Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2002, 02:05 PM   #1
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Wink Towing

hi again - I should have mentioned in my last post that my hub has an old 73 Ford Bronco. That is what he wants to eventually use as a tow vehicle. It needs alot (mostly new engine and pwr steering) to make it usable. Just wondered what thoughts anyone had on that if we make the new engine a V8? Its wheelbase is the same as our Jeep but not sure of tow capacity. He thinks towing our 78 Argosy with our 73 Bronco would be "way cool" Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 05:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Talking Ttowing

When towing any trailer fundamentals come into play. How much does the trailer weigh- what is the wheel base of the Bronco etc. Colorada has a lot of hills and that is an old truck. I'd be concerned about overheating.
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:38 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
With a Minuet the towing capacity should not be the issue, but wheelbase will be. The issue is that when, not if, the trailer begins to wag (from a semi passing, or a rapid avoidance of the wayward deer) the tow vehicle may not have the ability to regain control of the total rig.

The best way to describe this is that when the trailer heads right it will push the nose of the tow vehicle left, and the shorter the wheelbase the harder the shove. The driver will correct, but the correction will almost always be over correction and the whole thing will "sway or shove" the other way.

With a longer wheelbase the force required to "shove" the nose of the tow vehicle left or right increases due to the distances involved between the wheels of the tow vehicle. This makes the correction a more normal adjustment and the sway or "shove" is not as sever and can usually be handled with ease.

With all that being said:

I am not saying that you cannot tow with the beloved Bronco, I have seen it done. You just need to be sure you understand the phsyics involved in towing with said vehicle. I would also get a really good (Read expensive) sway controller to help to avoid the issue. Even if the guy at the RV place says "with that small of a trailer you don't need one" It is cheap insurance. I would also be sure to address the loose front end you mentioned in another post, as having to correct left/right right/left causes the trailer to wag back and forth and can start the cycle that can cause loss of control.

I am not trying to bring you down, I just want to speak to the saftey issue as the forum HATES to see pretty trailers with dents in them from something that was avoidable!

Keep us posted
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I agree with Brett, so does the heavy trucking industry. Think about how the semi tractors have grown in length over the years. It is all about stability and control. You just don't have it with a short wheel base vehicle.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

We have a '71 Bronco which is the same body and lenghth as the the 73. I have towed our 18 foot boat with the Bronco a couple of times. It was not a fun experience. The boat pushes the Bronco all over the road. I wouldn't recommend towing anything bigger than a small utility trailer with the Bronco unless you have a Hensley or a Pull Rite Hitch. I have seen a Jeep CJ towing an Airstream but he had the Hensley.

Just my nickels worth.

Best regards,
Lee
LeeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:18 AM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I think I am beginning to see this picture! Not wanting to end up in a ditch( and the ditches in Colorado can be mighty steep), I think we will stick with our Tahoe as towing vehicle of choice (for now) The Bronco is really needing alot of work done before it could be a drivable vehicle anyway. Maybe by that time, something will come along to give more options on towing! Thanks for input. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote