Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Propane quick connect

Whew...this is my weekend for plumbing. Our recently bought 2007 Classic has a Propane quick connect fitting which excited me because our International did not have one. So I went to Camping world, bought the proper hose, and my female connection will not lock with the barb.

I tested another barb that I use for my LP generator with the same result. Plus the new hose connects with the generator which eliminates a hose problem in my mind.

The slide collar retracts just fine, but does not extend enough to lock on the barb.

Before I replace the fitting is there a lubricant, or cleaner to try. Airstream must have used locktite because my brief attempt to remove the thing was futile...and I don’t want to twist the copper pipe.

Any suggestions?
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I dont believe AS put these ports on 2007s. PO must have added this feature. There are different styles of connectors available in the market. Sounds like you need to do some research to get a new fitting for the AS. Check mcMaster carr website.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The female quick disconnect I bought from Camping World was labelled as a low pressure fitting but was a high pressure fitting and would not mate with the hose that came with my grill. I bought a low pressure female disconnect from Amazon and it worked. You are probably up against a similar problem. Sounds like someone put a Camping World fitting on the trailer, or Camping World's hose has a high pressure fitting and your trailer has a low pressure.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
They are very easy to take off and change. I learned the hard way. Mine wasn’t working. Realized the cap was off, and when I took it off there was a little stone in it. Blew it out with the compressor. Good lesson I learned was always put that cap back on

I think I would just order another one from AS parts dealer and put it on instead of wasting my time messing around with finding a hose that would fit it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Thanks. I guess that’s what I will do. The thing is just on really tight.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The difference between the fittings is very subtle. It looks like the barrel of the low pressure fitting is slightly longer, which would match with your problem description.

Al

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Fittings.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	333809
Old 02-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Old 02-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I suggest getting some good vice grips to use on both sides of the connector. That worked for me. Brass tends to get stripped easily. When you put back on make sure and use plumbers tape or something similar on the threads.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I suggest getting some good vice grips to use on both sides of the connector. That worked for me. Brass tends to get stripped easily. When you put back on make sure and use plumbers tape or something similar on the threads.
Teflon tape for LP fittings is different. It is yellow, comes in a yellow roll, and is more expensive, but a little goes a long way. The white tape is not rated for LP.

Al
Old 02-17-2019, 10:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Spot on with that advice. Yellow Teflon tape is the only kind that works with flammable gases or liquids. The white stuff is for water only!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:17 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Head down to your local hardware store, such as ACE. They stock the variant quick connect fittings, and are packaged in bubble packs which have the profile of the correct mating fitting cut into the cardboard backing. Bring the male fitting that you have and test the fit; you can narrow down the selection by ruling some variants out.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
So...I went back to Camping World, hose in hand and bought a quick connect fitting that fits the hose. Installed on the trailer and hooked up a small one burner cooker. The cooker will light however the flame is too small to be of any use so I don’t know how it will work for my Weber 1000 grill. I imagine this has something to do with High vs.Low pressure LP appliances but I don’t know how to determine which is which.

Is there a nomenclature, or Industry rating that would say? The Weber works fine on either a one pound LP bottle, or straight into a 20 pound tank without regulator.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
The Weber has it's own built-in regulator. It needs high pressure gas. I bet the outlet on your AS is on low pressure side of the main regulator.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #14
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Weber Q Low Pressure Conversion

Quote:
... I don’t know how it will work for my Weber 1000 grill. I imagine this has something to do with High vs.Low pressure LP appliances but I don’t know how to determine which is which.

I used a low pressure conversion kit, which costs about $50, for my Weber Q which now works fine from the Airstream low pressure fixture. You take off the pressure regulator on the grill and install the conversion kit. About a 15 minute job. I would expect that your small stove also has a regulator which is why it didn't work properly on the low pressure fitting.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
So...I went back to Camping World, hose in hand and bought a quick connect fitting that fits the hose. Installed on the trailer and hooked up a small one burner cooker. The cooker will light however the flame is too small to be of any use so I don’t know how it will work for my Weber 1000 grill. I imagine this has something to do with High vs.Low pressure LP appliances but I don’t know how to determine which is which.

Is there a nomenclature, or Industry rating that would say? The Weber works fine on either a one pound LP bottle, or straight into a 20 pound tank without regulator.
It sounds like your source from the trailer is low pressure (did you check the connecters you bought.) Your cooker may have a built in low pressure regulator like the Weber Q grills do.

Weber Q grills require high pressure, like from a 1 pound or 20 pound tank. The grill has a built in regulator to convert the gas supply to low pressure. If you have low pressure coming from the trailer and are connecting to a Weber Q with a low pressure regulator not enough gas gets to the burners.

There is a conversion kit to remove the low pressure regulator from the Weber Q's and use quick connect fittings at the grill and the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/M-B-Sturgis-I...07N98HRBJ?th=1

Good luck!
Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
I will look into the kit but is it possible to change the pressure at the source?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #17
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
I will look into the kit but is it possible to change the pressure at the source?
The propane that comes from your large tanks (20-40 lb) goes through a regulator at the tanks which changes it from the high pressure in the tank to low pressure used in the Airstream for your furnace, fridge and hot water tank and the low pressure outlet which we have been discussing.

You could disconnect one of your large propane tanks and run a line with the correct adapter at the appliance end (like the threads of your 1 lb tanks) to the Weber Q. That is a bit of a pain, but is easy to do. You would then be running the high pressure propane through the regulator on the BBQ.

Some people take a supply of the 1 lb tanks with them or an extra 10 - 20 lb tank with them. Personally, I prefer to use the low pressure outlet. (BTW I kept the Weber Q regulator and can re-install it if I need take the BBQ on a road trip using the 1 lb propane containers.)
Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
I use the Weber for my home grill most of the time so it is easier to leave it set up as is. I like the idea of a separate regulator for one of my 40 pounders. If We empty one on a trip (rarely) I can just rotate the tanks.

The HP regulator would allow me to run a variety of appliances...Coleman stove, Mr. Buddy heater, Little Red Campfire, and of course the Weber. O, and in a pinch my LP Champion generator, which stays in the truck with its own bottle but it would achieve some flexibility.

Talked myself into it. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #19
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
I use the Weber for my home grill most of the time so it is easier to leave it set up as is. I like the idea of a separate regulator for one of my 40 pounders. If We empty one on a trip (rarely) I can just rotate the tanks.

The HP regulator would allow me to run a variety of appliances...Coleman stove, Mr. Buddy heater, Little Red Campfire, and of course the Weber. O, and in a pinch my LP Champion generator, which stays in the truck with its own bottle but it would achieve some flexibility.

Talked myself into it. Thanks.
You don’t need another regulator, just a hose to connect your tank to the BBQ as the Weber Q already has a regulator.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
2019 27' International
Cheyenne , Wyoming
This is what I use. Then you can hook up anything that would normally use a 1 pound tank.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/90-De...-p/66-8913.htm
Wyo Silver is offline   Reply With Quote