Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
1974 Sovereign 31'

Yet another newbie joins the fray...

I just bought a 1974 Sovereign LandYacht two days ago - September 24, 2006.

Looks to be all original except the flooring in the LR which dealer said was replaced due to prior owner hacking it up looking for a leak.

I know NOTHING. Fortunately, Pa is standing by to help me refurbish, refit, replace and repair. My husband would help, but he's currently overseas so its all up to me and Pa.

I am planning to live in the 'Stream on the job site. We are currently building a house and the time has come to have a body onsite for the day to day operations and nightly guard duties (two dogs actually do this part of the work as long as they aren't confronted by those of the burgling persuasion - in that case, I take over with appropriate phone calls to Pa for help).

I didn't buy a new trailer/RV because I can't afford it due to housebuilding. However, slowly fixing up a nice quality Airstream which we can use for camping after the house is done was well within the realm of possibility. Plus, the dear husband (otherwise referred to as DH) has always wanted an Airstream!

I will be asking questions as we go along - right now Pa is setting up the park site with water, electric and septic (already in place for the house, we're just tying in). He plans to weatherproof the RV components of the hookups with insulation, buried cable and whatnot I do not understand at this time, but expect to in the future...

My job is to clean this baby. Mom is helping me, so I won't have to do that part alone. We did bug bomb yesterday although we had no evidence of critters of the insect persuasion.

I am not planning to restore to original. I have the twin bed back, bathroom middle option. I will be replacing in the future with a larger bed. Not sure about the bathroom, either - its very small and there's a perfectly good closet across from it that may become a tub/shower. I also need to change the living room to reflect my current must-have-computer status. I am a writer and this is more important than television or a functioning refrigerator. Especially with a publisher deadline looming in November. The couch, table and wall unit will be replaced with something more in keeping with my needs.

As I said, the fridge doesn't work and there is a gap between it and the storage units to the ceiling. The fridge looks to be original from pictures I've found around the 'Net of the insides...so not sure about that gap.

I am amazed at how much storage manufacturers packed into this space - that's why the closet may become a tub/shower - I think I can get away with less storage (I've been living in a pop-up the past 6 months).

Okay - that's me. I'l ask more questions later after I spend the morning cleaning up StreamBoat Annie.

Merry
Merry Stahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Merry, welcome to the forums! So one project (the house) wasn't quite enough? I have to imagine that whatever condition your Airstream is in, it's going to end up being a lot more comfortable than living in a pop-up for 6 months. Glad you have your parents to help you out. The answers to a lot of your questions may be found by using the search feature in the blue bar at the top of the screen. Don't worry - the things you don't understand now will make sense as you do them. Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures of your new treasure!
Old 09-27-2006, 09:08 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
A big Airstream Forums welcome to you and Steamboat Annie. You'l find a lot of good information here.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Merry,

Welcome to the forums and congrats. on your AS. I also have a '74 sov. Mine is a rear bath unit w/center twins. If I can help let me know I have the service manual that covers all the '74 sov. units and I will be more than happy to do some scanning and e-mailing if needed.

Dave.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Hi and welcome. the Sovereign owners here are many, and lots with experiences to tap.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Merry, welcome to our forums from another Missouri Airstreamer! You seem to have a full plate between your writing, house building, and now AS reconditioning Be sure to use our forum search function found on the menu bar near the top of the page. You'll find most issues have been addressed, but don't hesitate to ask any questions as posts as well. Our Gypsy is also a 31'er; she just took us to the Colorado Rockies and back again. God bless our "Pa's" and all other help-givers when we are working on our Airstream addictions! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote