Old 05-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Has Anyone Removed the Wood Slide Out Pantry on a Classic?

What is the procedure to remove the slide out pantry in a 25 Classic. I would like to check the supports as the wall next to the kitchen cabinet has showed some movement.

Thanks

Kelvin

Old 05-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
When you pull it out, what kind of hardware do you see, like drawer slides? They might be on the sides or under the main pull-out, or both. Usually these have some kind of spring clip which lets you lift the moving section up off the slides.

If the slide hardware is under the pullout pantry, you can hold a phone camera down there, pointing up, and get some photos of the hardware, after you have it out, or at least partially out. Once you figure out the system, you can usually do the release "by feel," like we have to do with our FC20 drawer slides.

There should be a mfg. name on any parts you can see IMO.

Peter

PS -- These search results for "25' pantry slides" may lead somewhere productive IMO:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=kO7....0.bLb9vwRuQYM

Like here? http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...de-104290.html
Or here? http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...es-102856.html

Do the slide photos attached to the following post in the first thread above look right?
[click on orange arrow in quote to see photos]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingduo View Post
We seem to be in this boat too. Spilled some salt in the pantry cabinet and a few months later we are seeing and feeling the full blown effects on the lower slide. I had to remove both the bottom and top slide to get to this. The brand is Schock Metal, and they don't seem to sell their products through retail. Did anyone else have luck replacing these slides with a soft close, full-open kind? I would like to replace it with one that can be disconnected with a lever so it's easier to clean in the future. And if if not, did you find the replacement slide locally? What brand, were they? This one is 22 inches in length.
Thanks!

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I took mine out and put a different roller system on it. There is a metal plate top back that keeps it from coming out. Unsrew it and it will pull out. I ordered better hardware from a woodworking supply company and closed off one side of the pull out to help keep things from falling. Some kind of full extension ball bearing slides made for kitchens. Rockler or Woodworkers Supply. Works great now. Been 11 years so I have forgotten many of the details
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Looks like my pantry wall movement is due to a missing screw in an L bracket under the kitchen cabinet. A hardwood strip, which has the L bracket screwed into it, is glued to underside of the Corian close to the pantry wall but the glue is failing and the strip jiggles. The double sink is in the way so it appears the counter top is going to have to be removed to repair an Airstream assembly problem. I can also see a L bracket on the interior wall inside the kitchen cabinet. One screw into the shell and one into the pantry wall. My arms aren't long enough to get a screwdriver in those screws. Got to wait until I'm back in Texas to get A&P to do the repairs after this summer.

Thanks for your replies.

Kelvin
Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the update. You know the standard magnetic phillips screw holders, like for sheetrock installation? They make very log extensions for them, but not sure if you can find one where you are?

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Hold.../dp/B01DGHHZHE

You could put some in series maybe to get to those screws? Hard to picture.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Sometimes these extensions lock onto each other and can't be separated FYI.

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I replaced the hardware with glides that are rated to 100lbs the cheap glides that came from AS fell a part after the first season. I purchased the 100lbs ones at Lowe’s. While replacing them the rail support that was attached to the bath wall did not have enough screws and support, this allowed the pantry to not be stable rolling in and out, and while fully extended the pantry would rock side to side.