Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

powell , Missouri
Drawer malfunctions

2008 Classic Limited

Two of my lower drawers in kitchen simply will not come out or go in correctly. I’ve pulled these drawers out completely.....inspected the tracts, rollers, alignment, etc and can find nothing wrong. But the drawers will not go in and out the way they should. Any ideas?
capt kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Our 2012 has cheap rails, the ones with plastic rollers on the front and end of the rails. You could, relatively easily, replace the rails with heavy-duty ball-bearing ones. Put a latch on the drawer also with these, if it doesn't already have one.

https://www.casarodante.org/2020/06/...ects/?swcfpc=1
(look near the end of the post)
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
capt kirk, you could post up some pictures, maybe somebody will see what's wrong.

I was in the furniture business for a few decades, having repaired, aligned, and tweaked many a hinge, drawer glide, and the like.

I'm not familiar with the setup on your trailer. First thing that comes to mind is make sure there is nothing behind the drawer that interferes, like a wire, cable, or conduit.

Check the drawers themselves, make sure they aren't loose at a corner, coming apart.
Check the sidewalls of the cabinet to make sure they are squared up andhaven't moved.
Make sure the side glides are screwed tight to the cabinet wall, no stripped screws, and no screws sticking out to drag on.

One thing I always used, and still keep around, is cooking/paraffin wax, for drawer and drawer glide lubrication.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

powell , Missouri
Thanks Major

Thanks Major for the reply. And you were pretty much right on. I found the problem on my worst door......the one under the fridge. The problem is that the frame that the tracks ride on is not attached to “anything”.it just kinda free-floats around on its own.....including rising up when you try to pull the drawer in or out.

I’ve used an L bracket to hold the frame in place and the drawer works fine now.
Thanks for you advice
capt kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Nice! I'm glad you tracked down that issue and reported it back here ��

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote