Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 PM   #1

1978 31' Sovereign
Canonsburg , Pennsylvania
Smile 1978 Sovereign

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I just acquired a "new to us" '78 Sovereign. It is the twin bunk, rear bath model. She's in pretty good shape, but there are some problems. The original refrigerator, water filter, curtains, one shade, spice rack cover, and the bathroom sink and shower faucets are all missing. We are "purists" and want to keep it as original as possible. Any suggestions of where we might be able to find any of these things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million,
Cindy
94coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Cindy:

Congrats on your "new" Sovereign. We also have a '78 Sovereign, rear bedroom, center bath. Unfortunately, I don't have any sources since all of the items were in place when we got ours six years ago. We are missing two cabinet doors and the spice rack is permanently open since the tambour door does not want to open if you close it. I suggest that you use the search function on this website. There is a ton of info available.

I note that you hail from Canonsburg. We lived in Pittsburgh for 18 years near Cheswick before moving to sunshine 6 years ago. Still have good friends and fond memories. Go Steelers!
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #3

1978 31' Sovereign
Canonsburg , Pennsylvania
Hi Harry,
Thanks for your reply. I can't believe how much info is on this site! It's a little overwhelming. I have made contact with a member here who has agreed to send me a copy of the service manual, which I think is just incredibly nice. Anyway. that should at least tell me manufacturers,model numbers etc....might make the search a little easier. I promised him that I would not profit from the info and that I would pay the favor foward, so if you need a copy. let me know.

I'm glad to see that your change in location didn't diminish your loyalty to the "Black-n-Gold". My husband and I always say that we may have two daughters, but God also blessed us with 53 boys!
94coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94coach
Hi Everyone,
My husband and I just acquired a "new to us" '78 Sovereign. It is the twin bunk, rear bath model. She's in pretty good shape, but there are some problems. The original refrigerator, water filter, curtains, one shade, spice rack cover, and the bathroom sink and shower faucets are all missing. We are "purists" and want to keep it as original as possible. Any suggestions of where we might be able to find any of these things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million,
Cindy
Cindy,

Congratulations on the new purchase! I love the 70's era Airstreams and Argosys. I have restored 3 Argosys; a 1976 and two 1977's!
The faucets have not changed much from what is available today. They will have a few new "lines" and "curves" to them but they will essentially be the same. It would be hard to tell the difference. You can pick these up at any local RV dealer or you can order them online from any number of RV supply outlet sites.
As for the original refirgerator, if it is completely gone I would find a comparable Dometic or Norcold replacement. One thing to keep in mind is that the Norcold is American made. You can get a pretty good deal on new fridges from Palamino RV. If you search for Palamino here on the forums you will come up with a few threads that have their contact information. I found them selling fridges on Ebay back a couple years ago and now there have been a ton of forums members who have bought from them. You do have to know exactly what you want from them. They cannot cross-reference for you.
As for the curtains, I would recommend either Fowlers or James P. Ambruso for replacement draperies. They both make some wonderful curtains and they fit perfectly.
There is also a forums member that will make them for you. I am not sure who it is but I have heard wonderful things about her. She is also, by far, less expensive than Fowlers or Ambruso.
Is your spice rack cover the tambour type? If so, there are tons of places to buy tambour material that you can cut to size and install yourself. Do a search on here for tambour replacement. I am sure you will come up with tons of information.
As for the water filter, you should be able to get an exact replacement from the OEM. I am not sure what yours will be. Maybe someone else can help you with that.
Enjoy your new trailer and I am proud of the fact that you are purists as well!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote