Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Are there any hints of old "big red" WBCCI numbers on the end caps? Every time I see one that has the roof painted white I wonder if it was on any of the big caravans, like the 1959-60 Cape Town to Cairo Caravan or the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan.
I am going through a bit of a learning curve here. I have only a couple days into airstream talk and this forum.

I searched around a bit (still trying to figure out this site works) and found out that WBCCI stands for Wally Byam Caravan Club International. I'll do a little research on Wally when I get time. I am assuming that if this trailer went on a caravan the owner was issued a decal of some kind to put on the end caps. If you will tell me what and where the end caps are I will take a look when I go back to the trailer in a few weeks. Thanks.
syncrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncrow View Post
I am going through a bit of a learning curve here. I have only a couple days into airstream talk and this forum.

I searched around a bit (still trying to figure out this site works) and found out that WBCCI stands for Wally Byam Caravan Club International. I'll do a little research on Wally when I get time. I am assuming that if this trailer went on a caravan the owner was issued a decal of some kind to put on the end caps. If you will tell me what and where the end caps are I will take a look when I go back to the trailer in a few weeks. Thanks.
Syncrow,
The endcaps are the segmented sections of aluminum above the front and rear windows (which are mostly painted on this one). If there were WBCCI numbers on this trailer and they were removed you would see what's called "ghost images" of the numbers. The issuing of WBCCI numbers does not necessarily mean this trailer went on any caravnas. You will find out all about the history as you read and research. But I will say what everbody else has said or is thinking. Don't do too much research and buy the trailer. $800.00 for that airstream is pretty much a steal and a no-brainer.

By the way welcome to the forums and let aluminitis run wild.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
Buy it and don't look back- before the guy that has it decides to add a zero to the price.[/quote]

Yes, I had already decided to buy it prior to signing on to this site. It is located about 8 hours from where I live and will be going back in the next few days. I would have bought it when we settled on the price but was not aware that it would finally be for sale and wasn't prepared with the money. I told him that I would come back in another month but didn't realized that it was possibly such a good deal. I just liked it because it was old and I liked the style. I'm learning about airstreams. I think I better hurry.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
[quote=DEITZ645;709889]Syncrow,
The endcaps are the segmented sections of aluminum above the front and rear windows. If there were WBCCI numbers on this trailer and they were removed you would see what's called "ghost images" of the numbers. But I will say what everbody else has said or is thinking. Don't do too much research and buy the trailer. $800.00 for that airstream is pretty much a steal and a no-brainer.

Yes, thanks, now that you describe the end caps it seems obvious. I was thinking quarter panels but it didn't quite fit. I will look for the WBCCI numbers when I return to the trailer.

As I said in a response to 65Safari65's post. I had already decided to buy the trailer and would have already paid for it but didn't know it would finally be for sale when I was at it's location a couple weeks ago. You guys have me all excited and am leaving in a couple days to get it. Hopfully this all works out for me.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 AM   #25
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You better buy it quick because I love '59 Airstreams that are in good shape where the stove and fridge are working, plus I know its in the desert within an eight-mile radius and since you live in LA, I know its not west of you. I have cash in hand.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
1959 22' airstream purchase

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7188_resize.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	100872

Name:	DSC_7231_resize.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	100873

Name:	DSC_7232_resize.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	100874

Name:	DSC_7250_resize.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	100875

Name:	DSC_7252_resize.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	100876

Name:	DSC_7253_resize.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	100877

Name:	DSC_7259_resize.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	100878

Name:	DSC_7260_resize.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	100879

Hello all, I am continuing this thread with an update of where I am at with my trailer purchase. The last you heard from me, middle of last year, I was heading to purchase the 1959 airstream in a couple weeks after listening to some good advice from this forum. I did go with the $800 to purchase the trailer but found out that there was some conflict on which family member actually owned the trailer after the father passed. I was assured that the trailer would still be mine to purchase but the dispute over who had the right to sell it had to be resolved.

I went out of the country for several months and came back and found the trailer had been moved and was being lived in. I was told that I could buy it and did. I gave the $800 dollars and was told that the people would move out and I could come and get it in a couple weeks.

Unfortunately the trailer had suffered some damage since I had seen it last. The trailer had sat there for over 15 years with no visible changes other than sun exposure and tires rotting. Then someone started using it and broke 4 windows, removed the TV antenna, removed one propane tank along with the connecting hose, removed the spare wheel and tire, removed the awning and the skylight cover on the roof was gone.

In any case I now have possession of the trailer and am very happy. I have enclosed some photos, I hope they come through. I should have taken some photos prior to going in and cleaning. The cleaning supplies distract somewhat from the interior.

I have spent some time trying to figure exactly what model it is. I believe it is a Flying Cloud as someone has suggested but can't find a photo of another one exactly like it. I found a round metal or aluminum plaque in a drawer, no photo, that has a globe image and the word International. Its about 4" or 5" in diameter. I found the mounting holes directly above the rear window that match the holes in the plague.

Thanks everyone on the info and encouragement on purchasing this trailer.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Welcome back. Good to hear you were finally able to complete the purchase. Sounds like it is a Flying Cloud, Land Yacht, International. Check whether you have rivet holes on the front (both sides on the first curved pannel) that also match up with the round badge. All the Internationals I've seen have three badges - two up front and the one above the rear window as you found. The layout on the interior is nearly identical to a friend's 1959 Flying Cloud, but it looks like you have the dual voltage lights (two bulbs in each fixture with separate switches) that came with the International or Land Yacht option. My friend's Flying Cloud also had a gaucho up front instead of a dinette and did not have a black tank (it looks like yours does have a black tank under the toilet). Very cool trailer you got there.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #28
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Congratulations!!! That is one gorgeous trailer and looks like it has remained original thorough out its lifetime. Not bad for a 1959 trailer. You have the prized Veritas propane lamp, the dual voltage light fixtures and the International globes. I'll send you a PM about the Int'l globe you found as I would like a scan of it if at all possible and since its already off the trailer, it would be easy to do. If I can provide any long distance assistance with your understanding of any of the components, systems or functions, just let me know.

What a thing of beauty!! You should be very proud.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
WOW...Gorgeous trailer! Incredible deal for $800! More pics, please :-)
Oh, and welcome to our little 'club' :-)
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I am stunned! Persistance and a lot of karma in this deal. My goodness, this trailer was just holding out- waiting for you... thankfully you have been able to rescue her before further abuse. I am amazed at the condition- from what I can see anyway. What a nice time capsule. Lucky you!!

Keep us posted please, it's wonderful to know what happened!!

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
$800 ! What a steal! Take pics and post as you clean her up!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Welcome back. Good to hear you were finally able to complete the purchase. Sounds like it is a Flying Cloud, Land Yacht, International. Check whether you have rivet holes on the front (both sides on the first curved panel) that also match up with the round badge.
Thanks, this is fun reading through this forum and gathering lot of info, I'm going through a serious learning curve on how the whole thing works.

I think your correct on the model of 1959 Flying Cloud, Land Yacht ,International. I also believe it was built in California. I will check on the rivet holes on the front where the badges might have been mounted. It will have to wait until I go again to where it is parked, about seven hours from my home. I am working on gathering info on new tires. The ones on it are heavily crack and one is missing rubber in spots on the outer sidewall.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
You have the prized Veritas propane lamp, the dual voltage light fixtures and the International globes.
flyfshr,

Thanks for identifying the propane lamp. I knew it was propane but didn't even think about a name/type. I noticed that there is a gas line going into the closet between the refrigerator and the bed. It comes out on the outside of the closet wall above the bed. I believe there was a Veritas propane lamp there at one time. I will try to find a replacement. I have already bought replacement propane hose and fittings for the ones that are missing going to the tanks. When I get back to the trailer I will hook the propane up and test the lamp along the other propane powered units.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
More pics, please :-)
aircooled4,

Thanks for the welcome, I didn't think of taking photos specifically to show the details of the trailer. I now wish that I had. The few photos I took were more for documenting work of cleaning it up. When I go back to where the trailer is I will take better photos to show more details.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
I am stunned! Persistance and a lot of karma in this deal. I am amazed at the condition- from what I can see anyway.
Silverfoxrae,

I had actually been asking to buy this trailer for about 15 years. It had been parked unused and unopened for the whole time.

My wife and I were only able to spend a few hours getting familiar with it after the purchase. She got started on the scrubbing while I got somewhat familiar with the plumbing and electrical etc. We took out the carpet that was laid on top of the vinyl tile and it appears that the tile is original and in very good condition. Only the first two rows of tile at the door are worn.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #36
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I always enjoy this honeymoon period of new trailer owners. I remember my wedding night when I towed her home. I remember backing her in the driveway. I was one proud peacock for sure. The tiles... I remember telling my friend Rob, "the tiles are in such good condition under the flooring the PO installed"... The honeymoon is the best part.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags