Window latch and clasp repair
I'm sure it has been covered already somewhere, but thought I would post an easy fix for rusted and seized up window latches. I had several of my window latches that were stuck when I went to start opening windows. I tried spraying some penetrant on them in hopes they would free up, but they did not. Finally I removed them to get a look. There are just 4 small screws that attach the latch to the window sill. Once off I could see that I had no chance with the penetrant. There is a threaded shaft that rotates when you turn the handle, this in turn threads another piece in and out to open and close the latch. Mine were completely rusted up from rain and time.
For the fix, I soaked the threaded assembly in POR 15 Metal Prep. It is a rust remover / metal prep solution used prior to painting with the POR products. I let it soak over night, and by the morning enough of the rust had broken up that I was able to turn the threaded shaft! With a little anti seize on the shaft it is good to go! I was a little worried when I got them out as these little pieces are pricey costing $30+ a set, and I needed at least 4 of them!
I hope this helps save someone else a little money!