Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
19' or 23' which is best

Hi from Jack Nance in Tucson, AZ

Need your advice. My new 19' SE Bambi with every option available has just arrived. It has the leather sofa and is really a neat looking trailer. We will install two Honda 2000 generators as well.

MY QUESTION: DEALER WILL TRADE IT FOR A NEW 23' SAFARI LOADED WITH EVERY OPTION AND SOFA AND CREDENZA. I can do this now for very little money. We travel on short and long trips but not extended trips. My wife needs laptop space since she publishes texts when we travel.

Would we be happier with a 4' longer trailer?????????
I pull it with an Escalade with 403 hp so this is no question. I have pulled large 40' fifth wheels in the past but want small and handy. We like to stop often and enjoy the out of the way places. Don't want too large again but 4 extra feet is not much. BESIDES, I LIKE THE TANDEM AXLE BETTER ESPECIALLY FOR BACKING.

Will the 23' be much more trouble to handle and pull?

Thanks for your opinion. Don't want to bring this home and wish we had the larger trailer.

Later,

Jack Nance
Jack Nance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Your choice....

personally, if the 23ft Safari doesn't have the SE package, I'd opt for the 19. If it did have the panaramic windows, I'd jump. I really like the SE's aluminum interior also... but it's each person's preference.

Those 19 ft'rs are cute. Stability either way shouldn't be an issue - but in my opinion, the tandems track nicer.

Make sure it's not a 22ft'r though - two different floorplans - I think really the same length.
Have fun either way!
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
Craftsman

I think in all honesty the answer is YES. You'll never regreat the extra space and if anything it'll be easier to handle and back.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I think in all honesty the answer is YES. You'll never regreat the extra space and if anything it'll be easier to handle and back.
Thanks for your reply. Your 25' looks awesome.

Jack Nance
Old 01-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Jack -- Welcome to the Forums! I'd certainly want to walk through the 23' before approving the switch. A bit more interior storage would give some advantage to the 23'. The 4 cu. ft. fridge on the 19' will seem mighty small after a short while; this link seems to say the 23' has a 5 cu ft -- not real familiar with that one but anything is an improvement. The 23' has three potential floor plans up front -- see here -- that's up to you I'd guess.

30 gallons of fresh water will sure seem nicer than 23. Neither has a lot of counter space. Trailer width and the bed/bath setup is the same. Your Escalade will seem much happier with the 8' wide -- and that is the case with both the 19' & 23'.

I've got a 25' FB SE and would say that the SE option should be a secondary consideration. You aren't losing any resale value due to the lower initial cost of a non-SE. I would almost never buy a Safari without the LS option -- which includes the vital electric hitch jack and a handy spare tire (though it is possible to pull into town on 3 tires after removing a flat -- manual says to keep speed below 40-45mph).

Mmm.... how you gonna go?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Both are nice but...

Jack,

Very seldom do people tend to trade for shorter ones. Generally seems most folks buy one that they outgrow and want to go longer.

I'd think hard on going a little longer. I doubt you'd notice the 4' much, even backing up. You'll surely never notice it on the road, other than it may track even a little better. You will notice it inside though.

They're both nice though. Can't really pick a wrong one. I'd like to add a 19' to my stable as well.

Best of luck,
Old 01-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Craftsman

Thanks Jack, we love the 25" and the only other step that I could see taking would be to a 34'. With that said, I went to Colonial Airstreams wedsite and looked at the 23' Safari's and I would think they would be much nicer than the 19 for slightly longer trips.You would'nt think so ,but a couple of feet can make a big difference in comfort. I would say if your even thinking about it that should tell you something.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jack,
I'd go back and forth between the trailers and note the things you really like between the trailers. Consider what you would be doing on your trips inside the trailer. Some people don't spend much time inside when they camp while others spend time reading books, watching TV, playing cards, cooking gourmet meals, etc. Which trailer feels more comfortable to you and has the space available to store what you need on a trip. If the 19 satisfies these requirements then stay with it. If the 23 gives you the additional space you feel you will need and you can still live with the other differences then have at it. I'm one who scaled down from a 1977 31' mid twin to a 1986 25' rear corner bed for reasons of a bigger bed and a shower I could actually take a shower in. Good luck.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Jack
I am the 'not typical' person who went from a larger to a smaller trailer. So long as you have enough tow vehicle, it comes down to personal preference, and where you plan on using it. Most of my trips are 2 or 3 day dry camping, in National Forest Service campgrounds, and (at least where I go) there are sites where a 19' would work a lot better than a 23', and a 25' wouldn't even fit! We use the trailer as a place to sleep & shower, and keep some food cool (the smaller fridge is OK for us on these short outings).

Now, if I had time to take longer trips, and was looking for something to be more like 'spending time in' instead of camping, the longer one would be a lot better. When I retire I may end with two Airstreams - I would still need/want the shorter one to go camping.

If the 19' is about the same cost as the 23', then the 19 must be 'better equipped', and the 23' is more basic, or are they different years? Just trying to understand why the cost spread is not greater.

Just some thoughts to consider - best luck!
Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Alamitos , California
Which is Better?

Hello Jack,
Welcome to the Forums.
I had almost purchased the 19' Bambi SE LS Safari.
My only problem with it was the non-panoramic windows in the
rear and the bed area. Too claustrophobic IMHO!
I am only 5'7" and it was way more cramped than the sideways
rear bed in the 16' Bambi.
Also storage of the unit was also a consideration. Where I live
you may store a TT in your driveway as long as you don't have
it extending into the sidewalk or it is unsafe.
In the rear yard as long as it 5' from property lines.
On a positive note the 19' fit all this nicely and I wouldn't have
to pay to store it elsewhere.
If the above doesn't pertain to you and you intend to live in it
(or storing it isn't an issue) then I would opt for the larger unit.
Definately!
I like the interior space and galley better on the 23'. Plus the
safety of the tandem axles.
Good luck in your choice!
Don
(a longer look from a further distance is sometimes what it takes!)
LifeguardTwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeguardTwr
My only problem with it was the non-panoramic windows in the rear and the bed area. Too claustrophobic IMHO! I am only 5'7" and it was way more cramped than the sideways rear bed in the 16' Bambi.
Well, yes... The corner beds would never work for us (including the 25' SS). The crossways bed of the 16' is reproduced in the 20' Safari -- but that's probably not what Jack's dealer has sitting on the lot, whereas they may have a buyer for the 19' SE.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Hi,

I have a 19' CCD. I love it. But if your tow vehicle can handle it I would go for the 23'. I think just the extra axle is worth it. Also, you will appreciate the extra space.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #13

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Still Wondering, 19'se Or 23'se

Any opinions on this question. Will travel on short trips and not spend weeks in trailer. Both trailers are sofa models so main difference is three feet in living room and a credenza table fold out. We love the table idea but don't want a longer trailer that is not as easy to handle.

Jack Nance
Tucson, AZ
Old 01-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #14
_

. , .
hi jack and welcome to the forums....

didn't you ask this question 2 days ago?

http://www.airforums.com/forum...est-29288.html

best approach is keep it all on one thread...

a moderator can help you with this...

then, if another issue/thought arrises just add the post to the ongoing thread...

all the info and comments are neat and tidy that way and you can bump your thread whenever...

there are also many threads here on issue related to the 19s and 22s and 23s...search or read some....

have you been INSIDE both units....

i find sitting, laying down, using the table and otherwise playing house useful...

go into the toilet area and sit down.... pull the shower curtain and so on...

is there enough counter space for meal prep?

what camping experience do you bring to airstreaming?

as already pointed out the 23 has more space, better capacities and so on...

price difference between these 2 models is insignificant IF you plan to keep and use the trailer much...resale is good for both units...

many opt for a single axle unit thinking it will tow easier or fit their t.v. better...

or because that's all that fits in the driveway!

my preference is for a 16 and a 19....so go with the 34!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
What are you towing with? Where a 19' might be towed with a midsize SUV, a 23 might not.
My choice would be the 23, for the increase in space, and the extra axle.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
Craftsman

Jack, believe it or not the longer the trailer the eaiser it is to handle ...up to a point. If you've ever tried to back say... a small lawn tractor with a cart hitched to the back you'll know what I mean. The smaller the trailer the eaiser it is to jack-knife it when backing. There may not be a huge difference between the 19 and 23 but there's going to be some. A 23 is a piece of cake to handle and you'll welcome the extra space. People with 19's are going to defend their decision and rightly so, but if you just talking 3 feet go with the larger unit. If it were the difference between the 19 and 30 footer, I'd say go with the 19. Once you've camped for a`few days a little moving around room is a blessing especially on days that it rains. You've gotta go with what'll make you happy but for my money it would be the 23'... at a minimum.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #17
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings Jack and welcome-
Bigger is always better. A tandem axel always tows better than a single and if you have the TV go for the larger trailer. I know two people who last spring purchased wonderful brand new AS's only to trade them in by September for bigger models. Look at it like cutting an expensive piece of lumber, always a little bigger than too small! Good luck in your quest!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
size matters

In case you haven't seen it already, here's another good thread on the topic of size, 19" vs ??

http://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-27334.html

Good luck with your decision!

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote