Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
boynton beach , Florida
Red face 1979 Excella Motorhome 28' Rear Bath renovation

Hello Everyone, I am new to this site and hope I can find some useful informtion. I am starting a renovation on my 1979 28' motorhome and have run into a few questions. Yesturday I pulled the toliet out but cannot seem to get past that, Has anyone pulled the pumbing in this area and can you tell me how to get the flage out or the part that attaches to the toilet. Also did some looking at the wiring and found a burt out fuse in the 12v converstion wiring, It came close to starting the rug on fire at one point. I bought this motorhome with the understanding that the electric was bad due to a squirell or someother critter had chewed up the wiring, I am starting to wonder if this is the case with the wiring, Something definatly lived in it and chewed plumbing and such but have not found any chewed wires.
nikiarntz113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
What color is the wire? I have a color code chart that may help.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikiarntz113 View Post
Hello Everyone, I am new to this site and hope I can find some useful informtion. I am starting a renovation on my 1979 28' motorhome and have run into a few questions. Yesturday I pulled the toliet out but cannot seem to get past that, Has anyone pulled the pumbing in this area and can you tell me how to get the flage out or the part that attaches to the toilet. Also did some looking at the wiring and found a burt out fuse in the 12v converstion wiring, It came close to starting the rug on fire at one point. I bought this motorhome with the understanding that the electric was bad due to a squirell or someother critter had chewed up the wiring, I am starting to wonder if this is the case with the wiring, Something definatly lived in it and chewed plumbing and such but have not found any chewed wires.
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the Airstream. We have a 82 28' Excella with rear bath. Is yours gas or diesel?

I think the toilet flange just unscrews. I haven't had the tanks out but most of the drain fittings are under the coach. The wiring can be fun especially under the dash. Post a few pics and you will get lots of help here.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

boynton beach , Florida
Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I will post some pictures of the motorhome and some of the renovation and problem areas later today. Found this in WV, bought it off craigslist sight unseen, flew up from FLA and drove it back, Only had 3k put on it in 15 yrs, the motor runs strong chevy 454. had to get tires, belts etc. to make it home but very much in original condition in the interior, few small tears and stuff....
Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

boynton beach , Florida
some pictures posted..
Old 11-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The hard plastic toilet flange unscrews. It can be a bear to get moving but once started comes out pretty easily. You can use the two closet screws as posts and a piece of broom handle between same to get some leverage.

When you reinstall, some ivory soap on the threads helps...

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Original owner had squirrel chew spark plug wire casings, also vacuum line material to make a nest on the motor. I found space between fuel tank and chassis beam is a favorite place to nest, and house wren used motor insulation to make a nice soft nest. Only way I could stop the pecking of the foam was placing cardboard over the insulation. I think I will foam all the spaces between the tanks and beams and inbed quarter inch chicken wire mesh to stop future critters.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

boynton beach , Florida
Thanks everyone you have been so helpful, I will try the flange trick today, With regards to the fuse panel for the 12V converter, we are going to upgrade I think we have found what we need for the 20 amp fuses but having a bit of trouble finding what we need for the 50 amps? Any suggestions? I have found most material for this part in Marine websites...Going to flush the engine and radiator today, Up grade some hoses, Clean the engine and anything else we might accomplish, Maybe even take the afternoon of for some boating in the everglades....Thanks again...

Tags
1979, excella, motorhome, renovation