Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Solo Bonfire

When I saw the price of a solo stove bonfire at $239 I just about choked. But I like the idea. So hereís a video of my version of the solo stove bonfire which cost me a sum total of six dollars. I got the propane tank from my local gas company for free. Enjoying a great fire on a chilly day here in Northwest Florida.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	333890
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Always like to see the ingenuity of our forum members.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Nice fire pit. How did you incorporate a double wall construction like in the Solo Fire Pit that moves and pre-heats additional combustion air to the top of the unit which creates the more efficient secondary combustion?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I got the Solo stainless model as a gift from my kids last year, along with the cover. It seemed like a great idea and wife was so excited (me, not so much; something else to carry and there are fire pits most places we camp anyway!)- The no smoke or almost no smoke...is not totally accurate; it can/does smoke, depending on wood used and wind situation. We used it October here in Texas at a family campout, and it surely did smoke...the few times I used it earlier, it did not smoke....so I am sure the wood has something to do with it..

But I digress....I recently just bit the bullet and got a propane Firebowl...we love fires, but in the NorthWest and Canada last 4 years, I found myself not able to burn from July thru September due to the forest fires; Took the Solo out last season and only used couple times....so there I was, carrying around lots of wood and a new Solo fire pit that I could not use! I ended up giving to my son here in Texas and I do love the propane Firebowl...never thought I would say that, but I can use it anywhere, it starts right up, no smoke at all, roasts marshmellows or hot dogs, and has nice flame control....my generator is propane also so I can use my AS LP port or I can use a spare 20lb bottle, which I carry... Again, my experience...likely in a lot of states, camp fires are fine in the summer; it's very disappointing not to have a fire...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Nice fire pit. How did you incorporate a double wall construction like in the Solo Fire Pit that moves and pre-heats additional combustion air to the top of the unit which creates the more efficient secondary combustion?

Well this is not a wood gas burner. Thatís another level of difficulty. But as a very easy project that works just great I have to say I am quite happy with the results. I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom for air, put an old Weber grill plate in the bottom to keep the wood above the holes, and I get a nice, hot fire in a short time. I put some legs on the top piece I cut out so I can snuff out the fire when done.

I did see a you tube of a guy who made a wood gas stove using two cook pots of different sizes. Too much engineering for me.

Small and light enough for the truck bed...plus I can carry my kindling and fire starter in the tank.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
The propane fire pits are cheaper to operate when compared to buying wood and your cloths don’t smell like smoke either. I do like wood fires, but abiding by the “don’t transport wood from place to place” got too expensive.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
BEWARE:SOLO STOVE- POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND $$ delivery

i order a solo stove ranger campfire unit

it was suppose to arrive within a week
two weeks later no sign
then we get a notice from UPS ( even though i asked for USPS) they want $137 handling surcharge to deliver it

i refused and told UPS to send it back at their expense

i tried to call SOLO Stove

after 5 calls no answer and no return calls

so i suggest you avoid them
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Maybe it has to do with being in Canada? I ordered and received a solo stove in 3 days no problem.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
i order a solo stove ranger campfire unit

it was suppose to arrive within a week
two weeks later no sign
then we get a notice from UPS ( even though i asked for USPS) they want $137 handling surcharge to deliver it

i refused and told UPS to send it back at their expense

i tried to call SOLO Stove

after 5 calls no answer and no return calls

so i suggest you avoid them
Remember the "no campfire" issues in the summer in many parks up north...we used ours only one season because of fire bans....Solo has limited use, still can produce "smoke" (ours did sometimes)
I ended up giving mine to my kids, (who originally gifted to us for Christmas). they use in their backyard. Now we just use our propane fire pit. All is well!

As for shipment; Amazon....no issues.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 04-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
How is it permitted to have an open flame propane fire pit when a word-burning fire pit is banned?
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Solo Bonfire

Two words: flying sparks and embers from open wood fires.

Propane usually doesnít spread fires unless you really screw up...and generate a rapidly expanding fireball.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
So-Lo So-Far

Got our bonfire last year Amazon Prime to AK during a promotion. Mama loves the snap crackle pop of a wood fire. I don't like the "kippered" feel of the typical smudge pot we used to end up with while boondocking - rarely finding the correct collection of rocks and dry-enough local wood. So far, so good. Not entirely smokeless all the time, but much, much less during start-up and pleasant during middle to end. It seems to tolerate less than perfectly seasoned wood, once it gets going.

My brother showed me his portable fire pit, which we almost duplicated before the Solo: an old stainless top-load washer basket. Lots of air induction!
Old 05-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
How is it permitted to have an open flame propane fire pit when a word-burning fire pit is banned?
Propane doesn't produce sparks nor smoke. Have not run into an issue in any park. Think about the propane BBQ most folks also have with them, or a Coleman camp stove. We have lots of firewood in my place in MT...we typically would load enough for 3-4 nights in the back of my PU....only to bring it all back home. This occurred usually starting in July over the past 3-4 years due to fires up North....US and Canada...
Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #14
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
We have been super happy with our Solo Stove. IMO it works even better than advertised.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote