Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #821

2005 30' Classic S/O
London , Ontario
Hi all of you smart slide-out society members. Since I’m a recent member of your group, I have two questions:
First is that for the life of me, I cannot find the “ new thread” button somy apologies for attaching onto this thread.
My second and main question is that I need help in locating my black tank wash out valve and vacuum breaker. At the end of this summer season I connect my hose to the black tank flush and only resulted in having water drain out from somewhere under the underside pan. I presume that I have to replace it but do not know where it is located or how to chess it. Any thoughts. Not an urgent matter but something I’d like to tackle in the spring. Big Tuna’s currently in her winter cocoon.
Oh, and Welcome aboard Pennypearson to a very friendly group of sliders.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #822
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I’m on the road limited access. I just did my valves and saw the line for flush. Service might be best to cut access panel in pan that includes valve access for future service.

Back flow look under bath sink two pipes and back flow should be visible.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #823

2005 30' Classic S/O
London , Ontario
Thanks GC,
I’ll look for the flush line under the sink and follow it. I like the idea of cutting an access panel for future servicing.
Thanks for the reply!
Gary
Old 12-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #824
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Hi all, #88 here
Our 34 slide is all tucked away in a really nice heated warehouse for the winter. We went over to get our slider fix this week. I had pulled the batteries so we brought a couple of night lights along and just sat inside and took it all in. I really just wanted to run the slide out and back just to feel normal as we sat on the front couch. We are dealing with all the Covid crap but above all else we miss our slider. I ask you.... are we O.K.? You never know what you have until you don't. Bring on 2021 please. Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:47 PM   #825
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
Hi all, #88 here
Our 34 slide is all tucked away in a really nice heated warehouse for the winter. We went over to get our slider fix this week. I had pulled the batteries so we brought a couple of night lights along and just sat inside and took it all in. I really just wanted to run the slide out and back just to feel normal as we sat on the front couch. We are dealing with all the Covid crap but above all else we miss our slider. I ask you.... are we O.K.? You never know what you have until you don't. Bring on 2021 please. Pete
You're fine. We had ours at our winter house in Texas, had a 30amp plug installed, and every so often the wife and I would go spend the night in our slider because we missed it so much. We removed the couch and installed 2 recliners, also replaced the carpet with oak floors. Ours is a 2002 30' Classic and it is a jewel. Addiction is hell. Lol.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #826
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Pete,

Yup 2020 is a bummer.

Quite by accident when we bought our house in SC it had a bigger backyard than I realized and didn't own the AS yet.

Fast forward about 9 yrs and my backyard Camp Hickory has a double wide carport, 15A, good size firepit, heavy tree cover, no neighbors even know we're in camp and that allows us to have a backyard get away. Makes getting a "fix" just a let's do it proposition. And the g-kids enjoy the campfire evenings.

Thanks for checking in and sharing.

Best wishes to all for a MUCH better 2021.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 12-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #827
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Hi again fellow slide-a-thons...
As I sit hear thinking about what to do to my rig , other wash and wax, I'm thinking that it may be time to have a real good look at my slide seals. The large 'knife' seal that runs around the body of the trailer looks real good and soft but the "D" shaped seals on the inside and out side of the slide itself may need replacing. I have looked at the Trim Lock site and they have lots of seals that look similar. Has anyone contacted Trim lock to see if they know the direct replacement product for these seals? I want to be sure that I get the correct size and correct material for the replacement seals. As usual, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete
S/OS#88
Old 12-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #828
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Pete,

Trim Lock, I have a 6" sample of X2828HT that they sent me upon request for the D compression seal on my 2007 slide. I have not ordered or replaced it. I cut a section of my old D seal off at the bottom and it while compressed and a bit out of shape the X2828HT compared very favorably with the sample I cut. Not sure right now but the tape has options for type, check with catalog.

Gary
Old 12-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #829
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
1983 31' Excella
1976 29' Ambassador
Spruce grove , Alberta
Interesting subject in the seals. I need the large wiper seal as my D shaped seals are quite good. I believe they were replaced at some point in the last 10 years (2001 MY) as they’re quite supple and have no obvious surface blemishes. The wiper seal was compromised by becoming detached and then It was squished. Someone tried to fix it with that snot like 3m weatherstrip adhesive but it didn’t work very well. The seal was cut near the crimped portion of the seal where it mounts to the body allowing water to get in and corrode the metal that the seal is formed around. It would be great to find out who the original vendor of these seals were. They could have been off the shelf designs vs airstream specific designs.
WW2GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #830
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
I found the AS number but no source on a quick search.

Suggest calling Trim Lok at 888-874-6565, info@trimlok.com www.trimlok.com they are in CA. They show some RV wipers but not sure about our wiper seal. Possibly contact AS and if it's avail thru AS ask or if not, who was the vendor.

Please share what you find out.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:53 AM   #831
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I found the AS number but no source on a quick search.

Suggest calling Trim Lok at 888-874-6565, info@trimlok.com www.trimlok.com they are in CA. They show some RV wipers but not sure about our wiper seal. Possibly contact AS and if it's avail thru AS ask or if not, who was the vendor.

Please share what you find out.
I make it a point to apply silicone spray on both sides of the rubber wipes on the slide. For being 20 years old, they still look pretty good.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:23 PM   #832
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
2003 Classic 30 Slide

Hi everyone!

My wife and I bought our ‘03 30ft classic slide (Mary Frances, after my wife’s grandmother) last august and have been full time traveling since. Currently having a slide issue which is what brought me to the forum looking for some help but figured I’d joking the slider society while I’m here!

We are from Denver, been all over the north east last fall, down through Florida this winter, currently in Louisiana working our way back out west.

We’ve done some work since buying her, repainted all the cabinets, replaced hardware, added 3kw inverter, 340ah lithium, added 330w solar (upgrading to 660w shortly), planning to re upholster sofa and dinette as soon as we can find a place to do it, hopefully replace the carpet with something else. Just need to find the time, it’s a lot harder to do when living in it! Haha

Anyways, we love our Mary Frances and look forward to running in to fellow sliders out on the road.
rmcgillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:08 AM   #833
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Slide-Out Society

Hi rmcgillis!

Welcome to the forums...and welcome to our little Slide-Out Society (S/OS)!

Sounds like you guys have been busy with Mary Frances! Good for you on the adventures! There's a bunch of folks in the group that have done some pretty extensive work on their rigs in a lot of different areas. Share what your issue consists of and someone has probably already dealt with it.

Gary S/OS #001 will soon slide on in and make it official with a S/OS #. Talking with him yesterday he was up to his elbows in a drive-shaft project, but everyday is a Saturday for him...

I'm glad you found us! Share the issue your having so we can offer suggestions to resolve things.

Best!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:17 AM   #834
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcgillis View Post
Hi everyone!

My wife and I bought our ‘03 30ft classic slide (Mary Frances, after my wife’s grandmother) last august and have been full time traveling since. Currently having a slide issue which is what brought me to the forum looking for some help but figured I’d joking the slider society while I’m here!
Anyways, we love our Mary Frances and look forward to running in to fellow sliders out on the road.
rmcgillis,

Greetings from soggy SC, but we don't have to shovel this like Tom Stremn is gonna start doing later.

Anyway yup slides are good fun and catch a stare even from other AS owners. Make sure to hit the S/OS team with any slide questions I see you might have a Q for the team, bring it on somebody might know something.

So membership time. Well, we're having a special on joining this year. Why not.

rmcgillis you folks are S/OS#114

Travel safe, enjoy and if you can post a pic all the better.

Regards,

Gary
Old 02-01-2021, 05:56 AM   #835
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
Welcome to SOS! A nice group of people and a wealth of information about our “special” AS��. We fulltimed in our ‘06 Classic for 2+ years. Was a grand adventure and we travelled everywhere. We’ve set up housekeeping in Florida for our pandemic place to relax. Cannot wait to be on the road again! Drive safely, I just read about a bit of Weather you may be seeing if you head to much farther north. Tschupps
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #836
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Well at the moment my slide isn’t going out. It just clicks after unlocking it, tried locking and unlocking a few times, that seems to work occasionally, no luck this time. Leveled and re-leveled the trailer since it seems to be really picky about that, no luck there.

I’m thinking I may have a bit of an alignment issue and needs to be adjusted. The top left is closer than the right by a decent amount. I’ve got the mechanical skills of a toddler (never stops me from trying though) but since I can’t get the slide out I’m not sure how to adjust it? I’m trying to track down a mechanic that can come help, I figure they know what to do.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #837
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Hi and welcome to the group!
Clicking is never a good noise but it could indicate that you are getting power to the locks, and that's a good thing. If the locks retract then the next thing that i would look at would be the little micro switches that are located inside the 'lock' compartments. One of mine failed and after I had the locks opened.... nothing moved. To access the switched just remove the carpeted covers that cover them in the dinette. Next remove the screws on the back of the box and the switches are there and easy to get to. The one that failed on my rig was the switch in the forward box. If the rubber seal is done, water will leak past and collect in the box and the forward switch sits in the bottom corner of the box.... in the water. You can trick the switch my manually opening and closing in through a few cycles. If the click is also associated with the slide 'jumping a bit' then its time to pull the access plate of of the bottom and see what's going om under the floor. If you get to that point drop us a line and you will access more info. Hope this helps. Best of luck. Slide on!
S/OS#88
Old 02-01-2021, 11:24 AM   #838
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Actually I've never had this problem but here's a quick data point.

Do you have anything you can read trailer DC volts with?

While reading DC volts try to extend slide. If voltage drops think something is jammed, no change in DC voltage value, something is not getting power. That's where the schematic comes out and we start chasing.

There are several good electric guy sliders here, Tom Stremn dabbles, Al and Missy has made sparks in his career, and I bet Dave See More might have some insight.

If I missed anyone, it's cause I just don't know, not a slighting issue.

Gary
Old 02-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #839
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
Hi and welcome to the group!
Clicking is never a good noise but it could indicate that you are getting power to the locks, and that's a good thing. If the locks retract then the next thing that i would look at would be the little micro switches that are located inside the 'lock' compartments. One of mine failed and after I had the locks opened.... nothing moved. To access the switched just remove the carpeted covers that cover them in the dinette. Next remove the screws on the back of the box and the switches are there and easy to get to. The one that failed on my rig was the switch in the forward box. If the rubber seal is done, water will leak past and collect in the box and the forward switch sits in the bottom corner of the box.... in the water. You can trick the switch my manually opening and closing in through a few cycles. If the click is also associated with the slide 'jumping a bit' then its time to pull the access plate of of the bottom and see what's going om under the floor. If you get to that point drop us a line and you will access more info. Hope this helps. Best of luck. Slide on!
Yep, the switches broke, looks like both of them somehow. Not exactly sure what happened but both of them were crushed, once removed and wired “closed” it slid right out. So now just tracking down the switches and should be good to go again. Slide on! Thanks for the help!
Old 02-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #840
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Pete,

Nice catch. Looks like the part number and a pic are good candidates for sharing.

rmcgillis,

Any chance for a pic of your lock arm? I don't know for sure but does yours have the wood / magnetic blocks the are clamped and push against the wall?

Gary