Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
2008 Classic FB w/king size bed

Sorry for not posting this in the proper forum, but I couldn`t find the 2008 classic forum.

The wife is interested in the the 30 foot classic FB with the king size bed. She likes the layout and would prefer a newer classic model. (I guess she thinks that money is no object)

I would appreciate any comments from anyone who owns or has owned one.

There are a lot of windows/skylights. How is the heat issue?

The layout suits me just fine, but the kitchen is a bit small. Is there plenty of room for clothes, food, etc?

According to Airstream two air conditioners can be installed, but that means one less fantastic fan. Is it possible to have 2 air conditioners and 2 fantastic fans?

I would prefer to pull it with a gasser instead of a diesel. I think a 2010 F-150 would suffice. Any opinions?
Chikusho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I don't think the 150 would be a good match for a 30' Classic. We pulled a 25' Classic and it was not ideal and overloaded the combined gross vehicle rating when loaded. Our 3/4 Suburban makes for a more stable ride. But it is amazing what the Hensley Arrow will allow you to tow and stop comfortably from what we hear.

The sky lights and windows will allow much more ambient temperature transfer than if there were fewer openings in the insulated interior, warmer or cooler. I would not get the front wrap and appreciate the more constant temperature in the bedroom area and opt for extra storage.

Spend time in the classic rear bedroom unit to experience the difference in floor plans as well. The bench cushions shift about and are not as comfortable and you must scoot into the "booth" as opposed to the easy accessibility of a couch. While the FB packs a punch in having it all, it comes at the expense of open floor space and a feeling of openness and convertibility.

While we don't have a king bed at home I think a queen bed in an Airstream is wide enough to be comfortable and to have extra storage or walk room on the sides. Wall to wall bed may or may not be your preference in the Airstream.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikusho! View Post
Sorry for not posting this in the proper forum, but I couldn`t find the 2008 classic forum.

The wife is interested in the the 30 foot classic FB with the king size bed. She likes the layout and would prefer a newer classic model. (I guess she thinks that money is no object)

I would appreciate any comments from anyone who owns or has owned one.

There are a lot of windows/skylights. How is the heat issue?

The layout suits me just fine, but the kitchen is a bit small. Is there plenty of room for clothes, food, etc?

According to Airstream two air conditioners can be installed, but that means one less fantastic fan. Is it possible to have 2 air conditioners and 2 fantastic fans?

I would prefer to pull it with a gasser instead of a diesel. I think a 2010 F-150 would suffice. Any opinions?
First, WELCOME! Many good people here to help you find the perfect for you Airstream. (Serious advice - go to a rally, a big dealer or the factory and see the units in person. Brochures and websites only go so far.)

I have a 25 FB SE Safari - the Classics are the most luxurious, most costly and heaviest of all. Traditional wisdom is that a half ton truck is good for a 25 footer - over that you need 3/4 tons. I personally pull my 25 with a Chevy Silverado Diesel 2500. I may have a bit more truck than I need, but you'd be underpowered with a half ton towing a 30 Classic IMHO.

I prefer the CCD (International) styling and if I were trading up I'd go for the 27 CCD FB... The 30 is nice (only available in Classic), but I think the King is kinda silly. The bedroom is confined, and a king just makes it hard to walk around or get to the underbed storage. The thing that you have to remember about Airstreams is that the sides are radiused, they tuck in at foot level. In the 25 FB, I have to walk like an Egyptian to walk on the side of the bed facing the front wall. I think very few 30 FB's were ever sold. If it could be ordered with a queen or twins instead of the king, it would be more user friendly.

Size Matters - and it's a very personal thing. I've had a 22' - and there are times I curse the extra 3 feet - like small gas stations. I'd love the extra closet space and fore and aft queen in the 27' - but going to a 30... nope not for me. You may have kids and grand kids that tilt your decision in the other direction. I recently came back from a rally in the Wilds of Ohio - It was up a dirt path and I remember thinking the whole last mile or so in "GOD I so wouldn't want to be doing this in a 34 foot tri-axle." I don't think you could do "serious" boondocking in a 30... but your usage may be different.

Two Air Condtioners - only needed in the deep south - I'd definitely want at least a 15000 BTU A/C. You definitely eliminate the second fan when you put in a 2nd A/C. You don't say where you live, I wouldn't take on the expense of a second A/C without a real strong need for it. I have ONE A/C in a 25' in coastal Virginia... never felt I needed more.

Airstreams are not "winter campers". I fulltime successfully in south eastern Virginia. We get about six to eight weeks of pretty bitter cold (yeah - it does get below 32F for about 2 weeks - havent had a serious snowfall in 8 years but it can happen). That's tolerable as long as you keep your water line heated and your tanks warm. I wouldn't want to try to winter in Minnesota or Montana!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Paula
Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
_

. , .
the NEW f-150 would be capable of pulling the 30, just barely.

and a v10 gasser is available in f250 with a little more beef.

it's still possible to have 2 f. fans since ONE can be placed in the bathroom instead of the wimpy ventline vent.

my unit has 3 fantastic fans, but only 1 a/c...

to install a f.fan NEAR the 2nd a/c a NEW HOLE would be needed.

but a/s can cut the hole and do the install, so can crafty owners.

2 a/c typically requires the '50 amp' upgrade WHEN BUILT NEW...

wiring can be added later for a 2nd a/c

but the drain tube which is normally INSIDE the wall is a bear to add later...

the king bed model is a bad gimmick, unless the owners are really W I D E people...

the width of the bed makes moving around it nearly impossible, look at the pictures in the thread below...

there is ~ 6-9 inches of 'floor space' on each side...

many threads on this layout, here are the basics...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f398...bed-47633.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ing-38650.html

how far apart to you and wife wanna be while sleeping?

ok, THAT's none of our business...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
So I would need a diesel to pull it. From what I`ve read the v10 gasser gets worse mpg than the diesel. There`s also the problem with diesel fluctuating so much. I called home and my step dad said that diesel was $1.30 higher than gas.

The wife likes the surrounding windows that`s why she likes this particular model.

I think if it came down to having to buy a diesel truck, I might as well as go with the 34 slide out and just convince the wife that`s the best way to go.

Are there any other gassers that will pull this size Airstream?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
As always, it's not so much a matter of getting the trailer moving, it's more a matter of controlling it and stopping it.
We pull a 2008 Safari 27FBSE with a F-150 with the newer style motor. You're talking about 2 extra feet and all the added weight of the Classic vs. Safari/International. I wouldn't go any bigger than what we have with any 1/2 ton.
I've seen recent advertisements for the 2010 GMC Sierra and they claim over 400hp in a 6.2L gas V8. You might want to check out the tow ratings for this but I'd still think the 3/4 ton diesel would be a much better bet.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks, I`ll take a look at the GMC.

Tags
2007 classic