Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #1

1976 Argosy 26
Austin , Texas
1976 Argosy with Simple Dreams

Hello Everyone,

I am glad to find this forum and have spent many hours enjoying countless posts. I am a writer in Austin, TX and have just purchased a very bedraggled 1976 Argosy 26' trailer to have fun with. Woohoo! If there are any inspectors in Austin who would be so kind as to come give their insight, I would be grateful.

I need to get the fresh water plumbing working this week and am willing to pay an experienced person to assist.

I am a firsttimer and the seller did a good bit of fibbing. He told me all the systems worked ~ hilarious! Since I bought it for only $2400 I am not too concerned. It was too far out of town for me to ask anyone to do an inspection before purchase, though I do wish I'd done that. It was used as a deer hunting camp. Before buying I got almost scammed on Craigslist twice by fake sellers (or rather, the same fake seller advertising in Texas and in Louisiana!) So I decided to just go for this trailer since I knew it truly existed.

Now that I have the sweet thing set up in my backyard I'm starting to learn about how everything interconnects. In Austin I'm looking to pay someone to help me get the freshwater and greywater working in the next 10 days. I stuck a hose in the inlet to the fresh tank and all the water spilled out onto the floor, from a place where a cap, plug, or line seems to be missing. I use only garden friendly soaps and plan to drain the greywater to the garden.

Once I started peeling back the layers I discovered many families of mice, and things fairly untouched for 38 years. The electricity works, and it has a clear title, and original bathtub and sink, and all overhead cabinets. I have removed the goucho and rotten lower cabinets in the kitchen, and am removing linoleum floor tile.

I do need to do a lot of learning in a jiffy. My goals for the trailer in this order:

Immediate / Urgent Interior

Clean
Get fresh and greywater plumbing working
Determine what needs replacing before laying flooring
Install faucets
Install fridge salvaged from another Argosy
Remove linoleum
Put down rugs
Perhaps replace a/c
Caulk edges and seams

Interior Over the Summer:

Paint cabinets white with copper accents
Install bamboo or cork floors
Low-VOC paint or clay plaster the walls
Build new kitchen cabinet (restore or replace original gas stove)
Install dinette or goucho up front
Install double or twin bed in middle

Exterior Long-Term:

Pull out dents
Sand
Paint with self-leveling marine paint in bright colors
Fix headlights
Install awnings
Skylight

Go on the road!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140320_191143.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	209769  
abriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by abriel View Post
In Austin I'm looking to pay someone to help me get the freshwater and greywater working in the next 10 days.
Isn't there an Airstream dealer right there in the Austin area that you could take it to?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #3

1976 Argosy 26
Austin , Texas
Hi Protagonist,
Thank you for that suggestion. I do not have a tow vehicle, so I couldn't transport the trailer. But I will look to find out where the dealer is and visit to see if they have ideas for who could help. Thanks!
abriel is offline   Reply With Quote