Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Classic FB Limited (Front Bed vs Front Couch)

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has camped in both the front couch configuration, and the front bedroom configuration (25 - 27 ft). If so, which configuration seemed best? The FB is appealing to me, but I have spent 0 time in either, so I am looking for opinions. Looking for people who have spent time in both styles.

Cheers
Dale
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Been in both slept in neither. Out next Airstream will be the FB. Here's the logic. Sleeping position in the trailer doesn't seem to effect sleeping comfort. Slept in the front of the 68 Caravel. That rear dinette is the best idea ever in trailers. The best view is almost always out the back when you are parked. You back in 95% of the time. Privacy and the best view. Your patio and the front of the trailer block the energy vibes from the campground road. They also don't have that colonial design thing going.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
25fb

Dale-

We love out little 22" Safari but I got to tell you, the 25FB is really sharp! It has everyting going for it and if it were availabel when we were looking we would have snagged it right away. I also no for a fact that JC can not keep up with the orders for them. The layout is wonderful, lots of room and lots of light. I just don't see how anyone could go wrong with this trailer!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
The contrary opinion

I will be the contrary opinion here. I have a 25SS right now and like the arrangement. We are looking at something slightly larger and have looked at both the 27FB and the 28 foot.

The one thing I don't like about the FB is the seating arrangement in the front. The couch is right beside the dinette, with the TV usually on the curb side partition. So the question is where do you watch TV from? I think you would have to have one person sit at the dinette to watch TV.

also, if we go for the FB I definetely wouldn't go for the wrap around windows at the front. You loose closet space, and who needs that much window in the bedroom, especially if you are facing the campground road?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Just an opinion

I have slept in neither model. I would choose the 27 FB classic. I would get the panoramic window only in the dinette area. I would appreciate the wardrobes in the bedroom area and would like less light in the BR.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
While it's sharp looking, I'd rather have the bedroom in the rear of the campsite. A lot more quiet back there and while the windows and light are neat, my life is spent more in the front side of the trailer and I like to watch what is going on around me. The likelyhood of those bedroom curtains being pulled full open are pretty remote for me.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:36 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have an '05 25' FB, and love the arrangement. We spent 80 nights in our FB in '06 and never tired of it. It is the ideal layout for two people. The Queen bed is great.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
Craftsman

Looked at both, and bought the 25' classic with twins. I like the the beds in the back were it's quiet at night and I like the couch for watching movies. The FB model seem to have less outside storage especially with the queen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA160019.JPGcouch.jpg2.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	31254  
Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
25' Fb Se

I do well with the front bedroom, even with the windows open while sleeping. We're not real late sleepers. Panoramic window curtains around the dinette are open nearly all the time for us. The living space in the FB SE series has great vision to the outside and I sure appreciate having this end backed into the more private side of a campsite -- green works for us! Best advice? Hang around shows or dealers until you can actually walk through a rear bed or front bed model. Fitting into the widest variety of state park & nat'l forest campsites keeps me from having 27' FB Classic envy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
The FB model seem to have less outside storage especially with the queen.
Absolutely true! We have a 25' FB twin and it has the curbside single storage compartment of the queen -- PLUS outside storage compartments -- 5' wide across the front AND 4' long roadside front. A regular long distance cruiser!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca
I have a 25SS right now and like the arrangement. .... The one thing I don't like about the FB is the seating arrangement in the front. The couch is right beside the dinette, with the TV usually on the curb side partition. So the question is where do you watch TV from? I think you would have to have one person sit at the dinette to watch TV.

... wrap around windows at the front. You loose closet space...
The two of us wouldn't fit in the corner bed. Susie didn't like the foot space being cut off or crawling over in the night. True enough about position to watch TV; I spend too much time outside to let that be a bother. There's only the occasional hour long show we want to watch. Closet & drawer space with the 25' FB queen isn't super. The twin bed doesn't have more closet space but it has much more underbed & overhead storage than the queen. That being said, I'd love to have the wider wardrobe between the fridge & shower of the 27' FB!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I love the 25' Classic with all the storage with the twins and the comfy couch can't be beat.

With the front bedroom model, I like having more seating choices and a permanent dinette and the sprawl room of a queen. There is less outside and convenient storage and no built in area for a microwave except a combo oven.

In the front bedroom, I feel much more snug up in my bed with head backed up to the truck while I snooze on the road. At a campground there is little road noise and traffic at night but I am closer to the mainstream of other campers while I sleep. I love the private back door and view when backed up to a scenic spot.

I'm in agreement with SilverHobby about panoramic windows around the bed vs storage.

As for watching tv, don't forget that the tv arm extends well away from the wall next to the couch if you desire it. We find it is actually better for tv viewing because we have room to put our legs and feet up. If you put the table down and make an L shape lounging area, you can really spread out or you could even have a crowd with perfect visibility of the monitor.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
Craftsman

The truth is: they are both great layouts. You just have to try them side by side and see which is right for you. You'll have a hard time deciding.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
I have slept in neither model. I would choose the 27 FB classic. I would get the panoramic window only in the dinette area. I would appreciate the wardrobes in the bedroom area and would like less light in the BR.
I'm with you on the wrap around in the bedroom. One of the biggest heat loss areas is the windows. We do enough cold weather camping that the additional glass would add to the heat loss. We have the conventional flat rear window in the bed room of our 30'classic and even that lets so much cold in we insulate it with plastic to keep the cold out. more glass--better views--more glass-colder coach---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
I agree with comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
I'm with you on the wrap around in the bedroom. One of the biggest heat loss areas is the windows. more glass--better views--more glass-colder coach---pieman
I agree with the majority..we have the 25FB Safari with both front and rear Panos because we like lots of light and the views, but the additional window area does allow more heat loss and thus requires quite a bit more furnace use to compensate. It is a true tradeoff. And if you are a "dark only" sleep late kind of person, forget the front Pano for sure. The one thing not mentioned so far is that with the twin bed model and the front Pano windows, the bedroom becomes a very nice second lounge, great for reading with lots of sunlight...just a thought I would pass along for those needing two kick back spaces prior to bedtime.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #14
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Thanks

Thanks folks. Some great comments. You brought up points I never would of considered.

Cheers
Dale
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I really like the FB floorplans. 8 for drinks, 4 for dinner in an open spacious floorplan.

You are heading for a dealership to hang out in the trailers right??

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TV Watching

Put the dinette into the bed configuration. Make Popcorn! Loll

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Nobody on the Forums ever starts a thread asking how to convert a queen-equipped Airstream into twins. It's always the other way around. With my twin beds I can more readily fit in 2-3 other friends on a fishing trip.

The 25' has a sideways queen that has never appealed to me due to limited walkaround space -- I know our old Airedale would get trapped in there. Two points: The 27' has a fore-and-aft queen bed that is a good improvement. And just occasionally I mull over keeping the three outside storage compartments of my twin arrangement but modifying the beds to something like a sailboat's forepeak. The twins are just so darned narrow for a couple to pass time in...

The biggie SE thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ons-17339.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #18
Craftsman

The twins are just so darned narrow for a couple to pass time in...

thats when you employ the fold down couch... the best of both worlds
Old 01-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
This thread points out one thing loud and clear--everyone has different needs and taste. Buyer beware--walking into a show room or lot full of trailers without first really looking at what your needs are can start an expensive chain of events. ie; you buy some thing that catches your eye--then you find you need a different tow vehicle--then you find the trailer doesnt fit your needs, you tradeup--now you're short on tow vehicle again--a new floor plan becomes available{ what you should have bought in the first place} . When it ends you find you have what you really should have bought in the first place but thought it too expensive. This is not to mention the expence of multiple licence and title regestrations, sale taxes, hitches, and new insurance premiums. Oh I forgot to mention the 3 sets of towels and bed linens--sheets pillow cases--throw rugs--dish towels--paper towel holders--coat hooks and nick naks that don't match the interior colors of each new coach. Been there done that !!!!-------pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
While it's sharp looking, I'd rather have the bedroom in the rear of the campsite. A lot more quiet back there and while the windows and light are neat, my life is spent more in the front side of the trailer and I like to watch what is going on around me. The likelyhood of those bedroom curtains being pulled full open are pretty remote for me.

Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Looked at both, and bought the 25' classic with twins. I like the the beds in the back were it's quiet at night and I like the couch for watching movies. The FB model seem to have less outside storage especially with the queen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
In the front bedroom, I feel much more snug up in my bed with head backed up to the truck while I snooze on the road. At a campground there is little road noise and traffic at night but I am closer to the mainstream of other campers while I sleep.
We have the 30' Safari (I know it's not what everyone else here is talking about, but it is the original front bedroom Airstream, IIRC there wasn't one before) and we have the island queen that is parallel to the length of the trailer. This means our heads are directly below the front window and just behind the trailer tongue. We camped about 22 or so nights so far and we haven't heard any of the noise that the fearful have eluded to. Noise just hasn't been a factor even when we have slept in late in the mornings.

So go with the floor plan you like and don't worry about noise unless you are a super, super sensitive sleeper.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 classic