Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
No Cabinet Over Fridge on 2008 Classic 25fb

There seems to be some unused space over the refrigerator of my 2008 Classic 25fb. It seems a small cabinet could've been created over the fridge.

What is above the fridge that prevents AS from building a cabinet above the fridge or was this a cost cutting measure.

I hope it isn't a big open void that heat from the fridge condenser and absorber coils isn't allowed to collect in. AS has built wall dampers between the aluminum wall and the back fridge coils to create a chimney affect to the roof fridge vent. Did they close off the top?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Mine is built the same way. I see what you mean. I was wondering about that too, but just got used to it over time.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That is for venting the heat from your fridge up and out the rooftop vent opening. Don't mess with it as these type of fridge's can get plenty hot to ignite something if not properly vented.

Some models (like mine) have something over the fridge, like a microwave, but use a second louvered door for cooling. I don't think it works as well the the rooftop vent and Airstream knows this, providing a cooling fan to help.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Microwave and a roof fridge vent. Guess no two are alike.

Bob
Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Microwave and a roof fridge vent. Guess no two are alike.

Bob
Nor are the floor plans. I believe your 2003 fridge and microwave are mounted in a deeper cabinet allowing cooling space behind it to reach the roof vent, than the o.p.'s later Classic 25FB which is set in a shallower cabinet?

doug k
Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've got my AS in covered storage with the fridge on with AC. It's about 82F inside the tailer. The fridge is on setting 5 and the fridge temp is about 32-33F. The fridge is empty.
I was able to look up the chimney but couldn't tell what was immediately beyond the condenser fins. The wall baffle seems to be built has high up the wall as the condenser.

Inside the trailer I can feel the side wall where the TV is mounted next to the fridge and its warm. You can run you hand up to the ceiling and still feel the warmth. Moving my hand towards the front top of the fridge the warmth dissipates. The panel above the freezer feels warm but not like the wood adjacent to the chimney so I don't believe the space on top of the fridge is open in the back to the chimney area.

I'd love to learn what is up there. I think they could've built a shallow cabinet like they have under the fridge. This youTube video shows a 25' AS Flying Cloud with the rear dinette and couch and it has a little cabinet above the fridge.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ml#post1295523

Kelvin
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kelvin, I don't have a FB model but I think I remember that "cabinet" over the fridge being only a few inches deep. Whether you could adapt that late model change to yours I wouldn't know, or whether it would be worth the effort, or whether it would restrict your fridge compartment cooling.

doug k
Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've looked at several examples in the Classified and it seems the Flying Cloud versions have the cabinet over the fridge. I wonder if its just a Classic thing?

We are also missing the drawer under the curb side dinette but I guess its because we gain the storage cabinet next to the door and behind the dinette seat.

Kelvin
Old 02-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
My 2007 classic also had that space over the fridge blanked out. I make space about 8 inches deep up there, open in the front with removeable dowel rods and store glasses in it. If you are going to do anything like that, be sure you seal it very well, other wise exhaust gases from the fridge when using propane can enter the living area.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I would feel certain that area isn't 'open' for fridge venting. My Classic motorhome has a upward tilting cabinet door. Because of slope, I can only fit roll of paper towels and bottles of cleaner. I do like idea of creating a space for glasses there.
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I talked to Paul at A&P Vintage Trailer works. The space above the fridge is an empty void but not open to the fridge chimney. He can create a cabinet above the fridge with a matching cabinet door but it would require the removal of the fridge to get the best results. I will only have the work done if I need to replace the fridge.

Kelvin
Old 11-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our 25 Rear Bed has a convention/microwave over the fridge, the fridge is vented out an upper external hatch, with a fan assist as needed. Works very well once we replaced the noisy factory vent fan with a whisper quiet fan.

You will need a path for ventilation air somewhere, side or top.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 11-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Yes, that's an oddity that I noticed on my friends Classic 27FB. No cabinet, yet we have one on the International. Hmmm.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote