Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2021, 05:19 PM   #881
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper1946 View Post
We would like to join. Dwayne & marilyn .original owner 28 ft safari ls s/o 75 year anniversary edition.
Dwayne and Marilyn,

Glad to have you folks and a big welcome from the Palmetto State AKA South Carolina and a picture perfect chamber of commerce day here too boot.

Any clue how many miles you've put on your original rig? I bet you've got some tales to tell from years of Slide Out adventures.

Chime in, post a pic leave a been there done that tip but most importantly, welcome to the Slide Out Society.

Now here's what you're waiting for and a drum roll please. Dwayne and Marilyn you are S/OS#117

Our official Data Officer Tom will update the lists and do his thing if he can find the time as a NEWLY RETIRED do nothing!

Welcome and regards,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #882
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Slide-Out Society - S/OS - Member Update

Happy Saturday! (New to me Retired Speak)

Did anyone get the number of that bus backing up over me...LoL! Thanks for all the encouragement Gary! I appreciate you too...work for a place for 40 years and move into a part-time position to change things up and the vultures are right there pecking at ya.

Anyhow on to business!

Dwayne & Marilyn S/OS #117, welcome aboard the Slide-Out Society (S/OS)! We're glad that you found us...not many of us Sliders out there. Very neat to be the original owners of a beautiful 2006 28' Safari S/O.

You guys are located in a beautiful area of Washington State. We made a wonderful adventure filled trip along the west coast many moons ago by car. We'd love to do it again with Dorothy our S/O.

Finally warming up here in the NE...seeing daytime temps in the 50's. Snow is gone and the spring flowers are making an appearance in the gardens. More importantly the daylight is lasting longer each day!

I've updated our member list to include Dwayne & Marilyn S/OS #117 and their 2006 28' Safari S/O.

Great adventures for all!

Tom - S/OS #025
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideSociety.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	548.7 KB
ID:	392469   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideModelNumbers.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	392470  

- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #883
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Happy Saturday! (New to me Retired Speak)

Thanks for all the encouragement Gary! I appreciate you too...work for a place for 40 years and move into a part-time position to change things up and the vultures are right there pecking at ya.

Great adventures for all!

Tom - S/OS #025
Careful there Big Guy or I'll tell Wendy you're bored and looking for Honey Doo's and I'll start HER list for you.

Just think soon you'll be looking for projects like ME and replacing the 11' long 7 way cable which thank you very much is installed and just needs the new ring terminals crimped on.

Now Sliders it's getting nice out so what's on your project list for getting back into the new groove?

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 04-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #884
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari S/O
Ariel , Washington
Are the slide out group planning any get to gathers this summer ?? If so we would like to be include Please reply .Dwayne @ Marilyn 1594 /so117
thumper1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #885
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post

Now Sliders it's getting nice out so what's on your project list for getting back into the new groove?

Gary

It is a long list. Two trips ago (nearly two years) the hose between the fresh tank and the drain valve split. I dumped one tank of water on the road. When I got to the next location I figured that the CRS disease had gotten me. Did I REALLY fill the tank before I left? So I filled it again and immediately saw the water draining out of an access plate under the drain valve. That was a clue. I pulled the hose fitting out of the tank and screwed in a plug. Now I have to do a real repair job.

We lived in the trailer for 2 months while searching for a replacement home after selling ours. Toward the end the vinyl started flaking off of our RecPRo recliners. RecPro sent replacement units - now I have to install them.

After living in it for two months it needs a good cleaning.

Our new home has the potential to put the trailer in the back yard. I have to take some measurements and see if it is possible, with or without a trailer dolly.

Lube the wheel bearings

Lube the ProPride

Try to figure out why the ProPride yoke mount keeps shifting to one side

Lube the tongue jack

Re-work the twin bed platforms to correct the makeshift support for the Sleep Number beds and better seal the gaps between the beds and the storage compartments

Install the SeeLevel tank monitor I bought over a year ago

Seems like with the lack to travel due to Covid I could have found some time to get some of this done......

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #886
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper1946 View Post
Are the slide out group planning any get to gathers this summer ?? If so we would like to be include Please reply .Dwayne @ Marilyn 1594 /so117
Dwayne & Marilyn,

No I do not have Slide Out Society rally plans for this year. 2022 is a whole new year and I really would like to try the same plans that I proposed for 2020. We'll see.

But to all Slide Out Society members.

Anyone that would like to propose and set up a rally, please feel free to do so.

If you're considering this I'll offer a few suggestions.

Select a venue that you have used or have good knowledge of. Minimize the surprises, for all.

I would not make a group reservation that involves any prepayment. Let folks make their own reservations.

Share your favorites about the camp or area and just enjoy.

The forum has a calendar and setting up a rally gets visibility and start a thread in the Rally Zone.

Gary
Old 04-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #887
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Al offered up his chore list on his rig, here's most of mine.

I got a YouTube degree in gas appliances from the My RV Works series of videos. That resulted in a close inspection of the mostly gas function of each. Cleaning and inspection. I even pulled the furnace apart and found where that maligned sail switch is.

My Classic steps felt a bit less that reassuring so looking into that the hook for the slide lock lever arm didn't have as much to "hook" on as it used to. That lead to a lot of custom fitting of full length steel sister plates to recreate the stout hook that it needs. Now it's quite strong feeling under foot. All hand tools to cut the steel plate. Lot's of filing and fitting. Worth it.

Oh Pooh! I felt it was time to R&R both tank valves. Cutting a full access panel in the pan, nasty job but a must to keep from dropping the tank pan etc. Works just fine thank you.

Last outing air temps a bit chilly and the 7 way cable was unnecessarily stiff I just didn't like how it felt. It's only 7 wires how bad can it be?

First was finding all 7 wires under the couch cause the factor cut the black outer jacket off right where the cable routs into the floor and wire a good sized bundle of other similar wires. OK fast forward, found em.

The old cable was a bit of a stinker to pull out of the frame rails. Some dielectric grease on the frame grommets made a big difference in getting it to pull back thru.

It took an 11' long cable with a new molded flat blade plug. Not a Bargman!

It's in and looks real nice.

Next time it's on the driveway raise it up and do a wheel tilt/rock test on the Nev-R-Lube bearings. A recent thread and me tinkering on my bench and I've almost got my been there done that T-Shirt on Nev-R-Lube R&R. Easier than it looks but special tools req'd.

Need to get back on the road.

Safe travels,

Gary
Old 04-24-2021, 08:04 PM   #888

2006 30' Classic S/O
Mercer Island , Washington
Hello!

Hi All,
We found our 2006 Classic 30-SO last year and we're busy getting ready for our second season of camping. I'm thrilled to join and follow this thread and glad to be making some Slide Out Society friends!
Mike
carefreehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:24 AM   #889
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mike,

Welcome to the Slide Out Society and congrats on owning/adopting an Airstream Slide Out. I had to check the map cause the only Mercer anywhere that I knew was Mercer PA but you way up there with Seattle as a neighbor sorta.

If you're a new to RV trailering or just a bit new to an Airstream etc. bring on the questions.

We've had two rallies in NC and had one scheduled for PA last year but things took a turn. Hope to organize one for 2022.

And now for the official stuff. Mike, AKA carefreehwy you are Slide Out Society member No. is S/OS#118

Safe travels and please bring on any questions to fellow Sliders and the entire Airforum community.

Regards from a soggy SC.

Gary
Old 04-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #890

2009 34' SO Classic
Spicewood , Texas
Hello from Texas!

Howdy y’all!

We are Suzanne and Nic Zucca and we send our greetings from the Lone Star state.

We bought our 2009 Classic Limited S/O less than a year ago and we are loving every minute of full-time Airstreaming.

We have learned a lot in our first year, and I am sure there is much more wisdom that we can glean from this group! We are excited to join!

~Suzanne
SuzanneZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:16 PM   #891
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneZ View Post
Howdy y’all!

We are Suzanne and Nic Zucca and we send our greetings from the Lone Star state.

~Suzanne
Suzanne and Nic,

From the Palmetto State to the Lone Star state, you say howdy, folks here say hey!

Tomato Tomatto

The last of the line a 2009 34' S/O everything's bigger in Texas.

Uh you might get into a Texas contest with the famous Ande n Lynne or is it Lynne n Ande yeah that's better. Also S/O owners from at least your state, maybe not your neighborhood.

You folks new to RV'ing or seasoned and just getting an AS?

It's all good.

Make sure if you have a question about the rig, bring it here. Someone might have the T shirt and save you a Band Aid or vicea versa.

OK the drum roll please, Suzanne and Nic, you're number is S/OS#119 that's two new members in one day yee haw!

Glad you found us, enjoy and please if you need, ask away.

Oh boy, just noticed you're a doable drive from The Salt Lick BBQ!

Gary

OK Tom retired or not you got to update the list. Wendy, Tom isn't keeping up the list, get on him.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:02 PM   #892
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Slide-Out Society - S/OS - Member Update

Happy Saturday! Oh, it's Sunday...lost track of time there...LOL!

Thanks again Gary for all the encouragement for our new Sliders and our updates! We do appreciate you!

From the "Granite State" of New Hampshire where the motto on our license plate says "Live Free or Die" to the great states of Washington and Texas...Welcome Aboard!

We're so happy that you're able to join our mighty little group of Sliders! With only 617 built...we've accounted for almost 120 12 years after the last models were built. Woo hoooo!

S/OS #118 carefreehwy Mike from WA 2006 Classic 30'
S/OS #119 SuzanneZ Suzanne & Nic from TX 2009 Classic 34"

Gary, I've updated our member lists so everyone can see where we're at!

Wishing you both the best for Great Adventures with your Slides!

Tom - S/OS #025
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SlideSociety.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	561.6 KB
ID:	394143   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideModelNumbers.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	394144  

- Live Free or Die -
Old 04-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #893

2009 34' SO Classic
Spicewood , Texas
Thankful Newbies!

[QUOTE=GCinSC2;2487362]Suzanne and Nic,

You folks new to RV'ing or seasoned and just getting an AS?

Oh boy, just noticed you're a doable drive from The Salt Lick BBQ!

Gary

Hey Gary!

Yes we are newbies!

I grew up camping in Alaska but in a pop-up trailer: not the best in bear country, and I have a story or two to prove it!

Nic and I just scrimped and saved and watched ALL the AS videos, and we are still pinching ourselves to see if this is a dream.

He is an amazing mechanic, but yes, we will definitely need help along the way. There is a big learning curve. But we are adjusting well so far.

And yes, it is a short drive from our place to the Salt Lick, well worth it! If y’all or anyone in the S/OS are out this way, please give us a shout and we will meet up!

~Suzanne and Nic, S/OS #119
SuzanneZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:47 AM   #894
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Suzanne and Nic,

Pardon if this is old hat but a few points to ponder.

Get to know your gas appliances. Many threads involve fairly simple problems that are solved with minor cleaning or TLC. Can really save an outing.

You have the biggest baddest brakes. Ever period slam dunk. But lack of occasional how’s my brakes doing insp can really spoil the day.

You have “different” wheel bearings from older trailers. Not to worry but service and inspection procedures are akin to more common front wheel drive cars and front hubs on pick ups. No more pull the drum pop the seal and repack.

I can offer many service details for this Nev-R-Lube bearing and later on I’ll publish a how to R&R these pressed in cartridge bearings.

And for those that are wondering what’s a Salt Lick https://saltlickbbq.com/

Gary
Old 04-28-2021, 07:07 AM   #895
Member Slide Out Society

2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
Bearings!

"I can offer many service details for this Nev-R-Lube bearing and later on I’ll publish a how to R&R these pressed in cartridge bearings."

Hey Gary,
we are planning a long trip with our sliders this summer and one of our Caravan participants (non-slider) has the Nev-R-Lube bearings and is concerned about how to service these wheel bearings if trouble on the road. Can you post your "how to" so we/he can be prepared just in case?
Thanks
Rockwell
S/O #012
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:28 AM   #896
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Rockwell,

I'm still preparing the bearing how to R&R procedure. Actually in the middle of figuring out the Timken part number massive rabbit hole.

This Dexter pdf http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/fil...20Bearings.pdf shows an overview of them and how to do a simple bearing End Play inspection. The end play and rotation of the wheel gives you a important inspection check.

If someone wanted to be prepared to pull a Nev-R-Lube drum or disc brake hub (like mine) you need a small snap ring pliers, 1 7/16" X 1/2" drive socket, a stout 1/2" drive breaker bar and an old used screwdriver to pop the cap off. Then you can at least take the drum or hub to a shop for bearing replacement. And I just got a used Nev-R-Lube drum brake that I'll show same R&R with later.

A DIY'er or shop has two choices, hydraulic press or a screw type bearing press kit. I bought mine, screw type yesterday.

You now need a robust snap ring pliers to remove a 3" snap ring. And then it's press time.

This video shows Eric working on a PT Cruiser replacing the same bearing type and using a screw press tool. In his case the big advantage is fewer parts to remove. But for our drums and hubs this will be a bench task.

The part showing the tool starts at 5:25 IGNORE the previous it's just showing how he gets to removal. The tool procedure ends at about 9:15 or so.

Eric O's South Main Auto channel has over 172M views.

Gary

Old 04-29-2021, 06:28 AM   #897
Member Slide Out Society

2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
Never Lube Bearings

Gary,
Thank you so much for the information. I'll pass the info along to our fellow traveler so that we can at least be prepared with proper tools and knowledge of "how-to" should we run into those issues on our trip. Thank you, too for taking the time to post videos and parts info..and hope you and other sliders get to venture out into this great land of ours..
Rockwell
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #898
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario

Name:	IMG_8911.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	395411

Name:	IMG_8908.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	395412

Name:	IMG_8910.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	395413

Name:	IMG_8914.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	395414OK now I'm really getting bored up here! Our "stay home order" has been extended to June 2nd!! So I decided to give her a wash and get rid of some dirt and sticky pollen that was starting to build up. I had ordered a FOAM CANNON from Amazon and gave her a whirl. Well I never before saw a 34 foot A/S disappear but it did just that in the foam. Bottom line was it was a Blast and it worked without harming the waxed surface. Here are a couple of shots of it after the foaming. I didn't get any with the foam going on as it's a lot to hold on without a cameras!
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:58 PM   #899
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Giving her a bath...

White Laker,

LoL...gave me a laugh after a day of pushing dirt around the shed in the back yard! Looks great...beautiful day there too!

Next weekend will be our first adventure out this year...this coming week will be prep for the trip. Nothing long, just a local jaunt here in New Hampshire with a few other camping friends.

Thanks for the laugh!

Tom - S/OS #025
- Live Free or Die -
Old 05-14-2021, 05:00 AM   #900
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Pete,

All cleaned up and looking real nice and ready for a way to get dirty again. Hope you can get out real soon and enjoy.

Sliders,

We don't go off grid only a couple times so far but it lead to a quick course in yup them batteries ain't quite what you think they are.

NO NOT looking for major changes to my12V resources but I did get intrigued about the BMV-712 monitor. Idea was to see when it's really time to fire hu the Honda 3000 and fill 'er up a bit. That front power connection is real nice if you're leaving the gen in the open truck bed and just run the cable. Install not bad other than crawling thru the 12V jungle under the sofa and in the "Power Center" area.

Here's a shot of the monitor and a bit of tidying up and wondering why does that cable go all the way from there to here when I can make is shorter going this a way etc. The BMV shunt is the gold color thing at the top left on the side wall of the power center box.

The monitor you see mounted in a custom mount by S/OS#001 is not the primary readout, that's on my darn phone. But it monitors how many amp hours out vs in etc and actual right now amp draw. And a bunch more, I think. And that blower motor is a bit of a hog 9 amps alone.

Anyway, works and learning about it.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMV-712.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	395457