Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Reeds Spring , Missouri
Question about 27FB Options

In looking for an Airstream, we've been perusing the archived classifieds to get ideas about what is available, even if not currently for sale. One trailer stood out. It was a 2008 27FB (Classic) without the front panoramic window. Where the corner windows would have been, there were small closets beside the bed. Is this an option for 27FB trailers? Or was this just an option for the 27FB Classic?

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...27-new-mexico/
Connie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Connie,

Welcome to the forums. There are a lot of nice people here with a wealth of knowledge in all things Airstream.

Take a look at airstream.com to see the latest in floor plans. They do not make a 27 classic any longer and none of the 27s show the wardrobe on either side of the bed. They do offer this option in the 28 and 30 foot models.

We have a 25FB and spend almost no time looking out the windows in the bedroom. Having the wardrobe would be a plus in my opinion.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've seen a couple Classic 27's with this arrangement, I think it was the early models. Some people like the small shirt closets and the darker bedroom, we like the way the panos front and rear open up the Airstream to the outdoors. No blind corners, it makes our Airstream feel spacious and bright.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Looking at the document archive for the 2008 Classic

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...7e1ebd9dac.pdf

There are three bedrooms options, the queen with nightstands, twin beds and queen with wardrobes. I had never seen one with the wardrobes (like the current 28 queen). The wardrobe surround seems like a rarer model as most I've seen are the queen with night stands.

It would be interesting what the tongue weight is for this model.

We have a 2008 Classic 25fb queen with the pano windows in the front bedroom. We never have the windows open or the currents drawn so the windows are no benefit to us. The more windows the more possible leak points.

Kelvin
Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The bedside wardrobes were an option in the 27FB from 2007 through 2010, available in the Classic, International and Safari lines. Although the floorplan doesn't show up in the 2007 International brochure, a quick look through Colonial Airstream's "sold archives" shows that they ordered several that year.

Unfortunately, a look through Colonial's archives show that they only ordered a few Classic and Safari trailers with the bedside wardrobes. They may have ordered additional ones for customers who specially ordered their Airstreams.

Those wardrobes are a huge bonus, and one of the two main reasons why last year my husband and I decided to change our plans at the last minute and order a 28 instead of a 27FB. Separate closets do much to preserve the harmony in one's relationship.

At the moment, the bedside wardrobes are only available in the International and Flying Cloud 28 and 30, plus the Flying Cloud 30 bunkhouse. Each floorplan has its advantages and disadvantages when compared to others, but at the end of the day they are generally very thoughtfully designed and make the most of their available space.

You might be in for a very long wait if you are looking for a used Airstream with that option. If you are planning to order a new one, you can always have your dealer ask if the factory will agree to the change. They will go for some changes, although most I'm aware of (including our own Airstream), were minor. However, you should be aware that such changes tend come with a fairly high upcharge plus a change fee. If you ask, don't be surprised if your request is declined. If enough people want that change, the factory may very well consider offering it as a standard option again in the future. After all, they finally got wise to the fact that many people who prefer the look of the International interiors want the twin bed option and started offering it as an option for the new model year without a huge upcharge!
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
31' classic rear bed, small window with closet on both sides with overhead , we store most of our traveling clothes there, we like it...makes for more storage.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . our '10 FC28 had no panoramic window in the BR & did have those closets on either side of the bed. . . I liked that arrangement . Our new 27FB (nee : Pendleton) has pano windows & no closets beside bed, just low nightstand like cabinet. Haven't used the new one enough yet to know if it's a big deal or no. . . regards, Craig
Old 08-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We love our bedside wardrobes on our 28' 2009 International Ocean Breeze. We like the more cozy and private feeling in the bedroom, we love the in-bedroom clothes storage, and when we do camp in a place with a view out the rear, we put their cushions against the dudes if the wardrobes and can sit facing each other and looking at the view. Plenty if windows if we're sitting forward and looking thru the coach at the rear view.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM View Post
The bedside wardrobes were an option in the 27FB from 2007 through 2010, available in the Classic, International and Safari lines. Although the floorplan doesn't show up in the 2007 International brochure, a quick look through Colonial Airstream's "sold archives" shows that they ordered several that year.

Unfortunately, a look through Colonial's archives show that they only ordered a few Classic and Safari trailers with the bedside wardrobes. They may have ordered additional ones for customers who specially ordered their Airstreams.

Those wardrobes are a huge bonus, and one of the two main reasons why last year my husband and I decided to change our plans at the last minute and order a 28 instead of a 27FB. Separate closets do much to preserve the harmony in one's relationship.

At the moment, the bedside wardrobes are only available in the International and Flying Cloud 28 and 30, plus the Flying Cloud 30 bunkhouse. Each floorplan has its advantages and disadvantages when compared to others, but at the end of the day they are generally very thoughtfully designed and make the most of their available space.

You might be in for a very long wait if you are looking for a used Airstream with that option. If you are planning to order a new one, you can always have your dealer ask if the factory will agree to the change. They will go for some changes, although most I'm aware of (including our own Airstream), were minor. However, you should be aware that such changes tend come with a fairly high upcharge plus a change fee. If you ask, don't be surprised if your request is declined. If enough people want that change, the factory may very well consider offering it as a standard option again in the future. After all, they finally got wise to the fact that many people who prefer the look of the International interiors want the twin bed option and started offering it as an option for the new model year without a huge upcharge!
We have a 2008 Safari SE 27FB with the wardrobes on either side of the bed. We love the extra storage space and we have discovered the bedroom is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer due to the lack of the panoramic windows. We never open the the blind on the window at the head of the bed. The two other windows in the bedroom provide nice cross ventilation, particularly when paired with the Fantastic Fan.

It seems there was a dealer bias against the 27FB floor plan with the wardrobes and center window. The bias was due to the outside appearance of the trailer when viewed from the front. Unfortunately the bias by the dealer was strong enough to convince Airstream to stop offering this option.

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Reeds Spring , Missouri
Thank you for the welcome and the information. We will continue the hunt, but now with more knowledge.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It wasn't just the dealers, we wouldn't have got our new Airstream without the panos front and rear. We like the corner windows very much.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:35 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It wasn't just the dealers, we wouldn't have got our new Airstream without the panos front and rear. We like the corner windows very much.
Doug,

Since you have a 25 rear bedroom, I can certainly understand your desire to have an expansive view out the rear of your trailer, but the OP was asking about a 27 front bedroom. As owners of a 27FB, we were willing to sacrifice a panoramic view of the campground road and the rear of our tow vehicle for additional storage space and less temperature extremes in the bedroom. We most often camp in spots where the best view is from the rear of the trailer where we have wonderful panoramic windows.

Susan
Old 08-24-2016, 06:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No Sunnygirl, we like the expansive view out both front and rear of our Airstream afforded by the panoramic windows. And we like the living room in the front and the bedroom in the back where it should be.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
No Sunnygirl, we like the expansive view out both front and rear of our Airstream afforded by the panoramic windows. And we like the living room in the front and the bedroom in the back where it should be.
Doug,

I'm glad you like your floor plan. I like mine too. Hence the reason for choices. The debate, FB vs. RB, has been discussed here many times and opinions are strong for both sides.

Demand for the 25 and 27 front bedroom models has been very strong since they were introduced in 2006 and 2007. During Airstream's presentation by their vice president of sales at the WBCCI International rally this year, he stated the 25FB is their second most popular trailer (ranked by unit sales). The new Classic is their top seller. The 27FB was third in popularity. Lots of folks must be satisfied with having the bedroom up front.

Susan
Old 08-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Greenacres , Washington
Hi Connie,

Did you receive the private message I sent to you on the forum?

John
vhaalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Reeds Spring , Missouri
vhaalen,
Sorry, but this forum won't let me reply to your PM because I have not achieved "trusted" status. Don't know how to become "trusted", and could not find an email address for you. Not willing to give up first born just to communicate via the internet.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
San Diego , California
We have a 27FB (Classic) with bedroom wardrobes. 2009. Will be putting it up for sale in a couple of months. Presently in the process of buying 2017 Interstate.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Airstream Forums mobile app
Fly.On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #18
Dreaming in Wally's World

2007 27' Classic FB
Blanco , Texas
27' FB Classic with closets

I have a 2007 27' Classic FB that has the "shirt closets" on each side of the bed. IMO they are too short to hang shirts. Will shoot you a pic of some of my shirts hanging tomorrow. But, I love the closet space itself. Drawers and great cubbies.
Heritagechic is offline   Reply With Quote