retain most of the interior which saves a lot of time. A gut and remodel can be a multi-year process.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:10 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
GUELPH , ON
I think I can get you a 1980's ~31' Airstream for $50,000 delivered to Australia. I could possibly have it converted to 240v/12v too. I've shipped vehicles from Canada there and can again. Cheers.
passenger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Belvedere , Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk110761 View Post
Hello. We have an 83 Excella and it is 31' long. We have owned it for about 10 years. We have towed it with 2 different Ford F150 trucks: the first was a 2001 with a 4.6 L engine and currently with a 2010 that has a 5.4 L engine. The trailer tows very well.
The trailer was in original condition when we bought it, and still has working original refrigerator, stove, furnace, bedroom drapes, couch (needs to be recovered or replaced), and awnings. We have replaced the carpet, front drapes, mattresses, toilet, water heater, air conditioner, axles, tires, dump valves, bumper, TV antenna and sound system. The outside has been stripped and polished, and the decal around the middle replaced, and exterior lighting with LED lamps.
I would be happy to answer any questions about the trailer.
Many thanks for your reply and helpful info- I would be keen to see photos - it sounds like you have done some pretty amazing work. So are you actually selling it ?
I didn’t realise there were so many ‘83 Excellas !
Old 01-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Belvedere , Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger56 View Post
I think I can get you a 1980's ~31' Airstream for $50,000 delivered to Australia. I could possibly have it converted to 240v/12v too. I've shipped vehicles from Canada there and can again. Cheers.
Hi
Sounds a positive proposition- thanks !
I would definitely be interested. I am a little dubious about buying from up north owing to rust etc from the salt you guys use in winters but if everything checked out then it could be a good solution and would save me substantially
Old 01-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Belvedere , Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Unfortunately not at this time. Buying long distance is always a risk because you can't look at it first. Where in Alabama is it? I am in the Huntsville Alabama area. There are folks on this group who will look at trailers and help you find a good one. Most need anything from minor repair to a total gut and remodel. Mine was on the brink when I got it. I was able to retain most of the interior which saves a lot of time. A gut and remodel can be a multi-year process.

Perry
Hi Perry - the AS I’m currently looking at is already here in Oz - but was originally purchased in Alabama and is in good condition apart from a little damage unfortunately incurred en route
Yes I am beginning to understand thanks to the kind people in this forum that owning an AS can prove a large investment of time and finances - and ongoing maintenance
I am now reconsidering somewhat if it is right for me as am feeling I’d be kind of isolated here without the help of people like yourself and it could prove very challenging
You have all been so helpful ! Can’t thank you enough