Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
we have just become the proud parents of a 1967 Overlander , now what ?

We have just made our first Airstream purchase of a 1967 Overlander . She has some great bones but her age is showing .

The interior is mostly original except for the floor and some windows . We have no stove, couch, upholstery, screens, window hardware or refrigerator .

The floor, the insulation, the wiring , all seals and gaskets will need to be replaced .

It will need a major scrub down plus a fresh coat of paint everywhere .

A few questions , where do we start ? I'm thinking that we should start with the exterior to make sure it is water tight and then move on to the frame .

Next question do we renovate or restore ? I tend to want to retain its old charm by retoring ( except the carpet ) but my husband thinks the original wood is too dark so he wants to renovate the interior by adding new lighter wood . Do we try for a compromise?

Any suggestions and advice you could give us would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Chris and Mike
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Congrats on your new purchase.

Water tight and protected from elements first which precludes elements doing anymore damage.

Then do you want to camp in it or work on it. Sometimes when you take them apart they don't get put back together for quite a while.

If your camping then road safety is a good second.

Enjoy

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
We actually currently own a 1977 Apache so the Airstream will be our project . We figure on camping in the Apache for another year or two until the Airstream is camp ready . The Airstream will be a camping trailer . She will be moving around , hopefully all over North America some day
Old 10-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Pictures please ! I love the look of the 60s Overlanders, but not being handy would be scared of a reno project.

I like the classic interiors with a slight refresh. Real wood veneers in mahogany, oak, ash? i think on some models.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Welcome! First thing is to find the Overlander a comfortable spot to park for a while. Access to electric and water are essential. Then make it weathertight. Does not have to be pretty, just keep any water from getting in. Pull up the carpet (usually it smells bad) so you can inspect the interior (floors, cabinets, etc.). If possible, test the electric - but be careful!!! Once you do all of that, you can start to figure out what to do. Draw up a plan. On mine, first thing was to replace part of the bathroom floor. This mean pulling out all bathroom fixtures (and several cabinets to get them out) and send them to be refinished. Then I could pull the black tank to see that the galvanized protector box was gone. Read through these forums, gather pictures of 67 Overlanders both stock and customed. 67 was a great year! Corning windows that are just pieces of art! On the dark cabinets, sand down a bit. I have ash, but if you have an International you will have mahogany. Sanding a little refinishing does wonders! Good luck!!!
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
We will need to find a dry spot for this winter , I peaked in to have a look and the windows are leaking big time ! We will need to order window parts first I guess .

Is there a video somewhere that could walk us through resealing the windows ?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
For me, there wasn't much of a choice between a renovation or a restoration. Out with the old, in with the new! I think that most vintage floor plans were intended for "two men and a dog", have way too much storage, and use parts that are now dangerously obsolete.

If you google a bit, you can see some of the fantastic interiors that folks have come up with. Timeless Trailers does an especially good job. Seeing things like that got my blood pumping, and the crowbar flying!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have a 66 and have restored or improved three others. I suggest this;
Water tight the thing with sealant first. The roof seams and around all vents and windows.
Then start working from the bottom up. Repair the floor & frame below it as and where needed, close up the belly pan, then move into the plumbing and water system.
Then electrical, and appliances.
Lastly the interior; walls, woodwork, floor etc. The gaucho or couch will be among the last things to get done.
This is a plan that has worked for me, and at some point the trailer becomes usable, though it may not yet be "pretty".
Best of luck. The oldies are great fun and you will take pride in bringing her back to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9128.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	250414  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Search this forum for information on Corning windows. They are frameless, curved glass that are pulled tight to a seal by small moving clips. All the parts, if you need to replace anything, are available from Vintage Trailer. They also have the windows that are good reproductions at a fair price.
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
For me, there wasn't much of a choice between a renovation or a restoration. Out with the old, in with the new! I think that most vintage floor plans were intended for "two men and a dog", have way too much storage, and use parts that are now dangerously obsolete.

If you google a bit, you can see some of the fantastic interiors that folks have come up with. Timeless Trailers does an especially good job. Seeing things like that got my blood pumping, and the crowbar flying!
Thank I will check them out , but I tend to get "attached " to old stuff , I love the new sleek look but I also love the quirky old stuff too . The Overlander has a cigarette lighter in the bathroom lol
Old 10-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
Pictures please ! I love the look of the 60s Overlanders, but not being handy would be scared of a reno project.

I like the classic interiors with a slight refresh. Real wood veneers in mahogany, oak, ash? i think on some models.
I will try to post photos , my interior looks like it is Mahogany .
Old 10-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisetmike View Post
We actually currently own a 1977 Apache so the Airstream will be our project . We figure on camping in the Apache for another year or two until the Airstream is camp ready . The Airstream will be a camping trailer . She will be moving around , hopefully all over North America some day
I camped in an Apache Roamer for 8 years before buying my Airstream.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I have a 66 and have restored or improved three others. I suggest this;
Water tight the thing with sealant first. The roof seams and around all vents and windows.
Then start working from the bottom up. Repair the floor & frame below it as and where needed, close up the belly pan, then move into the plumbing and water system.
Then electrical, and appliances.
Lastly the interior; walls, woodwork, floor etc. The gaucho or couch will be among the last things to get done.
This is a plan that has worked for me, and at some point the trailer becomes usable, though it may not yet be "pretty".
Best of luck. The oldies are great fun and you will take pride in bringing her back to use.
Thanks for the great advice ! What type of sealant work the best ? Do we need to clean the seams first , what do you use to remove the old caulking ? What about the lights on the exterior ? Should we replace them with new lights or can we clean the old ones and reseal ?
Old 10-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Buy Vulkem if you can find it, or get a Polymer gutter seal. I use Seamermate.
Use painters tape to outline where you will seal, try to get an animal syringe and fill it with the sealant, it will let you get a smaller bead in the seams.
Clean up with mineral spirits. Don't use silicon sealers they make a heck of a mess no are not aluminum friendly
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I camped in an Apache Roamer for 8 years before buying my Airstream.
We will be following the same path We have been camping in the Apache since 2008. Ours is a Ramada .

Tags
1967, 1967 overlander