Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Water Tank filling up

I have been hooked up at a Campgrounf for the past few weeks. During my first week I ran off the on-board tank to drain it. Now it is filling back up! Is this normal or is my check valve is not working properly.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have been hooked up at a Campgrounf for the past few weeks. During my first week I ran off the on-board tank to drain it. Now it is filling back up! Is this normal or is my check valve is not working properly.
I heard that the water pump does not have a check valve. Another thread I read on this topic indicates the water pump has a rubber valve or stopper that can open in one direction only. If there is debris, (i.e. plastic shavings from the tank install) that is small enough to get thru the strainer but large enough to clog the valve partially open, this could cause the situation you describe (i.e., the water tank filling while connected to city water).

The advice is to disconnect the pump on the inlet side, and turn the city water back on. If water comes out of the inlet side of the pump, the pump valves are clogged or bad. If no water comes out, then something else is the issue.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have been hooked up at a Campground for the past few weeks. During my first week I ran off the on-board tank to drain it. Now it is filling back up! Is this normal or is my check valve is not working properly.
No, it is not normal. Try turning off the city water, and running the water pump to drain some of the water out, then turn the city water back on. If the tank refills, you have a warranty issue, and the pump will have to be repaired or replaced by your local dealer.
BTW, that pump is not an Airstream-specific part, many coaches use them. Stuff like that has what we call an "infant mortality" rate, you just happened to get a problem child...Good luck with it, and hopefully it will sort itself out. Have you gotten set up yet full-time, or still seeing America?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I heard that the water pump does not have a check valve. Another thread I read on this topic indicates the water pump has a rubber valve or stopper that can open in one direction only. If there is debris, (i.e. plastic shavings from the tank install) that is small enough to get thru the strainer but large enough to clog the valve partially open, this could cause the situation you describe (i.e., the water tank filling while connected to city water).

The advice is to disconnect the pump on the inlet side, and turn the city water back on. If water comes out of the inlet side of the pump, the pump valves are clogged or bad. If no water comes out, then something else is the issue.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
I recall reading that thread with the identical problem, and then a reader asked why Airstream didn't offer a feature to fill the fresh tank by bypassing the pump. My '89 Excella has that feature (standard equipment) by use of a switch on the central control panel called "auto fill". When the tank reaches 3/4 full, the solenoid valve automatically shuts. Problem is, these valves have a high failure rate, stick open or leak by when deenergized, hence the tank overflows. Luckily to the outside.

You're right, it's probably a problem on the pump suction side. A new trailer most likely manufacturing debris caught up in the flapper. Should be easy to troubleshoot and repair.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
...Should be easy to troubleshoot and repair.
Cool...perhaps we can look at it at the Monadnock rally because my water pump is doing the same thing (i.e., filling up my fresh water tank while hooked to city water)!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Water. Stationary.

Terry,
I will give that a try. I have stopped my trek across the US for now. Depending on how my job goes I may be adding Oregon to the list. I have been stationary for the past three weeks. I close on my property in a couple of weeks so I may be moving my trailer as soon as get power to the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VisitedStatesMap.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	21133  

Old 05-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
jcanavera had a similar issue if I recall correctly. He had some part replaced and if fixed it. I know that doesn't help, but you can PM him. I'm sure he can tell you what the part was. I seem to recall it was either a check valve or the pump itself. Whatever was done, it fixed the problem.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
water tank filling up

hi all I have same prob.its filling up and draining.john.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Michelle,,, hope your water tank issue gets resolved soon,,,, glad you are adding Oregon to your list,,,, me too in June,,,,donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My problem was the pump. Once dealer replaced it, the problem went away.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I've noticed that the newer pumps have a check-valve built into them, so perhaps AS takes advantage of that fact, and doesn't bother with one in the cold water line. My trailer has a seperate check valve in the line between the pump output and the cold water line. But yeah, without a check valve somewhere, city water would go backwards through the pump and into the water tank.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I replaced the pump Thursday evening after driving to Spokane to pick it up. Nice drive, Nice Folks. I need to drain the tank since it is near full at this point. I also installed a check valve in the pump output line. This should keep things normal. I also checked the strainer. Some plastic chips, nothing too small or large.

Tags
2006 classic