Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Buying a Classic? Things you should know.

This applies to most recent years but I have a 2010 so that's where I'll put it.

After about a year of ownership there are a few things I think new purchasers should know especially when considering a factory order.

1) The ultraleather couch isn't genuine leather. It's synthetic, quite leatherlike, and pretty nice, but know what you're getting considering the cost.

2) If you are going to use the air conditioning you probably want the optional second roof unit. There are a number of threads on this but most people find that a single unit doesn't cool sufficiently in demanding conditions.

3) Consider a twin bed layout since it provides more storage and more flexibility.

4) Consider ordering the CSA gas system which provides protective covering over the propane lines. This reduces the chances of a rock or something making a hole in the gas lines under the trailer, which are exposed if the CSA feature isn't ordered.

5) It's worth considering paying the customization fee to have the factory use vinyl flooring except in the bedroom. The factory carpet is not especially durable and is difficult to keep clean, and removing it once the trailer is built is time consuming.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
We have a single AC unit and don't find it a problem. But we don't usually camp in the desert and we spend a lot of time in the mountains. We camp at a lot of NP campgrounds where we don't have electrical connections and we find the Fantastic fan in the bedroom (which would be eliminated with a second AC) to come in very handy.

I agree with your other comments, especially the covered gas lines and carpet.
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Jammer,

Is the CSA feature a standard option for the 2011 Classics?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
It's an option that costs around $100 or so.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
We like the ultraleather. It's non-scuffable and more comfortable than our leather chairs.

Don't have any problem with the single A/C. Have been comfortable in the 90's in humid TX.

We had the carpet ripped out and replaced with a laminate.

All in all we think it's a fine trailer and are looking forward to another season.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

It wasn't me

Doesn't that ultra leather make a rather "rude" sound when you move around on it ??????????
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Jammer,
Do you have a 15,000 btu A/C on your trailer? I find it does the job quite nicely on my 27' trailer and that 2 A/c's would be a waste of money.
Your trailer is a few feet longer and maybe that makes all the difference. Either that or you guys from MN just like to have things a little cooler than the rest of us.
I like the ultra leather also and the twin layout along with the vinyl flooring too.
The other little extras like the #40 aluminum propane tanks, the upgraded blinds and curtains, the Hickory cabinets and the nice looking dinnete table, larger water tank, are also worth mentioning and are standard on the Classic. I guess I could go on and on but I'll just stop here and rest my fingers from all this typing.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Doesn't that ultra leather make a rather "rude" sound when you move around on it ??????????

No, but I usually have pants on.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
I agree about the carpet, we had it removed and put in pergo. The couch had to go, I new it was a simulated leather, the overhead is the same material, we replaced the couch with two recliners. They are more comfortable than the couch and I can nap in a recliner.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet All in All, Pretty Good Advice

On my Excella one 15,000 btu A/C is not really enough. It's not miserable in full sun on a 100+ day, but it's not really comfortable either. Shorts, tank top, and a fan are required.

If I win the lottery, I'm adding a second AC.

Hate the carpet, it's going even if I don't win the lottery. Even in the bedroom, it's all going.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
I actually do have the dual air conditioners but have found that configuration to be barely sufficient. I can only imagine what it would be like to have just one. There's another thread on this somewhere. To be sure, with the dual A/C they do drop the size of each unit from 15,000 to 13,500 or 11,000 (I'm not sure which).

I have found that while the rear A/C keeps the bedroom and bathroom area adequately cooled, the front A/C does not keep the living room area cool enough particularly on hot, humid, sunny, windy days, especially in campsites where shade is lacking.

We get a few 95+ degree days here and it's usually humid which makes the air conditioning work harder than in Texas or Arizona.

One thing I might try if I had it to do over is to get Airstream to install a 15,000 front and an 11,000 rear A/C to better match the capacity to the cooling load.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
My main complaint with the carpet is that it appears to be wearing so poorly. I may replace mine with a better quality carpet at some point rather than getting rid of it entirely. I suppose that's something that could be done as part of a factory order for a new unit, too.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
If the vinyl they install is the same stuff they put in my 2005, I wouldn't pay for the upgrade - it cracks (of course that might have something to do with the way its installed with all the wrinkles going one direction - read too long - and too short the other direction).

Do they have a marmolium option?

I would agree about the carpet though: it might be a good idea for a full-timer, but it's not the brightest feature for most campground camping.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

We get a few 95+ degree days here and it's usually humid which makes the air conditioning work harder than in Texas or Arizona.
That's the advantage of Arkansas. We get all the heat of Texas or Arizona with all the humidity of Louisiana or Mississippi. Actually, the entire south gets all the heat and all the humidity.
Quote:
One thing I might try if I had it to do over is to get Airstream to install a 15,000 front and an 11,000 rear A/C to better match the capacity to the cooling load.
That is my opinion of the correct match. I have a 15,000 now. If I add another in the bedroom, it will be a 11,000 unit.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Really?

My 30' Classic came with vinyl from the entry door to the bedroom, love it! Love the soft leather...with or without pants! My single 15000 BTU A/C does a great job making the trailer comfortable in the 108 degree heat of Las Vegas in July and the queen bed is perfect....personal preference.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
It's an option that costs around $100 or so.
What is this CSA? Where can it be found for an older trailer?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
The CSA is an organization in Canada that sets standards for gas appliances. In the U.S. we have the AGA and the RVIA.

If the trailer is CSA approved it will so state on the nameplate next to the VIN, I believe.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Protective covering over gas lines:

I think it's a good feature to have as it can prevent pin holes and dents in the gas lines from kicked up gravel under the trailer.
My 87 Sovereign came with a gray plastic (nylon tubing) covering the gas lines. Is this what you are refering to? When I replaced a section of the tubing I found it to be gray electrical conduit. I'll have to check my 2010 to see if it has that tubing covering the lines. I didn't ask for it as an option. To be honest, I never gave it a second thought till now.
Jammer, did your new trailer come with it?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
No, I wasn't aware of what the CSA stuff meant so I didn't order it.

I understand that they use PEX now instead of conduit although I would think that either would work equally well. I suppose the PEX would have somewhat less tendency to become brittle over the course of year.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
The CSA is an organization in Canada that sets standards for gas appliances. In the U.S. we have the AGA and the RVIA.

If the trailer is CSA approved it will so state on the nameplate next to the VIN, I believe.
CSA stands for Canadian Standards Association. This is what they say about themselves:

The Canadian Standards Association is a not-for-profit membership-based association serving business, industry, government and consumers in Canada and the global marketplace.

As a solutions-oriented organization, we work in Canada and around the world to develop standards that address real needs, such as enhancing public safety and health. Advancing the quality of life. Helping to preserve the environment. Facilitating trade.

We help people understand standards through education and information products and services. Each year, thousands of people benefit from the training materials, workshops and seminars offered by the CSA Education & Training.

When I think of the US equivalent, Underwriters' Laboratory comes to mind. Are they still approving plug-in things?

Tags
2010 classic, critique