Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm out on a weekend trip and took a shower today and darn it if the shower still has a small leak. I took the shower door threshold and recalled it and checked other seams. Will test again tomorrow morning.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Still leaking after taking morning showers. I'm not sure where the leak is occurring. I removed the furnace vent on the front bedroom wall and from that hole I was able to see the shower drain. No leaking apparent from the shower drain and if there the water would not be able to drip onto the floor under the shower and run out to the hall way.

I took the wardrobe access panel behind the shower faucet and while the water was running I verified no leakage behind the faucet.

I have a moisture meter and testing the floor at the wardrobe next to the shower indicated no sign of moisture. As soon as I moved the meter probes along the floor below the shower door the meter started to register moisture. As I moved the meter along the base of the shower towards the bedroom and the carpet the moisture reading increased. I moved the meter around the shower corner on to the carpet. At the shower corner where the carpet and linoleum meet the moisture meter had its highest reading. Testing the carpet along the shower wall and bedroom carpet the meter measured drier conditions moving towards the trailer wall. So it appears water is getting behind the shower enclosure somehow through the shower door and wicking down on the inside shower wall to the floor behind the shower frame then weeping out to the hallway. Before I made the first repairs the water would run into the hallway. Now unless you are looking for it the water stays under the shower wood framework. If I place a paper towel along the base of the shower on the floor the towel wicks up the water from underneath to wood framework.

I'll let it dry out for the week and next weekend I'll retry the repair. I'll run the shower on the lower shower door area first on the wardrobe side when the door closes and then on the hinge area. Hopefully I can narrow down the area where the leak is and complete the repair successfully.

I wouldn't have thought this repair would be so difficult.

Kelvin
Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kelvin, if you have the shower wall sealed well, could the leak be from the plumbing behind the shower wall. There should be an access somewhere to look inside.

And I gotta ask, is the water dripping onto the floor from the inside of the shower door when you open it?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Also, you said there was a "new" sticker on the shower wall. Could that be a replacement shower, poorly installed? The plumbing fittings may not be sealed properly.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Enumclaw , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyang11 View Post
We fixed our by putting a shower curtain inside. It keeps the water from dripping when you open the door after the shower.
We did the same thing with our 2011 28' CCD that was leaking around the door. Problem solved~~
day tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
While my wife was taking a shower I had the faucet access panel off and no leaks or evidence of leaks. No evidence of leaks from the drain if you pull the furnace vent off. You can see the shower drain and P trap. While she was taking a shower I put a paper towel down on the floor and can see water wick from under the wood.

The initial repair dramatically reduced the leaking so now its just a trickle but its getting under the wood frame and will eventually will mold and rot.

Im afraid removing the door frame and plastic flashing will be a lot more difficult because of the extra caulking I've used.

The exterior wall in the bedroom seems to be only attached by a few screws under plastic caps. Has anyone removed it to expose the shower stall from the bedroom? With it removed you could easily see where the leak is coming from.

Kelvin
Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
You haven't mentioned it and I wonder if yours might be missing.... Mine has a clear vinyl wiper that is attached to the threshold and contacts the bottom of the closed door. It appears to direct drips from the door to the inside of the threshold and presumably away from the junction of the threshold and the vertical door frame. It might be worthwhile to inspect how the towel bar is attached in the shower since it is in the area that could possibly leak down to where you're noticing the water.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Silver Goose mentioned the little clear plastic strip.
That could very well be part of the problem. When you close the door look at the strip while outside of the shower and see if it is clearing the threshold and not getting stuck, which would direct the water toward the outside.
My threshold was set too high.
The solution was to remove the threshold and clean all old caulking and then reseat it in some caulk and just screw in the threshold screws only enough to keep the clear plastic strip on the door from getting caught on it when the door is closing.
Once I did that, all is good again.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The clear plastic strip on my shower is in contact with the door from the left side where the door opens up to the last couple of inches near the hinge side of the door where there is a slight gap. Guess that means the door is not plumb. The strip does engage the door so its upper edge is on the outside of the door so water would run down off the door and back into the shower. The plastic strip is soft and flexible and I made sure it was pushed up against the hinge frame and I ran a bead of clear silicone caulk to stick it to the shower frame. Its the hinge frame that seems to get the most water contact.

After I showered and noticed the slight leaking I dried up the joint between the shower wood frame and door with paper towels. Its able to wick the water from under the shower wood frame even if you don't see water on the adjacent floor. Then I reapplied some clear caulking around the hinge corner inside plastic flash. It's warped there where the screws with plastic caps are located so I thought maybe I missed something since its hard to see in that corner. I also removed the threshold strip and applied more clear caulking between the plastic flash that covers the edge of the fiberglass floor pan and wood frame, there are no gaps, and to the bottom of the metal threshold. Applied a lttlle caulk to the screw threads too. I used my small shop vac I carry and ran it along the shower door frame and floor/carpet.

About 1/2 hour the wife wanted a shower. While she showered no water was was coming out over or around the clear plastic strip and running down the front of the shower. However, when I put paper towels on the floor/show wood wall it started to soak up water again from about along the whole bottom. Somehow water is getting around the metal shower frame, under the plastic flashing between the shower stall and dripping onto the floor under the shower pan and running along the wood shower frame. Remember from my initial repair i filled the gap between the shower stall and wood frame with spray in foam which is supposed to be waterproof.

I will check the towel rack this weekend but I'm not getting any moisture readings around the area where the furnace vent is located which is under one of the towel rack connection points. I'll check the one closed to the the door.

I just need to leave it alone and give if a few more days to dry out. I'll use my dry vac to suck along the shower frame and floor/carpet intersection then I'll take moisture readings from my meter. Then I'll run the show faucet directly onto the each lower corner of the shower and see if paper towels wick any water from under the shower frame. Probably start at the left side where the door opens. I'll spray water from a few inches above pointing down. If I don't get any leakage then I know the leak is coming from higher up on the sides running down the flashing or door frame and getting underneath.

I'm thinking of getting a roll of butyl tape and applying some on the door from so it covers the wood frame and the plastic flashing then installing the shower frame. Its going to be hard to remove the plastic flashing due the previous repair's extra caulking.

Kelivn
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mine also had a gap on on end. I removed the "swiper frame" from the lower horizontal wood frame and built up the low side until parallel with the bottom of the door. sealed the swiper frame well at the ends and across the inside horizontal edge.
No more leaking. This is a common instal issue, IMO. Also , sealing the clear swiper at the ends...to the side frame will help.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Mine was a clear vinyl gutter mounted with down slope toward handle side of door, took off and raised the gutter to drip at the hinge side so that an open door puts it over the shower pan instead of in the aisle.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Mine was a clear vinyl gutter mounted with down slope toward handle side of door, took off and raised the gutter to drip at the hinge side so that an open door puts it over the shower pan instead of in the aisle.
Forgot, the real leak was in the closet under the plastic cover, shower handle water connection needed tightening.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 classic