Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
vancouver , Washington
Question 1963 22" Landyacht Safari Airstream

Hello Everyone!!
We are currently in the process of purchasing our new "Baby". All my life i've desired an Airstream for my very own and my dream is just about to become a reality!! i am soooo excited i can barely sleep. I am a little worried about making a sound purchase and would love some input from all of you who know much, much more than i at this point .
first off this airstream i feel is in great shape considering it's age and the fact that it has been sitting in the elements for the past 6 years. the lady who owns it is super cool and is sad to part with her "treasure"but seems excited to sell to me. unfortunatly she knows next to nothing about it or it's functions and status of water and gas lines. she also cannot show me how anything works as she used it as her private get-away and never used anything except heat and lights.
i am having a very hard time finding someone to inpect gas and water lines in her area (hood river, dalles or.) if anyone has any suggestions please drop me a line.
it is missing the dome skylight in dining area and fan in the ceiling by bed is not working nor the fan above the stove. the thermostat is also missing for the oven. no radio or sound system.
don't know if it has a water pump or if it's air pressure system??
the toilet is a little confusing i can't locate a black water tank and am wondering how i would drain it. we do not have an owners manual or anything else like that so i am a little intimidated. where might i get a manual? i'm looking forward to hearing from you all-summitsmum
summitsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You have great one

Try this for a starter....
VintageAirstream - Restoration Resources

That will keep you busy and lead you around the Safari. Then use the "search" tab at the top of this page.
My "baby" is a few years newer than yours...it has an electric, on demand, pump for water. It has a switch above the sink that is mistaken as a light switch by many...do you have a similar?
Your fans are no problem. Don't let them put you off. As with most Vintage...look for leaks and floor problems. Leaks by the water tank, water heater and vents. Everything is fixable...sometimes bigger than others.
Send pictures and we can help more.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
vancouver , Washington
dear Melody R
thank you much for your post.Yes!!! it does have that switch by the sink!! i'm soo excited to find out all this stuff and appreciate the hints. i will post pics as soon as i get them.
does anyone know what the average price is for this model in this condition? just curious as i am still going to have it for my very own summitsmum
Old 10-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitsmum
does anyone know what the average price is for this model in this condition? just curious as i am still going to have it for my very own summitsmum
Here's another resource, actually from the same site...lots of good info to help determine a fair price for both parties ~

Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

Be sure to read the entire document (probably a couple of times!) and not just look at the Table B - Vintage Price Guide...you'll have a better idea of what condition it really is. It could be anywhere from $800-$15,000
Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Your Breaking My Heart

1963 22' Safari Land Yacht.......our first Airstream..

If there is anything you would like to ask send a PM.

The black water drain is in the rear bumper compartment..T-handle on

the street side.

If it hasn't been altered, it does not have a water pump as such. The water

tank is pressurized from an air pump located under the streetside

front setee/bed/gaucho. There should also be a air fill valve on the water

tank fill. Also there is no grey water tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAM'N ON RT.66.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	46560   Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAM'N%20IN%20THE%20ADIRONDACKS%201.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	46561  

Name:	THE%20GOOD%20OLD%20SIXTY%20THREE.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	46562  
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Quote:
we do not have an owners manual or anything else like that so i am a little intimidated. where might i get a manual?

Hello summitsmum! Welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your new baby. Sometimes you can find copies of Airstream owners manuals on eBay. I've seen just about every year during the 1960's listed there. You can set up an automatic eBay search for "airstream manual" and anytime one is posted, you will get an email. Sooner or later, you'll see a 1963 manual go up. Good luck and can't wait to see some photos!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
vancouver , Washington
you all are so wonderful! thank you much for the pics and well wishes.
i am picking up my baby tomorrow and can hardly sit still. my eyes are filled with stars and my thoughts are running around like crazy with all the possibilities.... i actually was put in touch with this company from sydney oh. that has manuals avaolable much to my delight. the staff are a little gruff but mean well as mu manual is on it's way for about $40(wow)
Old 10-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
vancouver , Washington
oh my gosh!!!

this still is confusing.. i've lost 3 mails into forum space?/....
Hello everyone!! things are going well. we got the babes home ok and started working on her the very next day!she had the bed rebuilt to be a tad bigger and lots more sturdy. i also spent two days sanding cabinets. i don't know about staining, i think we will have to go with a nice trim paint similar to the origanal color.some of the vaneer is just to bad. i hope it doesn't hurt the vintage appeal??
so i need help from you all who know about the Tappan oven i need a new themostat and they are no longer available anywhere!!!someone told me that coleman was the original manufacture?i need one. i need one. i need one
we are getting all the lines inspected wed. and she's getting an acid bath and detail as we speak. new floors get installed tomarrow. i have pics so as soon as my hubby gets home you all can see our progress!!!big thanks to my little helper dude Summit the Kol Bugs without him none of this would be possible.later gaters summitsmum
Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
vancouver , Washington
Question i need your help

hi everyone!
i am still having issues finding a thermostat available for the Tappen stove in my '63 safari. i heard that coleman made this product although i have found absolutly no documentation on this. if anyone out there could shine some light on this i would be very grateful.
i also need some direction on the skylight on the tongue side. the original piece is missing and i am unsure as to what went there. i am looking of course into replacing it so anyone knows anything ...?
My wonderful husband Don and my son Summit and i will be heading out for Santa Barbara Ca. in a couple weeks so we want to at least get her ready enough to travel and than pick away at renovations as we go. Although i have to say she's in such good shape. i'm in love. thank you much- summitsmum
Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
have you checked the valve under the front burner? It might be that it is closed and your problem is not really a problem. happened to me....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
first off this airstream i feel is in great shape considering it's age and the fact that it has been sitting in the elements for the past 6 years.
congrats on your new airstream. you seem to getting things done in a hurry to use it (which makes me a little jealous to say the least ).

before you get to far along with the finishing details, did you inspect the frame, axles, and tires? because of its age and the fact it's been sitting for six years, my guess is it will need some serious attention in those departments.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
vancouver , Washington
i love that baby!!!

Of course, i had all that inspected before i brought it home. truly, it's amazing the shape that she is in considering....
Getting her ready for the road has been an adventure since my husband has been away at work this whole time. but, i have a great dad who knows about "guy" stuff and he's been good at getting things moving. i also had to hire a tech guy to inspect and tell me how everything works(which by the way,it all works)he's damn expensive!!lp lines needed replacing along with two new tanks 30 gallons. did i mention he dislikes greatly my beautiful AS and all AS's in general? oh, what a joy!!
also had to hire a guy to deep clean inside and acid wash outside. another $250. shooting for two more weeks. we will see. summitsmum
Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Pictures Please

Quote:
Of course, i had all that inspected before i brought it home. truly, it's amazing the shape that she is in considering....
Getting her ready for the road has been an adventure since my husband has been away at work this whole time. but, i have a great dad who knows about "guy" stuff and he's been good at getting things moving. i also had to hire a tech guy to inspect and tell me how everything works(which by the way,it all works)he's damn expensive!!lp lines needed replacing along with two new tanks 30 gallons. did i mention he dislikes greatly my beautiful AS and all AS's in general? oh, what a joy!!
also had to hire a guy to deep clean inside and acid wash outside. another $250. shooting for two more weeks. we will see. summitsmum
Treat us too some photo's please!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STREAM'N AT THE DOG SHOW WITH BO.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	47933  
Old 10-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
vancouver , Washington
Talking coming soon to a forum near you!!!

hey guy!!!
how are you?
good news. my sweetie will be home on thursday so pictures are in the future.
thanks for yours. your rig is very nice and hope to get my babes as pretty as that soon~ summitsmum

Tags