Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Source for hickory plywood- 2010 Classic

Has anyone found a source for the multi-ply hickory plywood used in the post-2007 cabinetry? I'm thinking I might want some so I can replace the carpeted boxes between the twin beds and the bulkhead with something a little more cabinet-like.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
_

. , .
according to jerry in this thread, it's roettger hardwood, in kettlersville ohio...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ers-69812.html

they'v been the long time sub for the classic interiors in hickory or oak.

a/s does keep some basic finished stock in the factory,

and they've got some in the main service center, depending on what's needed they might be willing to ship via a dealer.

looks like jerry was able to get some finished bits from the source.

a had a half dozen NEW hickory cabinet doors built and picked them up in j/c, about 4 years ago.

they matched perfectly to the existing hickory.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Jammer,

Youngblood Lumber in Northeast Minneapolis carries hickory plywood. Might be worth the drive for you.

Welcome to YOUNGBLOOD Lumber Co.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Jammer,

Youngblood Lumber in Northeast Minneapolis carries hickory plywood. Might be worth the drive for you.

Welcome to YOUNGBLOOD Lumber Co.

Chris
It's worth a trip to Youngblood even if you don't need anything. What a treat!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Started the rehab in Hickory last winter.
FYI the cost of 1/4 Hickory veneer core ply jumped nearly 50% from last year in the Chicago/Milwaukee megopolis. $62 a sheet.
But it looks damn good and machines great so there's no turning back now.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
2air -- does the OEM ply have lighter weight cores we hear about?

Youngblood in Minneapolis is what I've always heard about.

Root River Hardwood in Preston has it too -- Root River Hardwoods, Inc. - Plywood

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
_

. , .
hi bob

having heard that about 'lighter cores' i am still not sure it's true.

most of the interior and cabinet fronts and doors and table are 1x4s? solid stock hickory.

either glued together, or routed down.

some of the ply as a balsa wood core (the sliding doors) with very thin hickory veneers.

some of the ply looks like basic furniture grade (not chip board) ply with a hickory veneers.

the dining table is relatively heavy but the other things are light.

drawer boxes aren't hickory and the cabinet framing isn't either, but quarter round trim and edging is.
_______

i think the main reason to buy from the source is matching FINISH, even on the ply, and board layout.

look at jerry's pics in the first link, those cabinets match perfectly for color and cut and so on...

the satin or gloss and clear color and thickness of the finish is pretty specific.

in fact there is a noticeable difference in thickness and gloss comparing PRE and POST 05 units,

with the later years being MUCH nicer.

even the factory service center doesn't have matching finish for repairs...

they sell cans of EXTERIOR acrylic panel spray (clearcoat) for wood finish repairs...

i got a pretty good match using some minwax wood finish for the thin or wearing areas.

cheers
2air'

almost 2 late to edit here's a link to an old pic of some of the thin veneer hickory used...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...tml#post199648

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
Started the rehab in Hickory last winter.
FYI the cost of 1/4 Hickory veneer core ply jumped nearly 50% from last year in the Chicago/Milwaukee megopolis. $62 a sheet.
But it looks damn good and machines great so there's no turning back now.

Tom.
That sounds like a pretty good price to me. A 4x8 sheet of hickory paper-backed veneer is $56.50 online, no plywood included.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Has anyone found a source for the multi-ply hickory plywood used in the post-2007 cabinetry? I'm thinking I might want some so I can replace the carpeted boxes between the twin beds and the bulkhead with something a little more cabinet-like.

though I'm surprised to not find "hickory" among their listings, Welcome to M.L. Condon Company has always (25+ years) been a top notch supplier for us.

their offerings include marine and aviation grades of product.

nice folks, easy to do business with.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure

On my first trip to JacksonCenter for warranty work on my 2002 ASCL 31' I was talking to another Customer who mentioned that the service facility had a number of trash containers wherein they discarded many unusable finished trim and panel pieces.

Soooooooo, I went dumpster diving (no pride here)! I ended up with 200+ pounds of “Golden Oak” pieces parts. When I got home I was able to finish out some of the factory cosmetic “oversights”. I still have a pile of the stuff in the shed; you never know.

Next time your in Jackson, you might take an inventory of their trash heap as they don’t care if it walks off.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Building a table - need suggestions

I have a '07 Safari 25FB SE. It has the typical "Safari" interior which means pretty much no real wood. I want to build a table like those that come in the Classics. I was under the impresison that these were solid Hickory planks (edge connected) abd that is what I should do.

After reading this thread it appears the table may be Hickory Plywood. Any comments?

Has anybody ever built one of these to replace the rather drab and uninteresting "Plastic" topped and fake oak trimed one? How did you approach the project?

Thanks, Dw
SailAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAS View Post
...I was under the impresison that these were solid Hickory planks...
yes that's correct,

basically 1x3-4s glued side to side 2 form broad flat stock.

then there are screwed n glued cross pieces on the underside at each end...

here's a pic of a replacement for my unit (the end dinette versions are a bit bigger)

Click image for larger version

Name:	hickory table.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	117876

again that is what is used for ALL of the door and drawer fronts and the cabinet faces.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Thanks all, gives me many ideas.

It has been many years since I've been to Youngblood's though quite a treat it is. I build a walnut table years ago before deciding to quit doing any serious woodworking due to the risk of finger and hand injuries. Musicians are uniquely paranoid in that regard.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
Looking for Adventure

1975 29' Ambassador
2020 25' Globetrotter
Social Circle , Georgia
Roettger's Hardwood

High All!
I am currently in Jackson Center and Roettger's Hardware is about 12 miles from the AS factory. They have been supplying AS with all of the hardwood cabinetry for the past 60 years. I went by their facility and ordered a pair of cabinet doors. We have removed the microwave/convection oven and are placing doors there to provide more cabinet space. When I met with the owners of Roettger's they were very receptive to custom making the doors for me. As a matter of fact they are making them and will be installing them on Tuesday of next week. Awesome people to do business with. They are a family owned business and really seem to want to please the customer. If you need any hardwood work done I would encourage you to call them. They will ship the finished product to you if you can't come to pick it up. My doors are 11 x 15 1/4 with the factory Hickory raised panel. Finished and ready to install for $68.00 each They are also finishing me a piece of hickory plywood for the inside bottom of the cabinet.

Here is the contact info:

Renee Roettger
937-693-3742

renee@roettgerhardwood.com

They do all the hardwood cabinetry and the tables.

David
KrazyKelleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Based on the posting, I sent an e-mail this morning to Roettger's. In less than 15 minutes, they called me back!!!! I must have talked with Renee' for 20 minutes or more. These are just awesome people to deal with and provide Customer Service that most folks only dream about. It just doesn't get any better than this

If you have Custom Hardwood needs for your AS, I can highly recommend them....

D
SailAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 classic