Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Whitney , Texas
Water pump

After 4 month storage, I brought AS home to ready for trip. After filling my fresh water tank I turned on water pump to flush air out of the lines. After having water flowing from all faucets and flushing toilet, I notice when all faucets are closed the pump continuously cycles on and off. Real low and slow, then shuts off for about 10-15 seconds then starts over again. I have checked for leaks and have found none. I’m thinking new pump, pressure switch? Where is the pressure switch located?
I have a 2008 Classic 30’, water pump is below clothes closet..
Thanks
Bob
goldwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
There could be small leak somewhere in your plumbing system. I hope not.

We had the same thing happen with a high-end water pump shortly after installing it a number of years ago. Turned out it was an internal problem in the pump. Replaced that one with another that stopped working at all within a day. Another high-end pump from another manufacturer had no problems and has worked perfectly ever since. A great relief, because we could stop worrying about a leak.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Whitney , Texas
Thanks Tim, we are departing for Quartzsite this coming Wednesday, I do not have time to deal with it before we head out. I have checked all water lines, fittings, and drain lines and all is dry as fare as I can tell. I will use city water hookup until I get a chance to address it when we get to Quartzsite . I have never been there before but I understand if what you need is not there then it’s not as yet made for the RV.. I’m sure there will be a rep there to consult with, at least I hope so.
Bob
Old 01-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Do you have access to city water? I would hook up, turn water on for an hour or so, and then see if any water is dripping from the AS. Any leaks should reveal themselves in this hour.

Then open up the pump compartment, turn it on for an hour, and look for pump-related leaks.

If no leaks, sounds like a new pump is in order. At least you can turn the pump on and off manually during your trip. Don't leave it on at night, which is what we usually do anyway. Also, always leave pump off while towing.

Have a great trip!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Whitney , Texas
Thanks got your input, we always turn pump off when not in use plus we turn off city water when we are not in coach.. I will check for leaks after we get hooked to City Water.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
One other possibility:
The suction hose between the pump and the FW tank might have a loose fitting, like the threaded connections at the filter and pump, that can be tightened. This could allow air in or out of the pipe. If the air leak is small enough the pump could over come it, it will draw water out of the tank. But this small could also allow air in so that the pump looses its prime when water drains back into the tank, causing the pump to cycle.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Whitney , Texas
Thanks, I will check that..
Old 01-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Try the easy stuff first...

Hi - Had a similar issue with ours. Turned out to just be some air that wasn't purged after filling.

Had the FW tank full, ran the pump, purged the fixtures and things seemed ok, but it wasn't. I connected to the CW put pressure to the system and purged the fixtures again. No more issues when we disconnected and ran totally off the internal system. Must've been air trapped in a mystery pocket somewhere.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Best wishes for a quick fix!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Sounds like the city water pressure cleaned out your pressure switch or check valve. That was a good idea.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote