Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Mansfield , Texas
2006 28' Classic Carpet Question

Hi,
Does anyone know whether the linoleum on the floor extends under the carpet in the front of the Airstream? Or does the linloeum stop where the carpet begins?
Thanks, Larry
HubbyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Craftsman

The carpet stops where the linlieun begins.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hey Larry -- If I recall, for newer trailers the plywood floor is added to the steel frame and linoleum is added to the entire floor next. Only then is the shell put on and further finishing take place. So there should be linoleum under the carpet.

Airstream has a $500 change fee for special requests -- if they will take the request at all. But they left the carpet out from around our Safari bed at no charge since they didn't have to do anything extra. That works well for us with dog hair and all...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi hubby bear larry......

diametrically opposed answers.......i like it!

it does depend some on the models......

flooring is the first thing that goes inside so understanding how it is done is really important, because it is hard to modify later....

on classic models the carpet front/rear is not over the lino....
the 2 abut as craftsman suggests....i did pay extra to get ALL lino
and it was a wise change, i like no carpet, and with several nuisance water leaks during the first year, the carpet would now smell ripe....

also the 'no carpet option' means the outside storage ports have lino lining...not carpet, to soak up outdoor things....

the safari and international models now come stock without carpet....as i understand....

so on a 06 classic unit, carpet is attached to the base wood subfloor...with a strip of trim at the lino border.....a real negative imo when wanting to upgrade the floor surface.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
depends on model?

Sooooo,

My AS is the same model and year as Bob's (Canoe Stream), can I expect linoleum under the carpet in the bedroom and the storage area? If there is, I am pulling out the carpet tomorrow.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi timemachine......

i am under the impression.....
which may be mistaken....
that the safari and international models....
no longer have any carpeting....
except on the walls and toilet ring.....

i'm not sure they ever layed carpet over linoleum....
on any model........
that would be wasting floor materials.....
even a few square feet......
and given the cost consious nature of manufacturing,
it's hard to imagine that would fly.....

cheers
2air'

but the bigger question is......
you ordered a new 50k$ trailer......
and don't know what's on the floors?!!!!!!!!!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
call me stupid

Hi 2Air,

I am bright enough to know what I see under my feet, and yes, our 06 25' Safari FB has carpet in the bedroom, under the lift up bed and in the storage area. Everywhere else it has wood looking vinyl. I believe the production date was February, 2006.

What I don't know is if there is vinyl under the carpet as was suggested by Canoe stream's post. I would have no way of knowing unless I pulled up the carpet in the bedroom. I was hoping that someone in the forum could answer this question without me tearing up my AS flooring.

Anybody got a clue?

John
Old 07-15-2006, 01:38 AM   #8
_

. , .
hi timemachine.....

reading your post suggested 2 me that you were awaiting delivery....
if you've walked on the carpet i'm sure it's there too!

so let's hope someone else chimes in here.....
the fb safari is a hot model,
lots are being sold
so lets look for owners.....

a couple of suggestions.....
1. an email or call to jackson center should answer this question for ya,

2. or peak into the outside storage via a door; look along the perimeter where wall meets floor, this is a pretty unfinished area, and the carpet/vinyl is poorly stapled down.....at least in mine. it is pretty easy to lift the flooring edge here and see if both carpet and vinyl are present...

rethinking this.....i don't even know if there are any outside access doors into the front end on a front bed safari unit?...... this is a classic model thread right?

i agree pulling the carpet would be high on my list if it can be done without too much cosmetic downside....some of the safari models had a thin diamond plate metal flooring in the storage areas...and this or vinyl would be so much better than carpet.

if ya do look, take a picture or 2 to share!

cheers
2air'

Old 07-15-2006, 05:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
`ishuman -- I spoke from experience when explaining the build of the Safari floor. You had better info on longer Classics. Models vary so much from each other; eg, the 22' CCD has a one piece ply floor which many of us would envy (reference: an old Pahaska thread).

The queen bed 25' FB SE has a curbside storage area near the front awning arm. The twin bed 25' FB SE has three outside-access storage doors at the front. There is a 5' wide compartment right behind the batteries, a 30" long compartment curbside front with access to the water heater bypass valves, and a 50" long compartment roadside front (doors for side compartments are approx 24" wide, front compartment approx 48" wide). And there is uninterrupted linoleum in all three.

John, I can assure you the Safari floor is as I described with linoleum under everything. I had my dealer verify this with Airstream before ordering the change to no carpet -- as long as they didn't change this before your build in Feb 2006. So follow 2air's suggestion to pull up a corner before you dive in. You'd then have staple holes from ex-carpet to deal with...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
2air and canoe,

Thanks for the follow up. I will take a look under the carpet and report back for anyone else out there who prefers sans carpet. One of the reasons we chose an SE model was to reduce the opportunty for bacteria growth, there is a lot more potential for bad stuff with carpeting as opposed to vinyl.

We still have not answered HubbyBear's original question about the 2006 28' Classic. Can anyone out there add to the thread?

John
Old 07-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
No linoleum

Update,

Well, I delicately pulled up the corner of the carpet in our Safari 25FB, and as 2air said, no linoleum or vinyl. What was there was a black, or very dark material (there was padding under the carpet too) which is probably the wood subfloor.

Sooooo....if the Classic is anything like the Safari models of 2006, there won't be linoleum/vinyl under the carpeted areas. As a note, the carpet and pad was stapled to the subfloor and was easy to pull up.

Hope this answers the original question.

John
Old 07-15-2006, 09:19 PM   #12
_

. , .
hello time machine.......

always pays to verify first hand.....

the black material you saw is likely to be this stuff....
that's used at the perimeter of the flooring...
i think it's intended to seal somewhat the wood/alum channel interface
or at least reduce wicking of water/condensation into the wood that might settle along the edges.....

while the carpet does have padding..
a solid nonbreathable layer like lino....under the carpet could promote condensation between these materials...more moisture, mildew and so on....so it seems...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior 1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	23614   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior 2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	23615  

Tags
2006 classic