Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
taylorsville , Utah
1971 Safari (21 or 23 foot?)

Hello! I just bought a 1971 Safari..the guy said it's a 21 foot, not sure if that's so or not. Are trailers measured from the tongue tip to the very rear, or is the tongue not included? I have 2 important issues I would love some guidance on. First, furnace problem: strange, the blower works AND the pilot stays lit, but just blowing cold air. What else is supposed to happen that isn't? One other item: I want to replace the main door latch, it feels like my key may break off when locking/unlocking it, and i can't lock trailer from the inside. I've looked all over the place for a replacement, closest thing is a Barger, but that doesnt' fit either. Anywhere I can get a replacement for this, or do I just need to get lucky and find some original part on eBay? I've already checked out some forums to find answers to my questions, but no luck with my specific problems. Any help is appreciated, glad to be part of all you Streamers!
canine camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
In 1971 The 21 ft model was the Globetrotter with only 1 axle. The 23ft model was the Safari with 2 or tandem axles. Trailers are measured from the ball coupler to the bumper. Welcome to the forum

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by canine camp
Hello! I just bought a 1971 Safari..the guy said it's a 21 foot, not sure if that's so or not. Are trailers measured from the tongue tip to the very rear, or is the tongue not included? I have 2 important issues I would love some guidance on. First, furnace problem: strange, the blower works AND the pilot stays lit, but just blowing cold air. What else is supposed to happen that isn't? One other item: I want to replace the main door latch, it feels like my key may break off when locking/unlocking it, and i can't lock trailer from the inside. I've looked all over the place for a replacement, closest thing is a Barger, but that doesnt' fit either. Anywhere I can get a replacement for this, or do I just need to get lucky and find some original part on eBay? I've already checked out some forums to find answers to my questions, but no luck with my specific problems. Any help is appreciated, glad to be part of all you Streamers!
Can't help you with the furnace, but I had good luck disassembling my 71's door lock and cleaning/lubricating the lock cylinder and the moving parts inside the lock assembly. Those door locks are hard to find, and expensive.
InlandRV has new lock cylinders, should you need one.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I have a 1970 "Safari Special" which is single axel, 23' long, with the Globetrotter rear/side bath and double bed in the back. In 1971, I think they went to a dual axel config for the 23'. The door lock can be rebuilt, Bill Jacobs (WDCU Past Prez) has proved that. You may want to contact Bill about the parts needed.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
taylorsville , Utah
thanks for the info, very helpful! I'll check on the forums specific to my trailer for whatever else I come across.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
the VIN will tell you the exact model...

as far as axles go, in the late 60's/early 70's, the 23' safari was available as a single axle, AND a tandem axle. It seems to me that most were tandems, as I've seen alot of them...but I've only ever seen one single axle, in person. (not that it means anything). There are some pics of single axle models on RJ's website. (Vintage Airstream Home)
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Our 1971 23ft Safari furnace worked but I was not sure it was safe. At one of our rallies, the Suburban furnace factory rep check it and advised it to not use it. It was not safe. I took it out and through it away. Now we use an ceramic electric heater or a "Mr Buddy" propane heater when we are boondocking.
As to the lock. I installed a dead bolt and now can lock the door from the inside. The original lock is too expensive to replace. $500?
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
taylorsville , Utah
I actually have a Mr Buddy propane heater too, but wasn't sure if that was safe for sleeping or not? I guess if I have a window slightly open it would be ok. as for the deadbolt, how much work is there with that? Does it require digging into the door jamb, and what is the best method? I don't like the idea of not having a lock on it at night, so I want to get something there. thanks for any info!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 Safari Furnace

The Mr Buddies are safe for inside use. However, I always leave a window open. The deadbolt was not a lot of trouble. I have installed two. One for a friend. They only cost about $18 and come in a stainless silver finish. You do have to drill a hole in the door frame and file is some. The frame is quite tough and strong. Use a rat tail file and a air grinder if you have one. I installed the bolt in the side of the trailer first and that determined the position of the hole in the frame. Having a turn handle inside instead of a key is best for obvious reasons. No key to find inside in a hurry.
Good luck
D
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote